The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 09:36 AM

If you like the neck, which I and thousands do, it's a great guitar at a great price point. A comparable guitar from a small manufacturer like Collings or Santa Cruz would be much more. If you can't get your hands on one to try, order one from somewhere with a good return/trial period and see what YOU think. You won't find as good a guitar for less.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
If you’re looking at a 000-28 EC, consider an OM28V. Same body size but longer scale. I spent a lot of time with both and ended up with the OM28V.
Also, the string spacing is much wider on the OM-28V. 2 1/4 vs 2 5/16.
Steve
Old 05-17-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver
If you’re looking at a 000-28 EC, consider an OM28V. Same body size but longer scale. I spent a lot of time with both and ended up with the OM28V.
Also, the string spacing is much wider on the OM-28V. 2 1/4 vs 2 5/16.
Steve
You make that sound like it's a good thing. Longer scale, wider string spacing? Then it wouldn't be an EC. The shorter scale and thinner string spacing is a plus for me.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Haha, I totally get this. Never been a fan of the celebrity models, and I pretty much avoid playing them. I think it's because of the inherent marketing: "people will buy this just because we slapped EC's name on it...maybe they'll think it sounds better." My own personal issues, I know. And I guess all marketing is trickery to some degree.
And just as often it is because the builder can put out a limited edition with specs that differ from their regular run of guitars that was speced out by a particular player. I bought my EC because I really liked the specs and I liked the sound of the example that I had bought. At the time finding a 24.9" scale 000 with a 1 3/4" nut was not easy. Clapton's signature was irrelevant. (Although I like a lot of his music. Which does not make me a fanboy.)

Given that Martin are still making them neigh on 30 years later tends to make me think that I am not alone in that regard.

OMMV
Old 05-17-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
And just as often it is because the builder can put out a limited edition with specs that differ from their regular run of guitars that was speced out by a particular player. I bought my EC because I really liked the specs and I liked the sound of the example that I had bought. At the time finding a 24.9" scale 000 with a 1 3/4" nut was not easy. Clapton's signature was irrelevant. (Although I like a lot of his music. Which does not make me a fanboy.)

Given that Martin are still making them neigh on 30 years later tends to make me think that I am not alone in that regard.

OMMV
That's awesome, Mycroft. I should've added to my comment that if I came across a 000-28 EC that was magical (as a poster above wrote), I'd have no problem taking it home. A great guitar is a great guitar, signature or not. However, I do prefer mahogany b/s, so that's also makes it easy to skip over the 28s

When I was younger I would watch kids buy cheaper celebrity electrics thinking they would instantly be better players. And, of course, they didn't. The company only sold the guitar because of the name. That made me wary of the idea. But Martin is far, far from making cheap electrics! And I would expect the 000-28 EC model to be a fine guitar.

Last edited by BlueBowman; 05-17-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:00 PM

I don't mind signature models so long as the specs are what I'm looking for. Someone's name on the guitar is fine...can't get away from it as there's already the Martin name on the headstock anyways.

I suppose I wouldn't buy a Jimmy Fallon signature model Martin, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion