The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Default How many of you have a guitar purchase you’re trying to talk yourself out of?

I’m currently resisting the pull of a Ryan guitar, and a Wingert guitar, both offered online at music stores. It’s their sheer beauty and elegance calling me.
It’s pure GAS lust,; I don’t need either! Trying to decide which one will go in the ‘1 in, 1 out’ regime I am necessarily under.
As Wade said in OP, I have guitars that are not getting played enough. Still, the siren song sings of sweet sounds to be strummed.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:35 PM

I am trying to resist buying a Collings Parlor with Madagascar rosewood back and sides.
Several guitars will have to find new homes before I buy one.
Barb
Old 08-07-2021, 04:30 PM

yes, the strategy that something would have to go before I purchase is also working for me. Adding to that is that it seems like so much work to sell a guitar, that I don't empty the shed, so to speak, so I don't really have more room right now. If I ever do sell some of what I own, the flood gate might open again, though.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:34 PM

How many of you have a guitar purchase you’re trying to talk yourself out of?

There is a rash presumption involved here. I don't have any guitars that I need to be talked out of.

Last two I bought were things that I had already mentally committed to well before I found them available (Taylor 458e-R and Epi IBG J-200) for various reasons, mostly a big bout Taylor rosewood 12 string and a solid wood maple J-200 on the inexpensive side. And the one before that was my Taylor 412e-R, a short scale, needed when I was having hand/finger issues.

There are a couple more I might buy if I run across them, but not actively seeking. And then there's my lottery guitar (Have to win a huge lottery sum to afford it).

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 08-16-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

The Ryan guitar I was resisting won the battle, and I’m glad. It’s a beauty and sounds phenomenal!
Old 08-16-2021, 01:48 PM

I've successfully talked myself out of buying a Collings 3-4 times in the last couple of years...but I finally lost the argument with myself.

I'll be taking the roadtrip from Missouri to Texas on my birthday next week to pick up a new-to-me OM1. I cannot wait!
Old 08-16-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Boy there's a lot of you who haven't yet realized you don't want a new guitar, you want to play better. It only took me six decades. Now I'm working my butt off instead of hoping a new guitar will do the trick. A guitar hasn't held me back since about 1992.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-16-2021, 04:09 PM

I could really make good use of a Martin SC-13e, and semi-retire my 51 year old D-28 (instead of using it live weekly) but just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

I haven't played one yet, so I should do that first just to make sure. Nearest guitar store is an hour away - that's my excuse for now!
Old 08-16-2021, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Two, right at the moment.

1) A 00-18V listed on CL not too far away. Had one of these once, traded it away, would like to have another.

2) Been seriously considering an Edmonds, thanks to you jokers.

And there was a Yairi DYMR70SB listed down in Colorado Springs that I called about, but the guy changed his mind and is going to keep it. Very nice guitar, but probably just as well.
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 08-16-2021, 04:29 PM

Default How many of you have a guitar purchase you’re trying to talk yourself out of?

A Lag Hyvibe
Want because of way cool demos and I play solo, and just seems to be a fantastic way of practicing and improving.
Might be a bad idea because 1) they are dreadnought size and the last dread I had hurt my shoulder; 2) Might be a gimmick that I tire of.

A lightweight electric
Want because the reason I don't play my electrics is purely due to weight (8-9 lbs)
Might be a bad idea because 1) I don't really get along with amps; 2) I might get bored playing solo electric

A 12-string
Want because I just want that 12-string sound
Might be a bad idea because 1) I might get fed up with extra strings to tune; 2) It might be too difficult to fingerpick; 3) Might only get played rarely (niche thing)
Old 08-16-2021, 04:54 PM

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a maple bodied guitar. I have a great mahogany in my Hummingbird, and 3 rosewoods (I could part with any of the three really) but am trying to resist. Especially this time of year when I am outside a lot more and don't play as much as during cold weather.

I am tempted by a Taylor 618, but have resisted because it's huge (5 inches deep) and long scale. So while I'm sure it would sound great it wouldn't be comfortable to play so would sit most of the time.

So I am resigned to searching for a maple dread with short scale, rosewood board and 1.75 nut which is very hard to find thus resisted so far.

Collings D2HG
Collings 002H 14 Fret
Gibson Hummingbird Original
Gibson Hummingbird Quilt (Maple)
Gibson J-29
Old 08-16-2021, 04:55 PM

Losing the battles on a regular basis. Bought an Orenda by Jason Harshbarger in the Klein/Kasha tradition, to some extent because I have one of his magnificent mandolins. At first had problems, in that the bridge kept pulling off. I have a great luthier, John McKenna, who fixed it and I've gone from feeling like a fool to exploring the nuances of radial bracing. My guitar partner is a gypsy jazz phenomenon and I thought it was foolish not to exploit his expertise when a guitar by Steve Karla of Hot Club of Asheville came up. $650 because of a back crack he'd repaired. Loving it, However, the big fish is coming. I wanted a baritone to see if such a guitar could heal my singing sins. Got a baritone by Luciano Maggi listed for $2150. I emailed him and asked him replacement cost for insurance purposes. He said $8,020 for replacement. The guitar arrives tomorrow, spruce with cocobolo back and sides. So I'm retired and live by myself with no other real vices but the evening cocktail, and I've done the math and realize there isn't all that much time left. The Italian lady I bought the baritone from wanted to be sure that I knew guitars were feminine. I assured her I did and I'm looking forward to many hours with the new girls.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
A Lag Hyvibe
Want because of way cool demos and I play solo, and just seems to be a fantastic way of practicing and improving.
Might be a bad idea because 1) they are dreadnought size and the last dread I had hurt my shoulder; 2) Might be a gimmick that I tire of....
An alternative is to install the HyVibe system into any guitar you want. I had one installed in an OM, but have heard of people installing them in 00s and parlors. You can do it yourself or have it done by one of their installers.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:21 PM

I’m feeling pretty good with what I have, and if something I really would want came up for sale (Kim Walker) I couldn’t afford it anyway!
My OM1 is about as good as it gets.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkpicker View Post
I've successfully talked myself out of buying a Collings 3-4 times in the last couple of years...but I finally lost the argument with myself.

I'll be taking the roadtrip from Missouri to Texas on my birthday next week to pick up a new-to-me OM1. I cannot wait!

Good for you!
Make sure it’s the traditional model!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion