The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2024, 10:09 AM

Yes, I have a dedicated room that I keep all of my guitars and live music gear/PA. If you have the extra room available I would definitely recommend it. It's nice to have a place to "get away" to play rather than amongst the distractions of daily life.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 05-10-2024, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

We just did a re-do of the 2 back bedrooms, carpet and paint, and a KS bed in what used to be my guitar room. No room for guitars now.

We also have a den that is my reading/napping/watching golf room, so I moved my guitars in there. I'm really happy with it. My guitar rack is to the right in the photo.

20240406_152111.jpg
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 05-10-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncles View Post
So my son joined the family business as it were (he joined the Coast Guard even after growing up with his dad in the Coast Guard) and his room has been largely empty for 3 yrs now. After talking to the wife and trying to pick her brain.. She seems to have NO plans for the space.

Immediately I went to guitar room! My thought was to free up space in the office from all the guitars, cases, amps, PA, pedals, and music books.

While she did not say yes, she did not say NO!!! (So you're tell'n me there's a chance!)

Anyone else where have a dedicated music or guitar room? And if so, what advice/tips would you share?
I am in-process doing exactly this, for the exact same reasons. Have you made any decisions about treatment or flooring, or are you leaving it all the same? I am ripping out carpet and putting in hardwood, and I'll probably do some room treatment. I have some nice comfy chairs in storage waiting to go, and half of the room will be a personal studio. What are you exact plans? Do you know?
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-10-2024, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

I wish ! I bought my house in 1980 intending to get another company move (fully funded back then) in 2 or 3 years.

Then I met the skinny woman in a pub .......
Still here!
Old 05-10-2024, 12:11 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkUncles View Post
So my son joined the family business as it were (he joined the Coast Guard even after growing up with his dad in the Coast Guard) and his room has been largely empty for 3 yrs now.
Is that him flying the Jayhawks over my head every day down to CGB Elizabeth City? I'm on the path between NAB Norfolk and Elizabeth City.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-10-2024, 12:43 PM

No thanks. I like to have the guitar close to where I am when I'm doing my usual thing. I don't want to have to make a journey to special room to pick up a guitar.
Old 05-10-2024, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I had a dedicated music room in my last home. It was quite elaborate and could have qualified as a studio, complete with remote plug locations for each instrument on the walls (headphones, DI to board). I loved it.

Today my home office doubles as a music room, but no studio features.

I am currently designing my next home and it will have a dedicated music room that is quite large (a primary feature in the house). I like the ability to leave everything set up the way I left it. I hate wasting valuable time moving things around and dealing with cords and pedal boards. I hope to get decades of enjoyment out of it.
Old 05-10-2024, 01:07 PM

I've got an awesome music room. It even has a full bath. But, I keep a guitar downstairs in my bedroom. Guess where I spend more time playing?
Old 05-10-2024, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I do, it's also a recording room. Whole room humidification is awesome and the best way to keep your instruments.
Mine is acoustically treated and sounds wonderful. Guitar room is highly recommended.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I had 12x14 room built in my basement complete with extra outlets, a dedicated circuit in my electrical box and sound insulation to keep Mama happy. I also put a TV in with a sound system so I can use my internet connection to access You Tube music and lesson videos as well as backing tracks. It serves as my a rehearsal room for the acoustic duet I’m in as well. The whole thing cost about $2500…nothin fancy.
One of the smartest things I’ve done.
it's very nice!
Old 05-10-2024, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I'm blessed to have the run of a room in our basement. I used to share it with my wife's sewing gear but she's moved into the other side of our finished basement. I now have too much room so I guess it's time to buy more gear.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:03 PM

Get a good stud finder, use String Swing brand hangers, and stagger the guitars to conserve space (it also looks cool).

Hang guitars away from heaters and windows.

Get a room humidifier and keep the door closed to control temp and humidity.

Invest in a very comfortable chair or small couch + a stool or two for guests.

Bonus points for small directional ceiling spot lights or floor up lights.

Cases go in the closet or depending on size of house, in basement.

Keep only 1 or two amps in the guitar room if you have another room to play and keep the big amps.

Keep cats and small children out of the room. No exceptions. Dogs are cool if they’re mellow.

Door with a lock.

1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:38 PM

I have a music room which is fabulous to have but I spent too long sitting in there, door closed, recording, learning, playing - like a mushroom!.....and mostly use it as a guitar/music storeroom now while I just love playing in my front room near the window watching all the goings on!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-10-2024, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
No thanks. I like to have the guitar close to where I am when I'm doing my usual thing. I don't want to have to make a journey to special room to pick up a guitar.
A music room doesn't stop you from doing that. I keep a guitar next to the couch, one in the bedroom. And, if I have to make a "journey" a few steps certainly aren't going to hurt me.

I never understood the idea that a case or room keeps people from playing. The effort is so minimal.

Last edited by Bowie; 05-10-2024 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I'll have to talk my wife into letting me put guitars in all our bathrooms!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion