The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Can someone explain to me why Martin doesn't install the end pin at the factory?
Because they don't don't know if you are going to end pin it for a strap, or put in a pickup, and for safety in the case in shipping. The guitar doesn't actually need an endpin.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-10-2024, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I've left a couple of messages for Shoreline recently and haven't heard back. Has anyone had contact with them?
I did get my ToneDexter 2 from them a few months back, but unfortunately they seem to be mostly out of business:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=685222
Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
and the next question, Todd, is why Martins should be so susceptible to this type of damage, when other manufacturers ship thousands of guitars annually with the endpins fitted, with no ill effect ...
Them other folks might use a plywood end block or cap a traditional solid wood end block with cross-grained wood.

Or use their heads like Taylor and use a screwed-on end pin ( I have no idea if Taylor addresses the split-wood-when-you-drop-it problem inherent to solid end blocks).

Dumbest persistent guitar nonsense I've seen is persisting to use tapered end pins (otherwise known as splitting wedges).
Old 05-12-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Them other folks might use a plywood end block or cap a traditional solid wood end block with cross-grained wood.

Or use their heads like Taylor and use a screwed-on end pin ( I have no idea if Taylor addresses the split-wood-when-you-drop-it problem inherent to solid end blocks).

Dumbest persistent guitar nonsense I've seen is persisting to use tapered end pins (otherwise known as splitting wedges).
Tapered end pins are traditional as the tailpiece anchor in violin construction. Sure there are other ways that are practical today, on the other hand much of the appreciation of hand built instruments is in traditional design and construction.

I don't mind that the end pin in my Santa Cruz doesn't use a taper pin, on the other hand, that's what I'm doing in my builds, partly because I've already got the 5° taper reamer for bridge pins.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:40 AM

I'm pretty sure that 'traditional' builders used the latest technology available at the time they worked. I see no reason to ignore technical maturity over time. We use electricity in our shops, for example to power our tools, not water wheels, and for lighting. Threaded fasteners are in common use now, too. And plywood.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Unless I’m dreaming, don’t Martin hard shell cases have a little cut out in the butt pad specifically for an end pin? I don’t believe that all the other major builders who supply guitars with end pins installed have mastered some rocket science about global logistics that Martin can’t grasp. They also aren’t leaving them out so you can install electronics. If they were, they would drill a 1/2” hole instead of a tapered hole. I’m therefore left to conclude Martin just doesn’t want to install the end pin.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-12-2024, 02:18 PM

And they can skip the effort to properly seat the pin, you know, just like the bridge pins.
Old 05-12-2024, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Unless I’m dreaming, don’t Martin hard shell cases have a little cut out in the butt pad specifically for an end pin? I don’t believe that all the other major builders who supply guitars with end pins installed have mastered some rocket science about global logistics that Martin can’t grasp. They also aren’t leaving them out so you can install electronics. If they were, they would drill a 1/2” hole instead of a tapered hole. I’m therefore left to conclude Martin just doesn’t want to install the end pin.
In my post above, I noted that a Waterloo that was shipped to me with an endpin installed arrived with a crack in the lower bout from (apparently) thr packing box having been dropped on its end. The guitar was in the original hardshell TKL case that came with the guitar. The case has the little cutout for the endpin, so that protection was insufficient in this case (no pun intended).

Furthermore, not everyone wants an endpin installed. For guitars that have a hole drilled for an endpin, I for one prefer that the guitar not have the endpin installed by the manufacturer—I leave the endpin in the case. For guitars that I have had built for me, I specify that they not have a hole for an endpin.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Can someone explain to me why Martin doesn't install the end pin at the factory?
Prevent shipping damage.

I've seen a small shop put some glue on one, put it in the hole, and handed it to the new owner. So yes, it may be glued. Unfortunately, it happens.

Use some plumbers tape if it comes out easily.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
In my post above, I noted that a Waterloo that was shipped to me with an endpin installed arrived with a crack in the lower bout from (apparently) thr packing box having been dropped on its end. The guitar was in the original hardshell TKL case that came with the guitar. The case has the little cutout for the endpin, so that protection was insufficient in this case (no pun intended).
Did that happen before the companies started using the form fitted cushions in the boxes to protect the guitars? I have shipped a bunch of cased guitars over the years including about 40 that I sold after a buddy passed away and his family asked me for help 2 years ago. Add to that all the ones I decided to sell.

Unless I am forgetting, every single guitar I have personally bought other than Martins came with end pins or jacks. FYI - I’m not anti Martin. We have 3 in the house. Two are mine and one is my wife’s.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Did that happen before the companies started using the form fitted cushions in the boxes to protect the guitars? I have shipped a bunch of cased guitars over the years including about 40 that I sold after a buddy passed away and his family asked me for help 2 years ago. Add to that all the ones I decided to sell.

Unless I am forgetting, every single guitar I have personally bought other than Martins came with end pins or jacks. FYI - I’m not anti Martin. We have 3 in the house. Two are mine and one is my wife’s.
The guitar was shipped by the Kealakai Center for Pacific Strings in Hawaii. They have dozens of priceless instruments in their collection, and know how to pack a guitar. I’m sure they thought it was safe to leave the endpin in. This damage was entirely preventable:

It didn’t/doesn’t affect the guitar structurally, and it looks a lot better after it was repaired. But still.

I think Martin—and plenty of other builders—are wise to ship guitars without the endpin installed. It’s like the cheapest form of insurance.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I had asked if they had used the form fit end pieces of air filled plastic that secure and cushion the top and bottom of the case in the box.

Additionally, I can personally attest that all the Gibson, Taylor, Larrivee, Eastman, Yamaha, and Guild guitars that I have seen in shops all come with end pins or jacks installed. Martin is the only major builder who drills a tapered hole that doesn’t even fit the end pin they provide. You have to get a end pin reamer from Stew Mac that costs more than the **** pin is worth to install it.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-13-2024, 07:13 AM

I believe the way Taylor screws in their end pin is like a joint where the end pin jack seats flush.
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 05-13-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

A common solution to the end pin drop problem is to have 2-3''of Styrofoam at the bottom of the box to act as a shock absorber with a hole cut out to accommodate the end pin.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I didn't buy my Guild online, I bought it from a store, so it wasn't shipped. But when I bought it the end pin was in the case. I don't know if it came from the factory that way or if the dealer did that for some reason.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion