The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2022, 12:46 AM

Wasn't 100% by choice. Local bands kinda died out a few years back. The few bands that were left want someone who can commit to touring or playing out every weekend. That doesn't work when your job requires working every other weekend. I don't miss being being a "hired gun" in original bands, which paid nothing.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Lifer full time pro, but almost always under the radar.

By the time I was out of college I had played in more bands than I will ever remember. Then I was a band leader for about 20 years. Another bazillion bands, and many brain cells under the bridge…. Hahahaha

About 92 I got busy on solo guitar and a couple years later I was off and running.

Since I play harmonicas in the rack and foot percussion as well as standard and slide and lap slide I usually sound better by myself than with “help”.
My voice is the driver of the party bus.

Anyone accompanying me needs to be a really good listener, as I do my own derangements of any covers. But I have a bunch of originals too.

So YES, I love playing solo. I call it retro acoustic one man band. No electricity needed, but plenty on tap if required.

Jam on

Paul
"my own derangements" I like that!
Old 01-11-2022, 06:31 AM

There are advantages and disadvantages to every ensemble size. Control is certainly one advantage of playing solo. Your tempo, your rubato in part of the song if you fell it makes musical sense, etc. More flexibility all around. Voice is a little tired? Play that high song down a step tonight. On the other hand, if something goes wrong there is little question who's at fault, and I can't switch to flute for the next song. If you don't use a looper it's hard to fit in a bunch of those old Clapton licks you perfected as a youth.

Groups are fun socially and musically. You can pass musical ideas around the group, especially in the middle of solo sections. More realistic styles of music available to a group. If your back is sore you can get someone else to load the amps after the gig.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-11-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Not particularly.

When I'm the only instrumentalist, I have all the responsibility but little of the attention or credit. Things sound far better if they're worked out in advance, so say goodbye to much improvisation.

(I LIVE to improvise!)
How is it that you're lacking attention, or 'credit,' as a solo performer?

I improvise a lot too - it's one of the things I love about solo performing - I can improvise the whole shebang if I want..

Parenthood forced me into solo performing 10 years ago. But I play a bunch of instruments that are suited for this - these days I play accordions

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion