The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-08-2024, 04:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello folks!

the build is proceeding, here some video I published on instagram:

And then there's sanding, sanding, sanding. And when you think you're finished, there's a little bit more sanding... 😳😳😳
But yes, accurately preparing the sides for cutting the binding channel is mandatory.
In the meantime, I open the pocket for the External Tuning Slot, hidden within the end graft. The External Tuning Slot is an innovative feature that for the first time is ever used on an acoustic guitar, I will come back on this detail later on, on the final stages of tuning of the guitar.

30 seconds of cutting binding channels, on a diy router support with the @stewmac_guitar bit. The bindings are ebony/maple, handmade @maderasbarber at exactly 2.5mm of thickness. This detail will allow me to gently round the edge of the body to avoid uncomfortable sharp angles, and improve the quality of nitro finishing on the edges. 😊

Preparing wooden bindings is the first step to get a great fit and clean aesthetic of the finished body. 🙂

Thanks for following the build!
Cheers,
Giuliano
Old 05-12-2024, 07:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

And the final part of the binding job, from a previous build (sorry, no time for a new video).

The binding job on Iulius Guitars models is more delicate than the standard OM guitar, due to the complex shape of the bended upper bout of the body, that holds the overhang neck. Wood bindings have to perfectly fit this profile, and careful 3D bending is necessary, before gluing operations. Eventually the shape of the body is so natural, organic, comfortable, that the extra job is fully worth it. ��

Cheers,
Giuliano
Old 06-03-2024, 09:59 AM

Beautiful! The bending of the bindings in 3D is impressive!
Old 06-04-2024, 11:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hello Folks,

Binding is finished, and it's time to fine tune the soundport dimensions to my target frequency for the first acoustic resonance, the mode T(1,1)1.
The shape of Orchestra's soundport allows me to adapt its opening to each specific build, before the binding, to place this resonance exactly in the right spot, before proceeding with the finishing of the guitar body.
Here you can see a picture with a couple of measurements during the tuning, before binding:

Please note that this frequency will change once the bridge will be glued, and te instrument stringed; I can compensate this difference, as I know exactly what the frequency have to be in this stage, thanks to previous records of this very same model.

Here a short video showing the binding of the soundhole:

And now we can have a look at the two twins Orchestra waiting for the neck pocket to be realised, and then the External Tuning Slot and the tailblock.

Still not sure about the one I will bring with me at the Fretboard Summit, in August. Any preference?

And here a short video of the bridge realisation, mostly with my small CNC machine:

Cheers,
Giuliano
Old 06-04-2024, 02:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Beautiful! The bending of the bindings in 3D is impressive!
thank you!
Giuliano
Old 06-04-2024, 02:58 PM

Wow, I am certainly impressed with the detail, especially to the dimensions and tuning of the soundport! This is a sure sign that no small item is being overlooked. Very nice work!
Old 06-05-2024, 08:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Wow, I am certainly impressed with the detail, especially to the dimensions and tuning of the soundport! This is a sure sign that no small item is being overlooked. Very nice work!
Thank you, sir.
Giuliano

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop