The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
This is an old thread and this may have been mentioned a few times since, but I just visited the Larrivee website and now their higher end Mahogany series (i.e. 05 and 50) clearly state:

*All mahogany is FSC certified Khaya, commonly know as African mahogany or tropical mahogany.

So I assume that Larrivee is not using any "Honduran" at all anymore.

Your assumption is correct. South American mahogany is becoming more difficult to find in quality good enough to build with. It's the same reason why Martin currently uses Sipo wood on its 15-series. Regarding Larrivee, one can rest assured that Jean Larrivee is sourcing the best wood available to make the best guitars. His travels for wood and knowledge of it is almost legendary.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Hey guys, curious if you know why Larrivée switched their mahogany -03s to be Sapele? If you have had experience with them would you mind sharing?
Actual Honduran/South American Mahogany has gotten very expensive over the past 15 years.

Larrivee switched to Sapele in the early 2000's, but has not used Sapele for many years now. Mathew has stated publicly that they no longer use Sapele and will not do so.

The reason is that the dust can trigger a severe allergic reaction similar to Cocobolo. They switched to Khaya years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaya
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Not a Larrivee, but I am looking at getting a smaller bodied guitar with a shorter scale than my standard dreads. Number one on my list is the Sapele back and sided Martin Dreadnought Jr. Sounds pretty good to me.

Hagstrom Swede
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 PM

While similar to mahogany in tone, I find it somewhat brighter and not in a good way.

I would not buy a Sapele guitar again as mahogany is right on the cusp for what I like in brightness for a guitar.

I own a Martin sapele D15 Slope shoulder and have owned others and find the treble notes too thin and/or trebley. It's got incredible bass and is now my beach guitar so I'm keeping it.

Good tonewood, just not for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion