The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

I had a Blue Plus cedar/mahogany OM. It was a beautiful guitar and very well made for the price point. It sounded great fingerpicked, but I did not think it handled strumming and flatpicking quite as well as the FS5 I bought around the same time, so I kept the latter as I play with a flatpick at least as often as fingers. They were different top woods though, so not really an even comparison (FS5 is spruce/mahogany). I really liked the gloss coating on the cedar top of the Blue Plus model, seemed to protect the wood a bit better.

The Blue Plus sounded fine strummed, just wasn't its strong point as compared to fingerpicked and compared against the other guitar. The attack transient was a bit slower on the Furch which made a difference to me when strumming. Insert disclaimer here that this is all subjective and simply my opinion based on individual needs/playing style.

Last edited by Rosette; 09-16-2021 at 05:23 PM. Reason: extra info added
Old 09-17-2021, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex&r View Post
Hi toosharp, I have a cedar-topped OM (yellow series) and it's great for strumming. I rarely use a plectrum but can bang it pretty hard and loud with my fingers and it handles it no problem.
I suspect there's not a lot of difference other than cosmetic between the yellow and blue, indeed I would ve gone for a blue had I not lucked out with a nearly new yellow for only a few (cough) quid more.
I love it, it's easily the best sounding and easiest to play instrument I've owned and it inspires me to improve every day.
Hi Alex&r,

Many thanks for posting, this is really helpful information.

Those Yellow Series cedar tops look & sound gorgeous so no doubt you really lucked out and got a major bargain, especially as they’re pretty much twice the price of the Blue series now in the UK!

As well as the great sound, everyone says Furch have great playability which is a major selling point for me too as I haven’t played in a few years and never really felt like my previous guitar was the best when it came to set up
& playability…can’t wait to get my hands on a Furch and I’ll be sure to post a NGD thread when the day finally arrives (hopefully within the next two months)
Old 09-17-2021, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosette View Post
I had a Blue Plus cedar/mahogany OM. It was a beautiful guitar and very well made for the price point. It sounded great fingerpicked, but I did not think it handled strumming and flatpicking quite as well as the FS5 I bought around the same time, so I kept the latter as I play with a flatpick at least as often as fingers. They were different top woods though, so not really an even comparison (FS5 is spruce/mahogany). I really liked the gloss coating on the cedar top of the Blue Plus model, seemed to protect the wood a bit better.

The Blue Plus sounded fine strummed, just wasn't its strong point as compared to fingerpicked and compared against the other guitar. The attack transient was a bit slower on the Furch which made a difference to me when strumming. Insert disclaimer here that this is all subjective and simply my opinion based on individual needs/playing style.
Hi Rosette,

Many thanks for posting, this is hugely helpful information for me & greatly appreciated as you have owned the exact model I’d like to go with.

Ideally I’d like to get away from strumming and more into fingerstyle (ability permitting) but for sure there’ll also be some strumming & flatpicking involved in my playing too. Obviously, I wouldn’t expect this type of playing to be a cedar-topped guitar’s strong point, but it’s good to know that it handled it well enough. The videos I’ve seen bear what you are saying out too, providing the strumming isn’t overly aggressive it seems to handle it fine.

I could opt for a Grand Auditorium shape to get more of an all-rounder for all types of playing, but the OM seems to have a more focused tone, will be much more comfortable to play, and is my favourite body shape, and your experience (disclaimer duly noted) gives me more confidence that this is the one - always my first choice - I should go with.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosharp View Post
Hi Alex&r,

Many thanks for posting, this is really helpful information.

Those Yellow Series cedar tops look & sound gorgeous so no doubt you really lucked out and got a major bargain, especially as they’re pretty much twice the price of the Blue series now in the UK!

As well as the great sound, everyone says Furch have great playability which is a major selling point for me too as I haven’t played in a few years and never really felt like my previous guitar was the best when it came to set up
& playability…can’t wait to get my hands on a Furch and I’ll be sure to post a NGD thread when the day finally arrives (hopefully within the next two months)
I think you'll love it. The playability is amazing after fighting with other guitars over tne years
Old 09-18-2021, 03:35 AM

Toosharp,

Heartbreaker Guitars just posted a new video of a Furch Blue Plus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEqx9KaxeC4

Granted it’s a grand auditorium model, but I think it shows that a cedar top handles strumming just fine indeed.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Toosharp,

Heartbreaker Guitars just posted a new video of a Furch Blue Plus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEqx9KaxeC4

Granted it’s a grand auditorium model, but I think it shows that a cedar top handles strumming just fine indeed.

Many thanks for pointing me towards this video, Aimelie. Indeed, the GA sounds very nice strummed, expect the OM will too at that moderate level of attack.

Can’t wait to get my hands on one!
Old 09-18-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toosharp View Post
Many thanks for pointing me towards this video, Aimelie. Indeed, the GA sounds very nice strummed, expect the OM will too at that moderate level of attack.

Can’t wait to get my hands on one!
I can’t get over how beautiful that Blue Plus is — simply elegant and refined without being too austere.

Out of curiosity, are you going for a cutaway on your OM?

Old 09-18-2021, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I can’t get over how beautiful that Blue Plus is — simply elegant and refined without being too austere.

Out of curiosity, are you going for a cutaway on your OM?
It is a really nice looking guitar, I agree; understated & classy.

I prefer non-cutaway tbh, so don’t see the point of paying extra for that feature. However, the Master’s Choice model having a cutaway does make me wonder if I’m missing something by not opting for it.

I see that your Yellow CR is a Grand Auditorium with cutaway? Do you feel that the cutaway is beneficial for anything other than the obvious (easier access to the higher frets)?

I’m definitely leaning towards the Blue Plus now though and feel that is worth paying the premium for.
Old 09-18-2021, 11:23 AM

I do have a cutaway on my Grand Auditorium. I decided to go with that since it was part of the Master’s Choice already and what I really wanted was a grand auditorium with an LR Baggs Anthem pickup already installed (since I knew it would be one way—even if not the best—to record with).

My other idea is that my Yellow is my Swiss Army knife guitar—able to do it all sort of thing. I do play higher up the fretboard but not so high that a cutaway is absolutely necessary (which is why if I ever buy an OM, it will be without a cutaway—while a point of contention, apparently, I think I’d rather have a full OM body for maximum sound).

If you like, here are some photos of my Furch:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610996

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...83#post6811683

ETA: I forgot to mention that the cutaway, while the guitar is cased, is an ideal spot for a silica dessicant gel pack.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I do have a cutaway on my Grand Auditorium. I decided to go with that since it was part of the Master’s Choice already and what I really wanted was a grand auditorium with an LR Baggs Anthem pickup already installed (since I knew it would be one way—even if not the best—to record with).

My other idea is that my Yellow is my Swiss Army knife guitar—able to do it all sort of thing. I do play higher up the fretboard but not so high that a cutaway is absolutely necessary (which is why if I ever buy an OM, it will be without a cutaway—while a point of contention, apparently, I think I’d rather have a full OM body for maximum sound).

If you like, here are some photos of my Furch:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=610996

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...83#post6811683

ETA: I forgot to mention that the cutaway, while the guitar is cased, is an ideal spot for a silica dessicant gel pack.

Funnily enough, I’d just seen your photos in the Cedar Chest thread; she really is a beauty, Aimelie. I think that would be my perfect guitar but sadly my budget just won’t stretch that far rn…maybe next time?

P.S. What a gem your husband is too!
Old 09-18-2021, 12:35 PM

Don’t worry—you’ve got your priorities straight. Spouse, house, guitar — and in that order. All the rest will follow.

I would have been over the moon with a Blue Plus. Honestly.

Old 09-18-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Don’t worry—you’ve got your priorities straight. Spouse, house, guitar — and in that order. All the rest will follow.

I would have been over the moon with a Blue Plus. Honestly.
Haha yeah, you’re right.

I’m sure that the Blue Plus is going to make me really happy, it’s just the wait that is killing me now…but then you went through that too (for different reasons) and I also know that it’s going to be worth the wait!
Old 11-28-2021, 12:35 PM

I thought I’d stop by for a minor thread resurrection and ask how goes your Furch search?

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to try the Furch Blue OM’s I’d mentioned up thread — even more unfortunate, I’ve just learned the Blue Plus model has been discontinued.

OTH, I see Richards now has the Blue Deluxe (with arm bevel) in stock and the appearance has really grown on me.

Old 05-14-2024, 07:51 PM

Default furch Blue GC CM

does Furch still make the blue GC CM sunburst. I bought one, it said sold out and I haven't seen another( sunburst).
I see lots of blue auditorium (GC) but no sun burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
furch blue series cm