The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earwitness View Post
The technique where he pushes the guitar body down and the neck up to make a whammy bar effect, lowering the tone--is that a bad idea for an expensive guitar?
An expensive acoustic guitar should be able to handle this kind of neck deflection without damage. I once heard of someone doing this neck deflection move and breaking the neck off on an electric guitar, like a semi-hollow body, a Gibson ES335, I think. My ES335 has a pretty flexible neck compared to any of my acoustics, so I suppose it's possible.

My wife always reacts negatively when I am playing and then do one of those TE neck bends on an acoustic guitar to make that wammy bar effect. But when I do it, I am really not deflecting the neck very much. It really doesn't take much deflection to drop the pitch of the strings noticeably.

I once asked Tommy about this neck deflection move and he said that he and his brother started doing this as kids because their guitars didn't have wammy bars at the time. He said he'd never done any damage to his guitars with this technique. And TE is a pretty strong guy.

Just my 2 cents on this, anyway...

- Glenn
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Berger View Post
Hi Bill, 'some' of my faves are: "Those Who Wait", "Since We Met', "Stay Close To Me", "Halfway Home", "Ruby's Eyes", "Antonella's Birthday", "Lewis and Clark", "Angelina", "Countrywide" among many others. Enjoy!

Thank you Steve,
I'll be sure to check these out. I do remember Tommy playing "Lewis and Clark" and I really liked that tune.

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
Let me guess. In other words, he just doesn't write music that is your style? Remember, our musical tastes aren't the measure of one's abilities.
Jon,

Yes, I think this is well said. I was referring only to my taste.
After I mentioned his songwriting, I felt "whoa, who am I to judge that". So I foolishly commented on something I am mostly ignorant about.

I have to give Emmanuel an awful lot of credit, for someone like me who never cared at all for the jazz pieces, in one night he helped me gain appreciation for that style. That says a lot about his skill and his songwriting, I think.

Last edited by bbrown; 06-27-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:08 PM

When I saw Tommy E live, I was certain that he's one of the most talented guitarists ever....even if not every tune or composition was my cup of tea. But when viewing the many videos online of Tommy meeting and greeting fans, often jamming with them and giving encouragement, I was convinced that he's truly something special. He's an ace, but you don't get a hint of ego. Frankly, I don't understand why so many folks are so quick to bash such a kind and gifted player.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
We all have our own opinions and preferences. You have stated your opinion before in other TE threads -- that is, that you don't care for Tommy's songwriting. You certainly have a right to your own opinion. My opinion is the opposite, however. While I enjoy his covers, such as "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," I find that I like Tommy's songs even more. My wife has the same reaction. We are only two people, but it least I can conclude that your statement that TE is "a mediocre song writer" is not a universal truth, just your opinion.
I think some of his original stuff is very good but on the whole his covers are far better: Blue Moon, Old Fashioned Love Song, Guitar Boogie, Struttin', Over the Rainbow, Paper Moon, the Beatles stuff, etc.... Just my opinion/taste. I'd love to hear him play Avalon, All Of Me, After You've Gone, Beginning To See The Light; and I think he could make the best Ellington album anyone has in years.

He is on the whole the guitarist to whom I most like to listen.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFive View Post
When I saw Tommy E live, I was certain that he's one of the most talented guitarists ever....even if not every tune or composition was my cup of tea. But when viewing the many videos online of Tommy meeting and greeting fans, often jamming with them and giving encouragement, I was convinced that he's truly something special. He's an ace, but you don't get a hint of ego. Frankly, I don't understand why so many folks are so quick to bash such a kind and gifted player.

I'm not hearing anyone "bashing" Tommy Emmanuel here. Anything perceived as negative is mostly qualified by the respondent as just personal taste and opinion. That's what the give-and-take discussion on any forum should be.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY NY View Post
I think some of his original stuff is very good but on the whole his covers are far better: Blue Moon, Old Fashioned Love Song, Guitar Boogie, Struttin', Over the Rainbow, Paper Moon, the Beatles stuff, etc.... Just my opinion/taste. I'd love to hear him play Avalon, All Of Me, After You've Gone, Beginning To See The Light; and I think he could make the best Ellington album anyone has in years.

He is on the whole the guitarist to whom I most like to listen.
Hi NY NY,

Interesting comments... Tommy doing an Ellington album? Now that would be pretty cool. Or for that matter, Cole Porter, or so many other songwriters of that era.

I am sure my own preferences for TE's original songs is from sitting in front of him and hearing him tell the stories of how some of his songs came to be. I very likely cannot separate my preferences from my own history. I certainly have no problem appreciating TE's covers of classic American Songbook music.

Hopefully, he will keep on recording and performing and continue to have an enthusiastic audience.

- Glenn
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey View Post
This song reminds me of the melody from "Hey Tomorrow" by Jim Croce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McPCU9dFUI8
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM

I had only heard of Tommy back in 2009. I went to CAAS, really just to check it out. He was the last player for the Friday night show (which started at 6:00). I ALMOST LEFT as I was tired, before he came on. When he began playing, I quickly realized, my worldview, in terms of guitar, was taking a drastic turn.
It just depends on the person. Seeing Tommy lit a whole new fire of inspiration under me. I have since met him at backstage events, and yes, humble, warm, nice guy. For me, that is even more inspiration.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM

If you want to hear Tommy's more jazzy stuff, take a look at his album with Frank Vignola and the one he recently recorded with Martin Taylor.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 PM

I wish I could have an epiphany like Bill's with TE. I also agree with ecguitars comment and I would much rather listen to Bill's (bbrown) playing than TE's, check out his Youtube vids.
Of course I admire Tommy"s ability and musicianship, but there's plenty of great musicians out there that I can't really bear to listen to. Funnily my wife saw him play before I met her (20 years ago) and it had profoundly the opposite effect that it had on Bills wife.
If you read this Bill try checking out the Tony McManus "Mysterious Boundaries" clip on Youtube.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:13 PM

New Youtube upload from TE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UZpxPWaaA

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
New Youtube upload from TE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UZpxPWaaA
Hey thanks for this I had not seen this one. Drivetime is one of my all time favs. Both to listen to and play.
Oh and in my opinion, TE is so far ahead of everyone else when it comes to guitar perfection that no one else is even in his rearview mirror.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 PM

Tommy's songs are too sugary.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Tommy's songs are too sugary.
I wonder how you like your coffee.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion