The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Martin= RING!
Gibson = THUD!
Drum roll...please
Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
I have to disagree. Not a comment on the playing in any sense, but the recording quality is terrible in that video, tinny and metallic, it does not do the guitar justice.
I have to admit thats not the best recording Mike Beck I've heard...I just listened again and it is tinny and metallic...some of his other videos sound better.

Sorry for the misdirection...
Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
best thing is for you to play gibsons, taylors and martins. there is so much variety within each manufacturers lineup that you have to make your own decision as to whether there is a separate sound.

play music!
I'd have to agree with this. There are so many variables in terms of body shapes, sizes, choice of tonewoods, etc. that sweeping generalizations like a "characteristic sound" are really subjective and inaccurate. Play a lot of different guitars and buy one you like.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 PM

To the OP: I would never, ever, ever buy a Gibson without playing it first. I know in previous threads you've mentioned you don't have much of an option when trying out guitars, but I must advise not to buy a Gibson without playing it first.

They're too inconsistent the times I've had the chance to go through a line of them at local stores. There are nice and great ones out there, but for every good one I've played there were three duds. You could definitely hear and feel the difference in quality between the good and not-so-good ones.

Gibsons can be fantastic guitars, but there's a hunt involved in order to find those.

To me, if one wants the signature Gibby tone, you gotta start with the J-45 and J-200.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
Is for you to not trust us but trust your own ears, we all hear what we want to hear and disregard the rest.
That is about as close to what a Gibsoin sounds like that I can use words that will explain it and I never use a musician to try to explain it because no matter what guitar you use most often it will sound almost the same way almost all of the time.ship
Unfortunately where I live there are no Gibsons for sale, only Taylors and Martins. However, I've always wondered about the sound. These replies are very helpful. I agree completely that I shouldn't buy one without listening to it. But it doesn't hurt to get some ideas while I'm waiting to do that!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM

I'll be honest...if blindfolded I could not identify a guitar brand by it's sound. I guess, I have a lot to learn from people who can.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=J3B0CSXaXjw

Here's the J-45/J-50 sound. Great strummers. You can hear the thump there and it's all positive to my ears.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Off hand I'd say the "Gibson Sound" comes from a Gibson guitar. I'm pretty sure the Taylor sound comes from a Taylor guitar and the Martin sound comes from a Martin guitar.

I used to love the Gibson sound when I was younger. Now, not so much...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby b View Post
Whole lotta Martin snobbery here i see....
Not snobbery, just preference for GREAT TONE!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM

How about this:

Martin - BMW Twin

Taylor - Kawasaki

Gibson - Ducati, of course.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMC Bob View Post
When I think of the "Gibson sound" I think of the early records James Taylor recorded with his J-50. Think of the original studio versions of "Country Road", "Sweet Baby James", "Fire and Rain", "You've Got a Friend", "Riding on a Railroad"...etc. Dry, punchy, mid-range focused. No low-end thunder or high-end sizzle but lots of character. Far different than the crisp and clear sound he uses now with his Olsons.

One player's "thunk" is another one's "punch"!

I agree 100% on that, especially the character. JT's early J-50 sound is the reason I chose the Gibson J-45... and don't forget the great sound Donovan got out of his cherry burst J-45 with La Bella silk and steel strings.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Martin= RING!
Gibson = THUD!
Listen closer.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:59 PM

I think of the tone from my Gibson as being very velvety. It's smooth as can be and very harmonic (probably due to the rosewood back). The bass is percussive and thuddy sounding rather than the kind of thonk sound I hear from Martin bass. The treble is very rounded and not harsh.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 PM

Ahhh the classic Gibson bashing continues....

So you have to take SOME of these replies with a grain of salt (open minds = open ears).

Sonically....

For your classic Martin tone, look no further than some old Neil recordings (self-titled, Harvest, etc.) They do tend to sound fairly clean, heavier on the low end. They are what I think of when someone says "traditional." My Larrivee is very similar.

Taylors... very consistent due to the fact that they are built mostly by robots. Depends on the woods involved but you're usually looking at a fairly bright axe. A bit sterile to my ears but some seem to like it (mostly in the pop/rock realm).

Gibsons - I for one do not understand why folks love to rag on them. I've encountered as many "dogs" among the Martins, Guilds, Taylors, etc. out there as I have among the Gibsons. They all seem to have that classic "growl." Most of them are heavier on the midrange, but it depends on where you look. Some of the rosewood models have the low-end power to keep up with any Martin I've laid my hands on (and yes I HAVE played quite a few very nice HD-28's). My 45 is one of the liveliest guitars I've ever played, and it accompanies my voice like no other.

Just get out there and play as many guitars as you can. I've owned a few guitars from all of the manufacturers that you mentioned - some stayed, some went. Trust your hands, and most of all, your ears.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:08 AM

Another way of looking at it is a description that was posted some time ago, which actually has a lot of merit.

Taylor - worship tone

Martin - ol' boys tone

Gibson - bad boys tone
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion