The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chavez View Post
Please for the love of god check out the yamaha LL16 or the seagulls made from all solid woods. Personally I think the epiphone masterbuilt it the best out of your list. But you really have to play them all and pray they dont have dead strings that suck the life out of the guitars.
I think I tried a Seagull in GC, as well. The salesman was pushing the "Big Four," however.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
I find the response from the Martin HPL Martin a bit odd. If you really want durability, you could go with all HPL (including the top). I like Epiphone, but I would probably lean towards something with laminate B/S like a Sigma standard series (which is a Martin style guitar) or a Taylor 100 series. I would be a bit nervous about an all solid wood epi in the desert.
I think the black DCPA5s even have laminate tops, but I think that's going too far.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus Mortem View Post
The current Epiphones have about as much in common as the ones the Beatles played as a Tesla has in common with a AMC Gremlin. The modern Epiphone is the Gremlin in this analogy. One of my offspring was looking for a guitar today and we played some Epiphones, and they were new, nicely taken care of examples too and they really couldn't compare to the Seagulls and the Yamahas. he bought a Yammy F730S. My main observation was lack of tonal character and subdued bass response.

So, get the Martin.
Were the Epiphones you tried Masterbilts? I rented the FG730S from GC while I was in the USA; my nephew and I both enjoyed playing it.

Last edited by Brian N; 05-29-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:46 AM

If it's a Beatles vibe you're looking for then the Epiphone 'Inspired by 64' Texan is well worth a look. I bought one unseen, unplayed and with a little setup work it plays and sounds nice. I bought it primarily for its electro capability but with its solid top and back it's not a bad acoustic performer, if a little lacking in the bass. Overall the tone balance is pretty good and it's inexpensive; the only mild gripe I have is that the toner they used for the top is a bit too orange-like the Martin OOO-28EC.

The electro bits are very discreet with the controls for the pre-amp invisibly tucked away inside the soundhole-no ugly barn door. Couple of nice, subtle touches; the replicated blue soundhole label and the gently scalloped headstock sides could have been left out but are satisfyingly taken from the original Texan-and the tuners are very positive Wilkinson Deluxe, Kluson, copies and probably better quality than the originals. Strap button comes as standard.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 AM

Dawsons put up a new YouTube review of the MB AJ-45.

https://youtu.be/vxOOApjgFbY
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
If it's a Beatles vibe you're looking for then the Epiphone 'Inspired by 64' Texan is well worth a look. I bought one unseen, unplayed and with a little setup work it plays and sounds nice. I bought it primarily for its electro capability but with its solid top and back it's not a bad acoustic performer, if a little lacking in the bass. Overall the tone balance is pretty good and it's inexpensive; the only mild gripe I have is that the toner they used for the top is a bit too orange-like the Martin OOO-28EC.

The electro bits are very discreet with the controls for the pre-amp invisibly tucked away inside the soundhole-no ugly barn door. Couple of nice, subtle touches; the replicated blue soundhole label and the gently scalloped headstock sides could have been left out but are satisfyingly taken from the original Texan-and the tuners are very positive Wilkinson Deluxe, Kluson, copies and probably better quality than the originals. Strap button comes as standard.
How does it compare to the Masterbilt series guitars?
Old 05-29-2015, 09:07 AM

You would do well to explore the Breedlove Options; especially if you are willing to buy used. You can get a whole lot-o-Breedlove for $800 used.

Of course, any all wood guitar in the desert will require proper maintenance, but it sounds to me as if you've got that well in hand.

http://www.reverbnation.com/museric?...eader_icon_nav

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt...-_xka6GsUr9v4Q

https://soundcloud.com/museric-1

Breedlove American C25/SSe
Delgado Candelas Jumbo
Eastman AC420
Eastman E10D
Eastman E10SS
Fender (MIM) Stratocaster
Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian N View Post
How does it compare to the Masterbilt series guitars?
I can't tell you as I never played a Masterbilt model.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earri View Post
You would do well to explore the Breedlove Options; especially if you are willing to buy used. You can get a whole lot-o-Breedlove for $800 used.

Of course, any all wood guitar in the desert will require proper maintenance, but it sounds to me as if you've got that well in hand.
I bought my old Epiphone used and have heard used Breedloves are a bargain, but it would be tricky buying used from here. New is hard enough, but we have access to the USPS here, which helps a lot.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
How much difference does the neck width make? I've been playing a Yamaha FS720S lately for reference, which seems pretty easy to play.
I am not speaking to width, but to neck profile (front to back). Some peoples hands do not do well with thin profile necks- I am one of them. Caused cramping for me. Most MB's have the same nut width as the Yamaha, but are thinner front to back (except for the thicker EF500rcce).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM

I just bought a Martin GPCPA5K and love it, play it every day. That long part number stands for "Grand Performance Cutaway Performing Arts" series guitar.

Never looked at Ephiphone, my top 3 included Breedlove, Taylor and Martin. Just went with the one that sounded best to me (all the same price, $699). I live in South Florida, always hot, always high humidity.

I can say in my price range all 3 sounded very similar so I don't think you can't go wrong even if you won't hear it until it arrives.

Good luck!

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I am not speaking to width, but to neck profile (front to back). Some peoples hands do not do well with thin profile necks- I am one of them. Caused cramping for me. Most MB's have the same nut width as the Yamaha, but are thinner front to back (except for the thicker EF500rcce).
I guess this would affect bar chords, etc. more, where you need to put pressure on the neck? I think they seem easier to play on the Yamaha than they were on my old Epiphone, but I don't have the old guitar anymore and can't compare them side to side.

One thing I should perhaps mention is that my hands are apparently not large for a guitar player's based on the poll here, just around 8" pinky to thumb tips fully extended, which apparently makes some complicated chords harder to form. I'm not sure which of my preferred guitars would fit my hands better....

Last edited by Brian N; 05-29-2015 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
I just bought a Martin GPCPA5K and love it, play it every day. That long part number stands for "Grand Performance Cutaway Performing Arts" series guitar.

Never looked at Ephiphone, my top 3 included Breedlove, Taylor and Martin. Just went with the one that sounded best to me (all the same price, $699). I live in South Florida, always hot, always high humidity.

I can say in my price range all 3 sounded very similar so I don't think you can't go wrong even if you won't hear it until it arrives.

Good luck!
I also lived in Florida for years and never had any humidity issues there, but my guitar then was an electric anyhow. I was back for my high school reunion in April and visited the GC in Tampa.

Why did you choose the GC version of the Martin over the DC or the OMC? As for the other makes, I don't know much about the Breedloves other than that they supposedly depreciate a lot and I prefer the darker sound of the Martins over the Taylors.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:49 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Were the Epiphones you tried Masterbilts? I rented the FG730S from GC while I was in the USA; my nephew and I both enjoyed playing it.
One was a Masterbuilt, the other a Texan and the third was an Epi Hummingibird. The Hummingbird Epi was by far the worst: the sound it produced was like yarn strung over a piece of plywood. Quiet, no character, dull. The Texan wasn't horrible but it wasn't inspiring either. The FG730S had mojo in the sound, was easy to play and the neck was nice. We got it home, put in a bone saddle, adjusted the trussrod, put on some Elixir strings (his choice, not mine) and it sounds even better. It was dirt cheap and sounded like a much more expensive guitar. I was, and still am impressed by it. My kid loves it, he sleeps with it on a stand just inches away from his head.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:01 AM

Epiphone or Martin?

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion