The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2023, 11:44 PM

I own one of each and am equally at home on both.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
it's really simple
must
have
both

(at least one of each,, more is gooder)
Yaaaaaaaaas.

Although, I have a hard tail Strat? It’s the one I’d keep if I could only have one.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:25 AM

Its funny how little they overlap, and how the tele turned out to be the more versatile while at the same time being the ultimate niche guitar for electric country. The strat on the other hand has very characteristic strat sound and not as amenable to variations on that. Sort of, and speaking in generalities of course, and regarding the basic design. How wonderful how the different variations on these designs have played out over the years, from super strats to humbucker teles. I had a G and L tele that definitely had a Les Paul vibe, even with the single coils or whatever that p90 shape pickup design was.
Old 04-08-2023, 07:21 AM

Anecdotally, years ago when in Nashville, we heard a great country band in one of the bars. The guitar player was playing a Strat (sacrilege) and it sounded for all the world like a Tele, twang and all.
During a break I asked him how he got that thing to sound like a Tele…he just smiled and said “my secret.”

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-09-2023, 12:00 PM

I've had both but prefer Tele's out of the two. Strat's always feel wooly to me to play. That said, a nice SG junior or Les Paul junior can eat the bridge pickup sounds on both Tele's and Strat's for breakfast. And then there's the Eastman single coil guitars. Very nice too.
Old 04-09-2023, 02:29 PM

Just a question. Have you heard every single coil bridge pickup made for Teles and Strats?
My Tele overwound bridge pup with 5/16” pole pieces will crank right along side a P90.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-09-2023, 03:23 PM
Guest 61722

Breaking News! I come with updated information from my first field test mission with electric guitars. I went to Guitar Center this morning to give them a try. It. was. so. illuminating!

First - I tried a Telecaster, this one:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...tric-Guitar.gc

Fender Player Series Tele, $849. I plugged it into this amp:
Boss Katana KTN-50 MKII 50W 1x12 Combo, a modeling amp.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/BOSS/Ka...bo%20Amplifier

General impressions -
Electric Guitar is nothing like acoustic guitar. I did not like hearing the pick on the strings, and the sound of the guitar through the amp at the same time. The neck on the Telecaster is chonky! The strings felt very wierd, almost like nylon classical guitar strings but like they could snap at any moment. I would not say it was "love at first strum." It had very few knobs to fiddle with. And I did enjoy bending the strings quite a bit. I did NOT sound like Merle Haggard in any way, shape or form, however I did not let that stop me from bashing my way through "Mama Tried" (while singing) much to the annoyance of my fellow shoppers. LOL!!!

After a half hour of torturing myself and others, I traded the Tele for a Strat. It was the same series, same price and same color as the Tele above. It had notably more controls, pick ups, gizmos and features. I plugged that into a TUBE amp. Bonus points for being aqua. It was King Imperial MK II Tube Guitar Combo Amp. It was used, and priced at $1,874.00. One strum and I *immediately* understood why the amp is far more important than the guitar with electric. The Katana amp was $269.00 brand new. The sound through the tube amp was so much better. I did not play the Telecaster through the tube amp, but I would do that if I were serious about buying one. I like the feel and playability of the Strat a lot better, even though I did not make use of any of the extra frills. Still, it was not an instant love affair either.

I came away realizing I need to get a lot better at playing, especially how I use a flat pick before I even consider getting an electric guitar. It's too soon. I did not like the sound or feel of the electric for finger picking. It almost seemed to me like a different instrument. Yes, it's a guitar, but it's an electric guitar. It's a different animal all together.

I am not ready yet. I have so much more to learn about playing in general, and I want to get A LOT better with my acoustic before I go venturing into electric. I thought it would feel a lot more like an electrified acoustic, but it's not.

It's its whole own genre.

But that tube amp! It was great. And you cannot bend acoustic strings like that. Wow, that was fun!

I also learned that I'll probably end up spending more than I thought would need to, which is what happened with getting an acoustic. At the end of the day, I want good quality guitar stuff, and that costs money whether it runs on air or on electricity. Which is another thing that is giving me pause. If I'm going to spend on an electric set up what I'm willing to spend for a good acoustic, I better be as committed to learning electric as I am to learning acoustic, because there is definitely a learning curve.

This thread continues over in the Acoustic Forum... because you know I didn't just walk out of the store after my little adventure in the electric room.

The last thought before I go is that there's just no substitute for trying stuff out in person. This has happened to me so many times in the last year. I would get all excited about something I saw or read on the internet, but in real life it was nothing like I thought it would be. I guess if you are very experienced, you can get away with not testing it all out first. I'm still at the point where I need to see it, feel it, play it, myself before I can decide yes/no to buy it.
Old 04-09-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
Breaking News! I come with updated information from my first field test mission with electric guitars.
Cool to hear your final decision. I've been kind of following your progress on the electric guitar front (seeing that you've posted many threads). But, don't worry, I have a feeling that you'll end up with an electric sooner than you think: I'm going to go out on a limb and predict you'll get one before Xmas.

Check out the Fender Blues Jr, it's a very reasonably priced amp that sounds good. Used, they can be had for $300. I've never liked the Katanas (feels too unrefined; not sure if that's the best description. Unrefined as in digital-sounding/fake-sounding unrefined.)
Old 04-09-2023, 04:07 PM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict you'll get one before Xmas.
I'm not so sure about that. A) because I thought 100% of my acoustic guitar playing skills would be instantly transferrable to the electric and that is not true. I would have some skills transfer over, but I would also be taking a big step back and heading up another steep learning curve. Not sure I want to commit to that when I still have so much more ahead of me to learn for acoustic. Time will tell.

And B) because I played a D-28 while I was at GC today and my heart went pitter patter in a way that I'm confident no electric guitar and amp will make it do, no matter how expensive or how skilled I might ever get at playing it. The heart knows what it wants. My main guitar squeeze is named "Martin."

But it's early days... so watch this space. While I'm continuing to research, I am going to work on trying to figure out adapt and arrange my favorite electric guitar songs for acoustic. There will a lot to learn with that effort, I'm sure!
Old 04-09-2023, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janinep7 View Post
...I came away realizing I need to get a lot better at playing, especially how I use a flat pick before I even consider getting an electric guitar. It's too soon. I did not like the sound or feel of the electric for finger picking. It almost seemed to me like a different instrument. Yes, it's a guitar, but it's an electric guitar. It's a different animal all together.

I am not ready yet. I have so much more to learn about playing in general, and I want to get A LOT better with my acoustic before I go venturing into electric. I thought it would feel a lot more like an electrified acoustic, but it's not.

It's its whole own genre. ...
Hi Janine,

That's the way I have always felt about electric guitars, too. For me, it has taken some time to get used to the much more subtle approach. I don't don't think I will ever be as comfortable on electric guitars as I am on acoustic guitars, even though I have been playing one since 1978.

But... electric guitars can be a lot of fun, too. Still, I think you have the right idea, to get used to acoustic guitars, first.

- Glenn
Old 04-09-2023, 07:08 PM

Jannie No surprise how you've reacted, as they are different animals entirely

One thing you do seem to understand tho, is how critical the amp is for electric guitars. And along with that, especially a tube amp, are the pickups.

With an acoustic amp you want it to be transparent, and reproduce as close to the natural sound as you can get.

With electric, and an amp, it's a different world entirely.

From acoustic guitar to this, it's just about twice what night and day is.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-09-2023, 07:30 PM

15 years ago I bought a Telecaster and a tube amp, thinking I would basicaly play the way I had learned to play classical and steel-string acoustic guitar with my fingernails.

Several months, a couple different guitars, lots of tube rolling and mods to the amp, a new pair of pickups for the Tele and a few pedals later...

I sold the whole mess off cheaply just to get rid. Turns out you can't just dig into a set of 9-gauge electric guitar strings with your fingernails, playing through a loud as heck little tube amp and a really twangy Nocaster bridge pickup and get it to sound like music. At all. Who knew?

Fast forward to January 2022. I came back to electric guitar with much more realistic expectations, a few years experience with a flatpick and I'm happy as can be making music on a Telecaster (same model as you tried) and a stereo pair of Katanas with a whole chain of pedals.

The key for me is, I started over from scratch with electric guitar and didn't try to bring ANY techniques or preconceptions over from acoustic guitar other than the basics of where to put my fingers to play the notes. And I'm pursuing music that sounds like what's in my head rather than trying to sound like Neil Young or Roy Buchanan or Merle Haggard or whoever. It's working wonderfully.

Like everything in life, it comes down to expectations versus preparation versus timing. When it's the right time, good things come easy. When it's not, they don't come at all.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 04-10-2023, 05:58 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Jannie No surprise how you've reacted, as they are different animals entirely

One thing you do seem to understand tho, is how critical the amp is for electric guitars. And along with that, especially a tube amp, are the pickups.

With an acoustic amp you want it to be transparent, and reproduce as close to the natural sound as you can get.

With electric, and an amp, it's a different world entirely.

From acoustic guitar to this, it's just about twice what night and day is.
Ray, you are one of the wisest people on this forum.

But if anyone had told me ahead of time how I was going to react to trying electric for the first time, I wouldn't have believed it. Guitar is a very experiential thing. You gotta try it, play it, do it for yourself and that is how you learn.

With acoustic, it's all about the guitar. With electric, it's mostly about all the other equipment. Electrics provide a totally different aesthetic experience. Not better or worse, just very very different. I can see why people who start learning on an electric have trouble making the shift to acoustic. I thought going from acoustic to electric would be a breeze. That was 100% incorrect. It may be slightly less challenging, but it's still quite a challenge. I want to be a solid acoustic player before I take on another instrument, and I have a long long way to go.

Which got me to thinking (tangentially) about another real challenge that comes with learning guitar in this, the new golden age of guitar or modern guitar renaissance in which we are living. Too. Many. Distractions. The flip side of having so much information available all the time, and so many people and voices competing for our attention, is that its very easy to get derailed and unfocused and lose the most precious thing which is the time to practice and improve the actual guitar playing.

Last edited by Guest 61722; 04-10-2023 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:06 AM
Guest 61722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
15 years ago I bought a Telecaster and a tube amp, thinking I would basicaly play the way I had learned to play classical and steel-string acoustic guitar with my fingernails.

Several months, a couple different guitars, lots of tube rolling and mods to the amp, a new pair of pickups for the Tele and a few pedals later...

I sold the whole mess off cheaply just to get rid. Turns out you can't just dig into a set of 9-gauge electric guitar strings with your fingernails, playing through a loud as heck little tube amp and a really twangy Nocaster bridge pickup and get it to sound like music. At all. Who knew?

Fast forward to January 2022. I came back to electric guitar with much more realistic expectations, a few years experience with a flatpick and I'm happy as can be making music on a Telecaster (same model as you tried) and a stereo pair of Katanas with a whole chain of pedals.

The key for me is, I started over from scratch with electric guitar and didn't try to bring ANY techniques or preconceptions over from acoustic guitar other than the basics of where to put my fingers to play the notes. And I'm pursuing music that sounds like what's in my head rather than trying to sound like Neil Young or Roy Buchanan or Merle Haggard or whoever. It's working wonderfully.

Like everything in life, it comes down to expectations versus preparation versus timing. When it's the right time, good things come easy. When it's not, they don't come at all.
Thank you for sharing your experience, Brent. Good to hear I wasn't the first to have that lightbulb go off over my head. I think your approach to electric is spot on. I realized right away that is exactly what I would have to do, too, meaning start over from scratch. I feel like I'm only just getting started with acoustic!

I'm at an age where I don't have as much time ahead of me as I have behind me, so I have to consider how I'm going to spend it. Plus, I'm not independently wealthy, so there's the $$$ to consider, too. If I would have to spend $3K for a nice electric set up, and there's also a D-28 hanging around w/in reach, I know where I'm putting my money. It's no competition.

Live and learn! I'm so grateful to everyone who shared their knowledge and experience here, and also I love reading about all the electric guitar stuff, too. You are right about timing, too. Stuff only happens when the time is right.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Janine;

Sounds as though you've reached some sort of "detente", regarding your electric guitar quest... I know that, for me, acoustic guitar has always just felt like "home", and a lot of that has to be due to my starting on an acoustic. Truth is, I play acoustic guitar 95% of the time, even though I have a wonderful electric guitar and a cherry old Fender tube amp... I actually get feelings of guilt that I don't play that old Gibson electric, nearly as much as I could!

Certainly, the two are very different critters. One big thing, for me, is that when I play acoustic guitar, I'm likely to sing and play a song I really love... and when I pick up the electric guitar, I tend to noodle and "make sounds" more often.

Lately, I've been forcing myself to actually PLAY AND SING an entire song when I'm playing my electric guitar. That actually helps a lot, in a whole bunch of different areas of playing.

It is much harder to get a "full", complete type of sound when playing electric guitar alone... I know if I were playing in more of a band setting, I'd tend towards the electric much more frequently... but, solo guitar and voice? Much more of a "real", finished sound, like I could record it and play it for anyone and know that it's all right there.

It's good that you recognize your allegiance and preference for the acoustic guitar... never say never, though; each of the 5 electric guitars I have owned in my life were priced FAR below what they could have been, so who knows? You may have some very nice electric guitar fall into your lap at some point! That would take the $$$$ issue off the table partially, at least. A dear friend of mine recently had a 1958 Gibson ES-225 given to him, outright, by an older gentleman for whom he had done good work... it's probably worth upwards of $8k...

Keep enjoying your guitar journey, keep checking out different guitars and brands and having fun with it all... try not to get trapped by the "it's far easier to spend time talking about it than actually doing it" modality...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars