The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
If BB Brown is correct about Martin selling the Sigma name, I defer to his superior knowledge. Best wishes.
Wow, that's a first.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
If BB Brown is correct about Martin selling the Sigma name, I defer to his superior knowledge. Best wishes.
From Sigma's website, please read the bottom paragraph:

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.p...5c1ce95aa342cd

"Obtained" means "purchased" in my mind.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-15-2012, 02:43 PM

AMI is a highly reputated company and official distributor for Martin Guitars in Germany. The Sigma business they're doing is perfectly legal.
I don't think Martin would tolerate any action that would violate their own business.

Somebody asked about the Sigma OOO 15M.
I bought two of those for two of my students. They're very very good beginners guitars and actually a bit more than that.
Fit and finish are very nice and clean, parts (bone nut/saddle, Grover tuners), and wood are more than just ok, they play really great.
Sound is warm and full (solid hog top), good for fingerpicking and strumming.
Naturally, tone is not quite at the level of a (much more expensive) all solid wood guitar, in particular low notes are lacking some definition, but they definitely don't sound cheap.
For that kind of money they're more than efficient, real fun to play.

One of my students: She loves her new guitar!

Michael
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
That 000R-28V sure looks appealing to me. Them list prices are quite attractive. Wonder about the quality....
I tried one of these on the weekend. I was suitably impressed, especially after trying some of the lower priced just prior. The fit and finish was excellent. I saw and tried the 00028V , 00028S, and the D28.

the view from down at the crossroads.

a couple of guitars, a mandolin,bongo drums, some harps, a recorder, train whistle and a kazoo....
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM

I'd seriously consider one of the Sigma 15-series if I could find one in the States. I emailed Sigma to ask for a U.S. dealer and I received no reply.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

If the specs don't specifically say "solid", it's laminated.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpsr View Post
If the specs don't specifically say "solid", it's laminated.
That's my experience as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Oy vey... Deja vu with the uninformed, knee-jerk hostility to this non-US brand... Meh, one gets used to it on most of the guitar, mandolin and ukulele forums.

As for facts: I have a mahogany Sigma DM-15. It's a solid top dread with lam back and sides. Nice sound, decent volume and the nicest neck of any acoustic guitar I've owned (I have a preference for fairly shallow profiles).

Construction on these things is extremely neat and tidy. With a mirror I can see a tiny spot of squeeze-out from a corner of the bridge plate. A Gibson Jumbo I set up for someone a while ago had way more stray glue than this.

Bone nut and saddle, thin matt finish (but I buffed the top of mine to a moderate antique gloss).

I love this Sigma. I'm thinking of adding another to the family.

I played another three in the store. A smaller bodied all-mahogany, a spruce-top dread and an electro-acoustic, cutaway dread. I would be very happy to own any of them, and the prices are hard to believe.

Here's a couple of reviews of some of their other dreads.

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/g...-537269/review

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/g...-537270/review.
Squier Classic Vibe Strat

Last edited by buddhuu; 08-05-2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you'll have to excuse me, but this stinks through and through. If you read the Sigma "history," there is NO mention of Martin. I'm guessing that whatever trademark rights Martin had in Sigma have expired, and this was simply ripped off. Chris Martin has talked in the past about being ripped off in China and has met with U.S. representatives to see what options might be available. (Fat chance.)

I truly hope these guitars are pieces of crap and that the enterprise sinks. Legalistics aside, it simply isn't right.
I agree with this and other similar comments people have made. IMO it is "un American" to support Sigma or anything like it.

2011 57 Reissue Vintage American Stratocaster Lefty
2011 Martin OM28V L
2010 Takamine EG340CH (JUNK)
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM

I don't understand why people are making a big deal out of this. Martin sold the rights and the company. And to say its Un-American is crazyyyyyy talk lol.. American guitars are way over priced, for only being built in America. We have these in one of the shops in my hometown in Canada and i gotta say they are a great guitar for the price you pay.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM

I'm with The Knot.
Why the animosity? They're doing legitimate business as they bought the name, selling awesome sounding guitars at reasonable prices.
I bought one unseen and it sounds every bit as good as the Martins I played in the stores.

That argument is like saying 'It's a crime to buy a Volvo since they're now owned by Zhejiang Geely Holding Group in China and not Ford Motor Company'. Ford bought that company from the Swedes, but it was OK to buy it in the US while it was still owned by Ford, but not prior when it was owned by the Swedes and certainly not now when it's owned by the Chinese.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 AM

Little minds have little problems.

I've never owned a Sigma guitar, but if these new Sigmas were avaliable here, I'd definitely check them out. And....if I really liked one, I'd buy it. It's my money, I earned it, it's a free country and I'll buy and play whatever I want.

Personally, I don't see any difference between buying one of the new Sigmas or buying a Recording King, Blue Ridge, Yamaha or any of a number of other Chinese built guitars.

Sure.....they're blatant copies of the American made Martins, but so what? It's not like it's the first time it's happened. Who cares? People who can afford Martins, and like 'em, will continue buying them. I don't think anybody needs to worry about Martin Guitars going out of business. Not anytime soon, anyway.

Oh, and BTW, I do own an American Made Martin....just so you know.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheclassics View Post
I agree with this and other similar comments people have made. IMO it is "un American" to support Sigma or anything like it.
Jeez, what a steaming heap.
Squier Classic Vibe Strat
Old 08-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Default Anyone tried the new Sigma guitars?

I wish I could try one of these out, but no chance as yet.
I've checked out their website thoroughly and read various reviews and I'm pretty impressed so far.
I'm a big fan of Martin but I have to admit that these look great for the price, and their site is much more attractive and easier to navigate than Martin's.
If I was looking for a less expensive secondary guitar I'd consider one of these as much as Epiphone, Yamaha, Takamine, Etc, and for those who just can't (or won't) shell out for a Martin, these look like a viable alternative.

PS: A double steaming heap on the whole "un-American" thing... Hey, all's fair in love and war.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroman1969 View Post
PS: A double steaming heap on the whole "un-American" thing... Hey, all's fair in love and war.
Not to mention that the Sigmas are mainly available in the UK and EU, where supporting America isn't always our first priority...

Seriously though, the Chinese Martins that Chris Martin is talking about are actually labeled CF Martin, someone in China trademarked or copyrighted (not sure of the right term) the CF Martin name and the Chinese govt. seem to care very little what it maydo to the American Martin company. Apparently the guitars are only supposed to be sold within China, but I have already seen them for sale on ebay.co.uk. These Sigmas have nothing to do with those guitars. In fact the shop where Mr Martin spoke to us about the problem was Westside Guitars in Denmark Street, who carry the entire Sigma line. Westside are the sole importers of Martin guitars for the whole of the UK, they would not be carrying Sigmas if there was any conflict.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion