The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBoogie View Post
All of the above indeed! LOL

I finally placed my order.

I got the 914ce Vintage Sunburst with a Florentine cutaway.

It's gonna take about 6 weeks to get.

If I would have gone with the natural finish and venetian cutaway they could have shipped to me this week. LOL

Was SO TOUGH not to compromise but I remained strong and decided to get what I really wanted look wise as well.
That's great! Good for you.

I'll mark my calendar to check back for pics in six weeks!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Goodall View Post
Firstly, there will be no difference in the neck. Zero. The difference is in the Rosewood back and sides being different grades of Rosewood (different grades on a visual level). There is no difference in the Mahogany used in the neck. So if you're 'feeling' something different, it's the placebo effect.

Secondly, changing the nut and saddle won't change the feel of the neck. It just won't.

Thirdly, if you believe the 900 series somehow impacts on the feel of the neck, may I recommend a Presentation Series Taylor. They are the next step up (or should I say neck step up) from a 900 series and for only several thousand dollars more and you can get an even better feeling neck, if you truly believe that the feel of the neck changes the higher up in Taylors you go, that is.

Actually the differences weren't subtle my friend. They were drastic. No placebo effect here.

Besides I later felt some other Taylors that were three times as cheap as the 900 series that had similar necks so I don't know what is going on. I don't know how they decide.

Some necks feel light and open and others more dense and solid.

I like the dense feeling necks personally. That's what both 914's felt like. Let's hope the one I ordered does too. :-)
Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM

It is possible that it had a slim carve neck. The neck on my 914c and all Taylor's prior to the NT neck had a slimmer carve. It's an option when order a guitar and I think adds about $150 to the price (don't quote me). Otherwise it could just be the wood. Taylor mills their necks on CNC but wood is wood and no two pieces are identical.

Go SPURS Go
Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Goodall View Post
Firstly, there will be no difference in the neck. Zero. The difference is in the Rosewood back and sides being different grades of Rosewood (different grades on a visual level). There is no difference in the Mahogany used in the neck. So if you're 'feeling' something different, it's the placebo effect.
I would have thought Taylor has some mahogany neck blanks that are higher quality as in denser straighter grain, even coloring etc. and these might find their way on the higher end guitars as opposed to being randomly chosen for any Taylor series. I suppose an employee would know for sure.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
That's great! Good for you.

I'll mark my calendar to check back for pics in six weeks!

Yes! Please remind me! LOL
Old 01-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
All of the above indeed! LOL

I finally placed my order.

I got the 914ce Vintage Sunburst with a Florentine cutaway.

It's gonna take about 6 weeks to get.

If I would have gone with the natural finish and venetian cutaway they could have shipped to me this week. LOL

Was SO TOUGH not to compromise but I remained strong and decided to get what I really wanted look wise as well.
Fantastic!!! It's going to be a tough 6 weeks of waiting. You're going to love it.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

Let the torture begin! LOL.

Go SPURS Go
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic!!! It's going to be a tough 6 weeks of waiting. You're going to love it.

Yeah and to top it off I will be out on tour for a month the very week my guitar arrives. Go figure.

My wife who is a singer songwriter will be enjoying my axe before I will. Figures!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah and to top it off I will be out on tour for a month the very week my guitar arrives. Go figure.

My wife who is a singer songwriter will be enjoying my axe before I will. Figures!
You've chosen an excellent guitar, one I'm trying hard to resist (see my signature?). Survive the wait and enjoy the guitar!

Martin 000-28EC (1996?)
Seagull Natural Elements (2012)
Taylor 814ce (2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy44 View Post
You've chosen an excellent guitar, one I'm trying hard to resist (see my signature?). Survive the wait and enjoy the guitar!
Ha! Thank you man! Now go get yourself one too!
Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 PM

Congrats JJBoogie on the purchase of your new 914ce!

I am sure that you will love it.

Just for the record, I sold my excellent 2010 814ce after purchasing my 2012 914ce because the 914ce sounded better acoustically to me.
My 914 was clearer and more focused sounding to me and other experienced guitar player buddies that A/B'ed them while I listened.

Of course, the 914 was a lot more expensive too....and it isn't as if my 814 was bad! The purchaser of my 2010 814ce is very delighted with the guitar!

I am also the proud new owner of a 2014 816ce and absolutely love it!
I do feel that Taylor did make some significant changes to the 800 series in 2014 that I truly love! Yes, I am a big fan of their new ES2 system!!

That said, my 2012 914ce is not going anywhere! It is fantastic too!

Best of luck and enjoy your new guitar!
Old 01-31-2014, 07:17 PM

Btw....

Just to clarify a bit. The "feel of the neck" between my 2010 814ce and my 2012 914ce was identical to me. The playability of both were also exceptional. The big difference to me was the sound, and to me it was very noticeable!

That's all folks....
Old 01-31-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:

What happens if your wife really takes a liking to it? Where about are you touring? Sounds exciting.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
Congrats JJBoogie on the purchase of your new 914ce!

I am sure that you will love it.

Just for the record, I sold my excellent 2010 814ce after purchasing my 2012 914ce because the 914ce sounded better acoustically to me.
My 914 was clearer and more focused sounding to me and other experienced guitar player buddies that A/B'ed them while I listened.

Of course, the 914 was a lot more expensive too....and it isn't as if my 814 was bad! The purchaser of my 2010 814ce is very delighted with the guitar!

I am also the proud new owner of a 2014 816ce and absolutely love it!
I do feel that Taylor did make some significant changes to the 800 series in 2014 that I truly love! Yes, I am a big fan of their new ES2 system!!

That said, my 2012 914ce is not going anywhere! It is fantastic too!

Best of luck and enjoy your new guitar!

Right on!!! Cool story! I actually went to GC today to play the 914 for a while just because I miss it and can't wait for mine to arrive! LOL

Yeah I really liked the new 816 A LOT as well.

What finish is yours?
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
Btw....

Just to clarify a bit. The "feel of the neck" between my 2010 814ce and my 2012 914ce was identical to me. The playability of both were also exceptional. The big difference to me was the sound, and to me it was very noticeable!

That's all folks....

Right on! :-)

It's weird because I did feel some other models that had a similar feel of the neck as the 914 but it wasn't an 800 series. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was one of the more inexpensive ones. That being said it didn't sound the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion