The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2024, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

A friend was giving me mandolin lessons to get me started off right. He gave me exercises and commented he knew they were tiresome and boring, but it was something I should do. I looked up with bewilderment and said I do not recall being bored with an instrument in my hands, ever. I can easily play scales and scale exercises for the first half hour of any practice session.

Right now I'm learning to use triads up the neck to string melodies together, and I watched a Guthrie Trap video using a mixolydian scale over simple I IV V progressions, and that kept me improvising with it all day. It really is a blessing to have a thirst for more knowledge. There is nothing more rewarding than to have a concept fall into place after a couple of weeks slogging along with something.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-24-2024, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Interesting, because I took about that long off for a career and to raise a family and started back playing six or eight years ago. One day I was a little melancholy and I told my wife that I just wish that I had kept it up, made time even though I was busy with other things and she told me that if I had, I would probably be tired of it by and doing other things now. So I guess my advise is to do something else for a while and see if it calls to you to come back one day.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-24-2024, 06:23 PM

I will try my mandolin (like Rlink). I also bought a violin that I haven't played yet. But when I get tired of the guitar or have more time over the summer I plan on fooling around with that. I also bought a bicycle and ride that sometimes- will more when it warms up. I write down songs that I would like to play from the radio and make a list. Recently I had a therapy kiddo (I'm a therapist) who was in an accident and could only use buttons to request basic things like "more." So after our "academic" work was done I would play songs for him. It put a big smile on his face because he loves music. I learned a new song per week for him. So that motivated me for a while. I've played for kids at the elementary school I work at and teach them the letters A thru G while I'm doing it (that's about all the alphabet that a guitar is good for). Any of those things might provide some motivation.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Smoke a little weed. (Legally, of course!)

Your passion will likely be rekindled.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 01-24-2024, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post

For some "Nacho Cheese Doritos" and a jar of dill pickles?!?

Sorry I just couldn't resist. But yes...that could work admirably.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-25-2024, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I am going through a bad bout of just feeling sick of it, after playing for 30 something years. Really feeling very uninterested and bored with it all. Not sure how to snap out of it, or if I should even care to. Maybe it's time to just stop?

What do others do when you hit ruts?
More portraits and drive to the redwoods for forest photography. I enjoy rotating or alternating back and forth. If I do too many photos, it's less enjoyable than intermittently shooting photos.

My forum use can be similar. Some people have messaged me before about my dormancy on either guitar, arborist or photography forums. But I often participate in bursts, then take a break for days, or even a couple months.

Maybe you don't need to snap out of something. Maybe just enjoy your other activities and in time migrate back to your guitar. If you're skilled though, seems like it's worth keeping your guitars so that others can enjoy your playing.

[IMG]KH_Blue_1200 by mdvaden, on Flickr[/IMG]

Portrait_1_1400 by mdvaden, on Flickr

- Hsienmo 38S, Sinker Redwood

- Hsienmo Autumn, European Spruce

- Teton STA180CEAB-AR, Sitka Spruce

- Teton STS205CENT, Thuja / Redcedar
Old 01-25-2024, 02:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Right now I'm learning to use triads up the neck to string melodies together, and I watched a Guthrie Trap video using a mixolydian scale over simple I IV V progressions, and that kept me improvising with it all day.
I've only ever come across the mixolydian scale in the context of fiddle tunes and old time songs (Old Joe Clark, Red Haired Boy, June Apple, Going to Boston, Little Maggie etc). The chords used are I, VIIb, V. So in the key of A (where many mixolydian tunes traditionally sit) that would be A, G and E. Mixolydian scale tunes arise from playing diatonic instruments a 5th above their natural pitch (playing a D flute in A for example).

There you go; that's piqued the interest of a few folks who were tired of playing and got them picking up their guitars again to work that one out.

Wondering about stuff leads to the wonder of discovery.

BTW... I love the portraits in MDVaden's post above.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-25-2024, 02:16 AM

Bored, frustrated, lack of motivation?

Step way from the guitar for a few days. It's meant to be fun not a chore.
Old 01-25-2024, 02:49 AM

I pick up another instrument.
Electric guitar
Bass
Flute
Keyboard

I think it's a good idea to do this, now and then, well before you get bored with (in this case) acoustic guitar. It gets you thinking differently and the other instruments compel different things from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post

That works also.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

One of my bookshelves holds a few hundred classical guitar pieces that I have acquired, over the years, with the idea of learning to play them some day. That shelf always seems to supply me with a new challenge to spark some interest.

My mandolin and digital keyboard also offer a diversion. A different instrument provides variety while maintaining, and often expanding, basic music skills.

Attending, and participating in, open mics, salons, and jams remind me of an entire community that many people have built. Interacting with other musicians also supplies me with motivation.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:22 AM

These days I may take a nap. Then I try to rekindle songs from the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Sometimes I rearrange tempos and melodies. Anything that makes me smile.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

When I am bored with what I am playing I just look up how to play some song that I’ve been wanting to play. Lately I do that with Nick Drake songs, which can be a bit challenging. The alt tunings are cool too and get up playing in some different ways. I especially like the CGCFCE tuning that Nick Drake used a lot. It has a very cool sound to it.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 01-25-2024, 08:30 AM

Just don't play. Simple.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

If I get bored of fingerpicking I'll get take my dread off the wall and do some flatpicking or I might play some slide on my new resophonic. It does help to have some different guitars to change things up.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
When I am bored with what I am playing I just look up how to play some song that I’ve been wanting to play. Lately I do that with Nick Drake songs, which can be a bit challenging. The alt tunings are cool too and get up playing in some different ways. I especially like the CGCFCE tuning that Nick Drake used a lot. It has a very cool sound to it.
Ha! Try learning the picking pattern to Riverman.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion