The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrinsdad View Post
funny......
she asks me to play for her all the time.........
BAM!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Skalpton -

Either play or don't. Don't sweat it if she doesn't hang all over you begging you to play. That tends to be rare behavior, even among females who like their boyfriends' music. You're supposed to KNOW that she likes it. (It's that whole female "You're supposed to be psychic and KNOW what I'm thinking!" thing.)

And if she genuinely doesn't care, or genuinely dislikes your guitarplaying, it's time to find another girlfriend.

Which CAN be fun!

Now, granted, I've never been what could be categorized as a mopey guy, all struck with self-doubt and all that. But I went through a succession of girlfriends in my early twenties, and got so I recognized when it was time to be moseyin' on...

But assuming that you and this young lady are a good match, I think you need to take a step back and ask yourself:

"Am I being a narcissistic, self-involved little twit here?"

Because that's easy to slip into when you're unsure of yourself, and think that just the sheer act of playing a few tunes on guitar is worthy of everyone's undivided attention.

Because it's NOT.....lots of boring people play guitar, and their music is usually as boring as they are.

It has to have something about it to snag other people's attention, even those we care about and who presumably care about us.

If you're not yet at the level where you can command an audience, work privately for a while, even around your sweetie. Wait until you've got some command of the instrument.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton
I think Wade has essentially CLOSED this thread.............

Bottom line..........If guitar playing is important...............DO it with or without the SO...............
Old 12-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Oh lord, give me strength.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalpton View Post
but i noticed that she never really asks me to play.
Perhaps she's heard your playing before.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 12-18-2008, 05:14 AM

I had a customer once who had the same complaint. He had only been playing a couple of years and knew very little on his guitar so after he played his few songs and repeatedly strummed the four chords that he knew, his wife was understandably bored.....having heard it all more times than she cared to.

He was selling all of the fine guitars that he'd accumulated over the few years that he'd played and told me that he was going to begin collecting fine modern and vintage time pieces. He had Ryans, Olsons, a Traugott, two guitars from me and a few other builders since he had a huge expendable income for them so his collection was quite a find for the lucky players who bought up the pieces of it.

When I asked him why he made the decision to stop playing and switched to collecting fine watches, he comically replied, "I'll never be a world class guitarist, but I can tell time with the best in the world." and "Nobody asks me to play guitar for them, but people are always asking what time it is."

Work on your playing and move beyond the point where you said you were in recent posts...a beginning player with a few chords on your palette. If your girlfriend is your target audience, focus on learning some songs that she wants to hear.....and she'll ask you to play them. If the crowd you're playing for is a rock crowd, it never works to pull our your country and western set list to entertain them.

Pull that cowboy hat tight down around your head, brush out that long hair to really dial in your best guitarist look and then play things she wants to hear. Remember always that an audience only listens when things they like are being played.

Also, if she asked you to play once 2 years ago, that would mean you'd only been playing about 6 months and at your current rate of learning, you probably only knew a single chord....or two at best. With that limited selection of voicings you were really limited in the song selection that you could have made to entertain and impress you. You're pretty much stuck with some Nirvana tunes and little else....not the most attractive repertoire for an intimate time on the couch with the one you love. Playing for someone once and then never being asked to play again is a pretty self explanatory thing. Don;t feel bad, just work hard to grow as a player.

You're a funny guy, nonetheless, and your posts always catch my eye as the ensuing threads usually give me a chuckle. This one started my day off with a few very good laughs. It's all offered in good fun and with no harm intended, though.

Regards,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars

Last edited by Kevin Gallagher; 12-18-2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:24 AM
ParaDoolingon Fan

That would be a bad sign. I used to play the guitar for my girlfriend all the time. She loved it. Then I broke up with her. so the story goes.

Are you a good singer? Most girls won't care to hear a guitar played unless you serenade them with a good song. What kind of music do you play?

Larrivee C-10 Koa Genie Wendy Inlay, 1992 Fender Stratocaster Deluxe, Custom Warmoth Stratocaster.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 AM

Scalpie,

You are a piece of work my friend...........

I would really like to hear you post some of your playing, it will either shut us up or prompt a lot of "that's what I figured" responses.

Inquiring minds want to know, man up, walk the walk, bake the cake, pick us a tune!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM

My wife always joins me...and then imediately turns on the TV! LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Maybe she simply perceives it as your time to be with yourself and doesn't want to intrude.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:36 AM

Write a song about her. You will have her undivided attention.

OR.....

decide who is the source of your self esteem. You or her.

OR....

get over yourself and spend time on practice instead of worrying about what your future ex-girl friend thinks. And if you think 'future ex-girl friend' is harsh consider this. How much time and effort did you put into selecting your guitar versus picking a girl friend?
OR....

stop looking to a guitar forum for advice on personal relationships

Pick from the menu or create a different choice.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:59 AM

1-800-dr Phil

Last edited by RonS; 12-18-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:37 AM

It's ALL about the music man. Don't worry about people asking you about your guitar, how long you've been playing your guitar, your girlfriend not asking you to play your guitar, and JUST PLAY THE FREAKIN THING! In the spirit of following forum rules to be nice Your posts seem to point to the fact that you're way more worried about your persona (EGO) than you are about your music.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM
Musical minimalist

My guitar never asks me to get a girlfriend

Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 AM

Maybe this is why....

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=117164

or....

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=129371

In some recent posts you said you had the flu and were not picking up the guitar and playing. Are you feeling better? Any feedback??
'08 Martin HD28
Old 12-18-2008, 10:21 AM

How old are you, Skalpton?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion