The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM

Milk Carton Kids

Guitar on the right looks like a Martin mahogany, a 15 series OM perhaps? (Aside, how many of you out there wrap a cloth on strings above the capo?)

Guitar on the left -- a vintage J45?

A better look at the Gibson.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:56 AM

Beck

Old 08-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Shovels and Rope

Duct Tape? Wide Electrical Tape?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:08 PM

reilly is playing a banner j45. close to the holy grail of Gibson guitars for the not rich but well funded. that is they are around 10k plus depending. the tall milk cartoon dude is playing a 50's j45. if you subscribed to acoustic guitar mag (nfi) you would know all this.

Last edited by oaitway; 08-06-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaitway View Post
reilly is playing a banner j45. close to the holy grail of Gibson guitars for the not rich but well funded. that is they are around 10k plus depending. the tall milk cartoon dude is playing a 50's j45. if you subscribed to acoustic guitar mag (nfi) you would know all this.
Hmmm...so I guessed right on the Milk Carton kid's axe!

But then again, I know so much less than you..or acoustic guitar magazine.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM

RE: Milk Carton Kids.... He wraps the cloth around the neck ahead of the capo to prevent back buzz. Personally, I just use a second capo when necessary but don't have that many issues with back buzz on my guitars.

BTW, the J-45 was a gift from a fan. Nice gift. Check out this video where they discuss their guitars:
http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...their-guitars/

DC
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 PM

Not to throw cold water on the party, but just how many actual “folk" acts performed? Most of those photos are of indie rockers or “Americana” artists (country/rock/folk hybrids) who played acoustic instruments (or solo vintage electrics). Not saying these artists shouldn’t be booked there, but it’s not really a “folk festival” any more. They should call it the Newport Americana Festival, Newport Acoustic Festival or just the Newport Music Festival. Philadelphia, Winnipeg, Falcon Ridge, Mariposa, Owen Sound, Kerrville, Fox Valley, South Florida--those are what I think of when I hear “folk festival.”

Yeah, I know what Big Bill Broonzy said about never having heard a horse make music, but still.....
At least it’s not Lollapalooza, Bonaroo or Coachella.....yet.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Not to throw cold water on the party, but just how many actual “folk" acts performed? Most of those photos are of indie rockers or “Americana” artists (country/rock/folk hybrids) who played acoustic instruments (or solo vintage electrics). Not saying these artists shouldn’t be booked there, but it’s not really a “folk festival” any more. They should call it the Newport Americana Festival, Newport Acoustic Festival or just the Newport Music Festival. Philadelphia, Winnipeg, Falcon Ridge, Mariposa, Owen Sound, Kerrville, Fox Valley, South Florida--those are what I think of when I hear “folk festival.”

Yeah, I know what Big Bill Broonzy said about never having heard a horse make music, but still.....
That's just what's going on today, genres are being redefined greatly. Beyonce in the rock and roll hall of fame and country music is a mix of rap and rock
Old 08-06-2014, 06:43 AM

great to see the young acts. I think they are "folk". fantastic pics. Thanks for putting them up.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting Karl. cool stuff.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post

Whatever you do, don't come to the Lowell (Massachusetts) Folk Festival! It's a free 3 day outdoors fest with multiple stages around the city. No folk music to speak of. Don't know why they haven't renamed it "Lowell International Music Festival".

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song"
-Louis Armstrong
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM

"The only difference between folk music and pop(ular) music, is folk music isn't popular." - Heard at Falcon Ridge Folk Fest, possibly from Vance Gilbert, but it was 15 years ago..

Thanks for posting the photos. I've been really enjoying this thread.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlK View Post

Devil Makes Three playing a couple of what look like vintage archtop Gibsons
Yeah, but which models are they? Sigh, another formerly very accessible Gibson that's now popular.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM

Default Reilly's Guitar

Reilly is definitely playing a banner LG-2. I think that makes it an early to mid 40s, but don't quote me on that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion