The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
One way to think of this is to separate vintage guitars for collectors that are more rare and/or are in the best cosmetic and original condition, from “player grade” ones showing lots of wear, with repaired cracks, etc. I got my 1950 Martin 00-18 six years ago, which looks like it’s had a rough life, plus a few well repaired cracks, and sounds amazing, for less than a new one would have cost. Comparable ones on Reverb are listed for about twice what I paid, but still under 5k. While I had often read posts about how nice vintage guitars could sound here on the AGF, it wasn’t until the first strum with mine that I understood what could be possible. Later that year I played a 1946 or so 00-28 on consignment at a local store. Unlike the great condition of the neck on my guitar, there was excessive, deep wear between some of the lower frets, it didn’t sound so great compared to mine, and the high e buzzed. It belonged to the collection of a well known collector, and the “reduced” price was over $20K.
IMO no one who wanted one that age and condition to actually play and enjoy would get it, but it would appeal to a collector, who would be fine with the price.

This is where it gets a bit difficult with pricing. Both a 1950 00-18 and 1946 00-28 can be excellent guitars without question but neither is really that desirable to a serious collector. I know this sounds crazy but it's true. Both are post-war examples with the changes that came about then. Again, both can be excellent guitars so I'm not knocking either and I currently own a 1950 000-18 that I love. As for the pricing, 20k for a guitar that isn't going to impress your collector friends and maybe doesn't play great is just going to sit on the wall forever but 5k for a fantastic sounding and playing guitar seems pretty good if that makes any sense. The guitars that I see sitting forever are the ones like the '46 00-28. They're sort of in a grey area between the serious collector and player.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

I pay little attention to price unless it's a guitar I'm interested in. Either way, price is not something I get emotional about; it's just the last logistical hurdle to overcome in a negotiation.

People can ask any price they want and the market will tell them if they were right. What the OP considers 'ridiculous', another shopper may buy the next day, and if so, then the guitar was priced correctly.

Since the vintage market has been mentioned, that's a different ballgame. It's the Wild West. A vintage guitar's merits as an instrument (how it plays and what it sounds like) is secondary to what it IS (model, age, condition, originality, scarcity, desirability, etc.).

A 1938 Martin D-28 just showed up at Dream Guitars priced at more than $108K. Is that price reasonable or ridiculous? Since I'm not interested, it's just an idle question to me, but if I had to speculate, I'll bet it will find a buyer.

Last year, Dream Guitars had a 1930 Martin OM-45 Deluxe, one of only 11 made, listed at over $500K, that was probably sold before it was listed, since it was marked 'sold' the next day. Many on this forum who think $2K is a lot to pay for a guitar, saw the listing, got their panties in a bunch and lost their minds over the price.

I suggested that those who can pay that much for a guitar are not like us and that everyone should just calm down and admire it the way they would someone's yacht, private jet, or Lamborghini.

In my years on this forum, if there's a single hot-button topic guaranteed to provoke pages of responses, it's the price of guitars.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 05-08-2024 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
I pay little attention to price unless it's a guitar I'm interested in. Either way, price is not something I get emotional about; it's just the last logistical hurdle to overcome in a negotiation.

People can ask any price they want and the market will tell them if they were right. What the OP considers 'ridiculous', another shopper may buy the next day, and if so, then the guitar was priced correctly.

Since the vintage market has been mentioned, that's a different ballgame. It's the Wild West. A vintage guitar's merits as an instrument (how it plays and what it sounds like) is secondary to what it IS (model, age, condition, originality, scarcity, desirability, etc.).

A 1938 Martin D-28 just showed up at Dream Guitars priced at more than $108K. Is that price reasonable or ridiculous? Since I'm not interested, it's just an idle question to me, but if I had to speculate, I'll bet it will find a buyer.

Last year, Dream Guitars had a 1930 Martin OM-45 Deluxe, one of only 11 made, listed at over $500K, that was probably sold before it was listed, since it was marked 'sold' the next day. Many on this forum who think $2K is a lot to pay for a guitar, saw the listing, got their panties in a bunch and lost their minds over the price.

I suggested that those who can pay that much for a guitar are not like us and that everyone should just calm down and admire it the way they would someone's yacht, private jet, or Lamborghini.

In my years on this forum, if there's a single hot-button topic guaranteed to provoke pages of responses, it's the price of guitars.
While I agree that people can price things however they want I have to say I do NOT "admire" yachts, private jets or Lambos. I know what kind of person it takes to get these things and how they could have spent so much less and made the lives of other people so much better with the excess funds (yes, I know some folks are charitable and still spend big bucks but such an ostentatious display of spending has never impressed me).
Old 05-07-2024, 09:28 AM

It’s not just vintage Gibson and Martin guitars. The classifieds here usually have several used guitars priced within a few hundred dollars of brand new. As a buyer I will buy new every time over used at inflated prices.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Maybe they aren't trying to do anything, maybe they just aren't motivated sellers. I'm not on Reverb looking at guitars a lot and when I am I'm usually just curious, not looking for something to buy. I'm not up on what guitars are selling for. But up until a few years ago I always had three or four vintage two cylinder motorcycles in my garage that I was restoring and riding. It was like a lot of people are here, buying and selling guitars, I was buying and selling motorcycles every few months during the summer.

As soon as I bought an old motorcycle, I put it on the internet for sale. And usually for a lot more than I paid for it. I mean, that is what flipping is all about. Trying to make as much money as you can. Sometimes someone would come along who wanted what I had enough to pony up the cash. I didn't sell a lot of them, I usually ended up trading them to someone I ran into at motorcycle events for something else. Most of the time I rode them around until then. I never thought about it, I suppose that could be frustrating to someone looking for deals. I can't say as those were my customer base, so I didn't really cater to their needs to get a deal.

Regardless, I wasn't the only one doing that, so it doesn't surprise me that people would be doing the same with guitars. I guess it is just the way it is and buyers are going to have to deal with it in whatever way they can.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 05-07-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
They just put the guitar on there so they could tell their spouse they are trying…
Yep, it happens!
2022 Breedlove Oregon Series CE Blackberry
2023 Eastman E20D-MR-TC
1973 Hohner Contessa HG-22 Slothead Steel 12-fret
1977 Continental something-or-other Nylon
Old 05-07-2024, 11:17 AM

Kinda feels like the supply shortage during Covid made prices go up. Now that we’re past Covid, sellers don’t wanna go back down. My take anyway…

Current:
2009 Esteve 8 EIR/Romanian Spruce
2001 Fender Stratocaster vintage '62

Upcoming:
Sundberg 000-28 12 fret EIR/Sitka

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2008 Taylor GC8
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 05-07-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
One way to think of this is to separate vintage guitars for collectors that are more rare and/or are in the best cosmetic and original condition, from “player grade” ones showing lots of wear, with repaired cracks, etc. I got my 1950 Martin 00-18 six years ago, which looks like it’s had a rough life, plus a few well repaired cracks, and sounds amazing, for less than a new one would have cost. Comparable ones on Reverb are listed for about twice what I paid, but still under 5k. While I had often read posts about how nice vintage guitars could sound here on the AGF, it wasn’t until the first strum with mine that I understood what could be possible. Later that year I played a 1946 or so 00-28 on consignment at a local store. Unlike the great condition of the neck on my guitar, there was excessive, deep wear between some of the lower frets, it didn’t sound so great compared to mine, and the high e buzzed. It belonged to the collection of a well known collector, and the “reduced” price was over $20K.
IMO no one who wanted one that age and condition to actually play and enjoy would get it, but it would appeal to a collector, who would be fine with the price.
That doesn't always hold unless the person is just a collector. Sure, an unmolested version will bring in more money than a player, but often the drop is not so steep as one might think.

If I intend to pay the guitar (rather than just display it), one that shows wear means it has been played and is probably a good guitar. A 60+ year old guitar that is mint makes me think the guitar has a good chance of being a dud.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

One of the many reasons I love my son in law is that he thinks it is a hoot to show up to a monthly car event where the McClarens, Lambos, Ferraris and E Type jags show up for the I've got one you don't crowd. He likes to park next to a $200,000 car in his 74 MG Midget, very much a work in progress. Pops the hood and proudly proclaims he's got 65 horsepower.

Just like pre war Martins, I'm not saying people don't like their uber expensive cars, but you can get that MG wound up pretty much anywhere and not be speeding. Can't get a Ferrari out of second gear.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-07-2024, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
One of the many reasons I love my son in law is that he thinks it is a hoot to show up to a monthly car event where the McClarens, Lambos, Ferraris and E Type jags show up for the I've got one you don't crowd. He likes to park next to a $200,000 car in his 74 MG Midget, very much a work in progress. Pops the hood and proudly proclaims he's got 65 horsepower.

Just like pre war Martins, I'm not saying people don't like their uber expensive cars, but you can get that MG wound up pretty much anywhere and not be speeding. Can't get a Ferrari out of second gear.
Oh, blast from the past. My mate had a wee midget. Cracking wee thing. I only recall it because we were playing footie and someone in the other team clobbered him and knackered his arm. I had to drive him to hospital in his wee midget. Great fun ... for me.

PS I think the US export buggered the car. I recall (I think) that it needed so many mods to pass safety regs it slowed it up a lot. I recall they changed the wee chrome bumpers for horrible black ones. BUT ... you can't beat the thrill of driving at 6 inches off the ground

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 05-07-2024, 05:29 PM

I'm still waiting for the OP to provide an example of "ridiculous vintage prices".
It will give some idea of his perspective.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 05-07-2024, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I'm still waiting for the OP to provide an example of "ridiculous vintage prices".
It will give some idea of his perspective.
Here y’a go: https://reverb.com/item/79190866-gib...ntent=79190866

That’s just one. There are others with higher asking prices.

I saw a 64 LG-0 in similar condition sell for 700 at guitar center.

Last edited by rollypolly; 05-08-2024 at 07:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2024, 03:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
While I agree that people can price things however they want I have to say I do NOT "admire" yachts, private jets or Lambos. I know what kind of person it takes to get these things and how they could have spent so much less and made the lives of other people so much better with the excess funds (yes, I know some folks are charitable and still spend big bucks but such an ostentatious display of spending has never impressed me).
And we're back to excessive cost yet again.

Like Talk2Me, I am likewise repelled by conspicuous consumption, but regardless of their cost, one can admire beautiful things without envy or judgement. At least some can.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

They’re still cheaper than Carter Vintage…
Old 05-08-2024, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
It amazes me how judgmental some people are about others whom they may not have ever met. It would be nice if we have a discussion about market forces, prices, etc. without casting aspersions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion