The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Coming from me this will probably seem ridiculous but I do think there is something to be said for only having one guitar. For 20 years 71-91 pretty much all I had was a Gibson J50. Looking back it certainly wasn't one of their best guitars but I learned how to get the best out of it. When it finally moved on I had worn most of the finish off the neck and there were scratches and dings all over it. And yet it sold in a couple of days!

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 01-24-2017, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Good ideas, details and bottom lines. Thanks for sharing your full picture.
Nice image of giving it your all without fretting about dings.

I bought one of Bobbie's Goodall's a few years ago and I have yet to put a mark on that. I carefully play it 95% of the time without a pick.
I wear a soft tshirt (Not all cotton is created equal), no jeans.
I sit upright with perfect (for me) posture.

I wish I could strap it on, plug it in and move it around like I do on a few others. In fact it has a K&K and I haven't even tried it.
I go to songwriting circles and have never brought it.

Thanks for sharing your intent as a guitarist, ear for tone, and a kind musician.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 AM

Silly Moustache, you get well, sir. Mind over matter. And lots of dark green veggies and fresh fruit and unsalted nuts. Wheat grass juice!

Paul Hostetter said that 98% or more of a guitar's tone comes from the top.

I am not a guitar snob. I love them all, $100 boxes to $12 500 jobbies. Any guitar that plays in tune is a good guitar.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:53 AM

Jabberwocky I like your post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 07:09 AM

Best wishes to you Silly Moustache

I agree. The player and the woods are both of utmost importancee. All the time. Not mutually exclusive. Ever. It's always everything that matters

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM

I was never quite sure why a Hullah (English luthier) 000 I bought in '88 went from being a rather dull-sounding guitar to being my prize within four years. Maybe it was the change in climate - I moved from the cool, dry weather of Segovia (Spain), to the warm humidity of Rome; however, I also played the guitar intensively in those four years, a time before we all traded our stuff in at the drop of a hat. Whatever it was, I remember a period in Rome when, each time I picked up the guitar and played a chord, I'd think, "What a gorgeous-sounding guitar this is!"
Old 01-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Great post.

As a guy with a tight budget and a family, this place can be tough at times with the wealth of information about getting the exact sound you are searching for. Almost every day someone starts a NGD and my interest / jealousy is sparked once more.

This is the exact GAS smashing posts I needed, I think my cheap *** Yammie makes it happen for me... Every time I pick it up.

Good luck to you sir, I hope you frequent AGF for many years to come.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 AM

From where I sit , no wood is more traditional than maple and it is anything but endangered .
The Europeans that found Mahogany , Brazilian Rosewood , Ebony ..... were carrying and playing instruments made of maple and , of course Spruce .
Today's world finds a growing number of luthiers challenging the standard formula with great success .
With the advent of CITIES , the world of luthery is actually benefitting from a growth and resurgence of creativity that cannot be a bad thing .
Be well SM .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion