The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2023, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koopid View Post
I've had a set of the luxe kovar strings on my OM-18 for about a month now. They definitely remind me of monels more than anything else. I can't say I hate them, but I definitely don't love them either. Suffice it to say that I'll be going back to PBs on this particular guitar, but I'm not going to change them until I've gotten a few more miles out of them and they start to show some wear.
I bought 2 sets hoping for a brighter Monel kind of sound. I didn't like them at all, pulled them off my Waterloo in less that 3 weeks. They were brighter, but didn't have that deep resonance that Monels have, I'd caution anybody going after these because they like Monels. Strings are such an individual thing though, each guitar will be different, as well as the way they're played. I'm fingerstyle, mostly flesh, if someone is strumming with a pick or using fingerpicks, they may have a completely different experience. Ive got a set of my old favorite John Pearse PB's on the Waterloo now, and man they sound great. In between I tried a set of Ernie Ball Alum Bronze, and though I like them a lot more, they weren't the string for me either. Monels are on my LG2, I like that I've helped give these 2 guitars 2 distinct voices. Both great in different ways.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 12-15-2023, 06:08 PM

Interesting alloy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kovar but calling it a nickel-cobalt alloy is a bit of a misnomer IMHO: the typical composition is 53.49% iron.

Any good videos comparing them with the more usual suspects, that include fingerpicking and ample use of the fretboard range and preferably not made just after restringing (nor with lots of blabbering ) ?

This one has a reasonable comparison at the end; I'm tempted to say the Kovars make that fake-wood dread sound a bit like an archtop (that's a good thing for me) or maybe as if it has rosewood B&S.

BTW, how is the feel under the fingers? Monel wrap always give an impression of roughness to me (alu-bronze was even worse), are these similar?

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-16-2023, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

Any good videos comparing them with the more usual suspects, that include fingerpicking and ample use of the fretboard range and preferably not made just after restringing (nor with lots of blabbering ) ?

There is this one

https://youtu.be/sYiqtVt_-rY?si=AfSFfSLRE2lec8h7
Old 12-16-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Yeah, saw that one, skipped to the playing part the start of which is thankfully given in the description, but was pretty disappointed. Ttrying to find a not-too-negative term I can only think of "honky-tonk" sound. It's also not a comparison video so we don't know how this guitar sounds under this player's fingers with more common strings on it.

I did listen to a bunch of other videos and was surprised that apparently no one looked up kovar. I mean, sure, the presence of nickel in addition to the >50% iron must increase the alloys magnetic presence but it's still not the main reason the alloy will be detected by electromagnetic PUs

Funny you never hear about nickel allergies in this context, btw!

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 12-16-2023, 07:36 AM

I really like these strings. I gave up on PB strings a while ago. Switching to Monel strings changed my entire playing experience. I can play for hours with no fatigue. I always felt like I was fighting with bronze strings. These are a step uo from Monel strings for me. I had been using Mangan round core monels prior.

Side note.

I was on Martin's site, and it says these are " licensed by Ernie Ball". I found that interesting
Old 12-16-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdrew22 View Post
I was on Martin's site, and it says these are " licensed by Ernie Ball". I found that interesting
I'm not a lawyer, so my descriptions may be misplaced, but Ernie Ball "owns" the formula/alloy percentage components of these strings. They have nothing to do with the manufacturing process.
Old 12-16-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Ernie Ball "owns" the formula/alloy percentage components of these strings.
Curious to say the least. IIUC kovar is like monel, a family of alloys that should be available in bulk. EB may have managed to patent or copyright one particular blend as "musical kovar" or whatever they called it but there have to be other flavours that have the same relevant properties (for string *sound* that would be the metallicity index).
Unless EB did their research and "mapped" all ranges of alloy composition that are useful for string wrap wire?

Old 12-16-2023, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Curious to say the least. IIUC kovar is like monel, a family of alloys that should be available in bulk. EB may have managed to patent or copyright one particular blend as "musical kovar" or whatever they called it but there have to be other flavours that have the same relevant properties (for string *sound* that would be the metallicity index).
Unless EB did their research and "mapped" all ranges of alloy composition that are useful for string wrap wire?
Way above my pay grade. Dunno. I'm just glad the strings are available.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Ok, I'll admit that I thought that the $35 Bluechip pick was a marketing scam, and now I have at least one for each flat top.

Reading this forum has cost me various silly purchases, and I'm grateful that Eliot McKinney who refused to sell me a capo because I'm in the UK. (and thanks to Robin, Prince of Wales for sending me a stirrup capo to try (now used on my 12 string!

But these strings ARE available in the UK.

I recently bought three packs of D'addario "XS" Lights for my 00 guitars at £14 each rather than EJ16s for £28 for three EJ16s - which mostly last me for three months.

Not sure I like them but ... I thought I'd try coated strings for the winter.

XS strings are now £17.30 ($22) a pack, but these Luxe Kovar strings are £23 ($29) a pack.

So, I'm thinking if uncoated last me three months, and I'm nearly 76, will a set of Kovars see me out ?
Old 12-16-2023, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Interesting strings that I have yet to try. I will say that it is not an oxymoron for me to have strings characterized as both warm and bright. In my experience, the opposite of warm is cold and the opposite of bright is dull. So, I have played guitars that sounded warm and dull and those that sound warm and bright. I prefer the latter. And, yes, I know that using words to describe tone is a futile exercise. :-)
I will probably try these strings at some point so appreciate the discussion.
Best,
Jayne
Old 12-31-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Interesting strings that I have yet to try. I will say that it is not an oxymoron for me to have strings characterized as both warm and bright. In my experience, the opposite of warm is cold and the opposite of bright is dull. So, I have played guitars that sounded warm and dull and those that sound warm and bright. I prefer the latter. And, yes, I know that using words to describe tone is a futile exercise. :-)
I will probably try these strings at some point so appreciate the discussion.
Best,
Jayne
Jayne, you're aware since receiving my Santa Cruz OM, I've found the greater damping in the tone of my OM-28 less satisfying. I'm not per se against the more muted tones of the Martin, however I barely play her since receiving the Santa Cruz.

I'm not even sure I have words to properly contrast the tone of these vs the PB parabolics I usually have on my Santa Cruz OM. The kovar strings on the Santa Cruz pushed her already bright, piano-like tone farther still, and a bit unbalanced. If the mid-range was even more lush with harmonics, the bass and treble ranges felt a little thin (again, contrast). However I'd also thought in the first days of playing them, they might well sound better on the Martin.

I got to that string change yesterday, and while I still have a week to return this set to Martin, they make me want to play this guitar again (since getting the SCGC OM, I've had 80-20s on the Martin, those helped, and the kovar strings are that much better). So now, while she still has the greater warmth, she's brighter than before. (And to be sure, I'm not knocking this guitar, it's got a great sound, I just think in the long term, I don't wish to own more than one rosewood axe).

My plan had been to move along the OM-28 as soon as I've built a guitar I like better, and I've been feeling there's a good chance of that being my first build (Sitka > maple). With these strings on, I think the Martin is maybe safe until I've gotten to building an axe in mahogany?

TBD, anyway, I like the OM-28 better with the kovar strings than any others I've bent on before (Martin, D'A PB & 80-20, TI spectrum & classic S, SUS). If they last as well as I expect, I'll be buying more in due time, I'll also be curious to see how the Santa Cruz guitar sounds with kovar strings in another 2-3 years.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Interesting alloy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kovar but calling it a nickel-cobalt alloy is a bit of a misnomer IMHO: the typical composition is 53.49% iron.
The vast majority of metal production and metallurgy is iron based (cast iron and various steels). So it's not uncommon to refer to the principal non-iron component of a steel as its identifier, so if you say Cr-Mo, I know your speaking of steel with chrome & molybdenum as the main components other than iron. Then we have metals based on copper, aluminum, nickel, etc. So if I reference a nickel based super alloy, that's nickel as the largest fraction.

About the licensed Ernie Ball patent.. as I read it, it doesn't even cover the formulation of kovar. I take this to be a patent troll .. it's generally difficult to convince a jury that a patent is invalid, most juries will give the benefit of the doubt to the patent holder. I'd wager Martin is simply paying a license fee because it's the most cost effective approach.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:01 PM

I’m evaluating a set of the Kovar strings on my Kopp K-35 (Mahogany and Adirondack). So far my impression is favorable on this guitar. I’ve been using D’Addario XS’s, mainly for their longevity. They sound good and offer a lot of power, but perhaps ad a little too much “zing” to the sound. I feel the Kovar strings take some of that out—perhaps a little warmer and with a little less volume, which isn’t a bad thing. I’m liking the midrange too. Time will tell—-
Old 01-01-2024, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
It's interesting though, as from the description I should like them - I find Monel slightly too muted, so brighter than that would be good. I like a lovely warm tone, so warmer than PB should be perfect...

That's not my experience of them though - to me they sound VERY metallic, there's no woody acoustic warmth, just the sound of a very different set of strings, almost as though they've detached their sound from that of the guitar entirely.

Oh well, to each their own, just my opinion, doesn't mean I'm right, but I am disappointed!
My experience exactly! And they are loud, but in a way that sacrifices quality. I don’t mind getting more volume out this guitar, but these strings have a harsh, brash loudness. Dropped pitch down to E flat, which helped a lot; so much that I will leave them on until a bunch D’Addario Nickel Bronze arrives.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMunkee View Post
Also, I've just looked up their 'refund guarantee'

"Returns must include a copy of the original receipt, all original packaging, and all contents of packaging including Kovar strings."

Yeah, because we all keep the packet once we've finished stringing our guitar... Not only that, but it's US only and screw the rest of us. Hmmmmm...
I'll pay £40 for a Blue Chip Pick, which will outlast me, and I'll pay for good strings, but I won't be rushing out to spend £23 ($30 USD) on a set of strings any time soon.

I fell for the "wonder stuff" with XS strings put on in December. Can't wait to take them off.

DR Rare are - "meh", Dunlop put too much winding on the bridge end, and John Pearse still arrive ready corroded.

I just keep going back to EJ16/17 or Martin MA540/550, but quite like the "T" versions. They all last me about three months and I quite like changing strings anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion