The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I'm pairing down for retirement but if I add another Martin it will be an 000-18GE, played about 6 and they were all wonderful!!
I retired two years ago, and bought a guitar since ... the OM-18 Special custom (with a low profile neck and the 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 spacing at the bridge). Truly a great guitar. IF I hit the lottery (whaddy mean I gotta BUY a ticket?) I'd get the OM-21 Special, and sell everything else except the D-18GE and OM-18 Special.

I auditioned a 000-18GE at Fretted Instruments in Amherst MA, and it was a delight to hear and play. Had I not already had the OM I'd have brought it home with me. The guys in Nazareth are making some of the best instruments in their long history.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I retired two years ago, and bought a guitar since ... the OM-18 Special custom (with a low profile neck and the 1 3/4 nut and 2 5/16 spacing at the bridge). Truly a great guitar. IF I hit the lottery (whaddy mean I gotta BUY a ticket?) I'd get the OM-21 Special, and sell everything else except the D-18GE and OM-18 Special.

I auditioned a 000-18GE at Fretted Instruments in Amherst MA, and it was a delight to hear and play. Had I not already had the OM I'd have brought it home with me. The guys in Nazareth are making some of the best instruments in their long history.
Agreed! I would not say the woods are "better" than 30 years ago, but then nobody's woods are. However the fit/finish, and especially the PLEK'd factory setup/action is excellent, I have not had to set up my last few Martins like was almost expected years ago.

Yes, Martin is on a role. My GC lately is selling more high enders than anything, GE/Authentics, 42/45's are moving faster than the standards (per my GC buds), and the new "P"s selling better than the standards, go figure....

Martin & Co. makes me smile every day

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM

I have a D-18V in the mail right now but was considering the GE, but just couldn't get over the "bulk" of the neck. I like V necks and actually prefer them as the allow me to use my thumb as sort of a lever in order to do some more muscular things. I would have loved to have the adi top of the GE as well as some of the other features, but just couldn't deal with that neck. Being an electric player primarily, Gibson has also made the same mistake with their reissue Les Pauls. The necks are much larger than those found on 50's Les Pauls, although they tell me they are getting better. If Martin would just take a touch of wood off the neck, I'd buy one in a second.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNJ View Post
Also, the J-50 should have a 1-23/32" neck, not 1-5/8" (if I'm not mistaken, but I guess it always depends on the individual guitar).
I believe that is true of modern J-50's, but I think the Gibsons in the 60's had very narrow (1-5/8") nuts. Original poster has a '61 model...
Old 08-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Rich, that's a good lookin' family you've got there!
Old 08-17-2011, 03:52 PM

WOW! Rich you will need a bigger fire place soon
Old 08-17-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender69 View Post
I have a D-18V in the mail right now but was considering the GE, but just couldn't get over the "bulk" of the neck. .
You're telling us that the GE neck is bigger than the V neck? I thought they were the same size.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
You're telling us that the GE neck is bigger than the V neck? I thought they were the same size.
I played one earlier today and honestly, I don't see what the fuss is all about It felt like a nice neck to me. The dealer handed me 5 or 6 guitars one after the other - several Martins, Bourgeois - and I can't say I noticed a significant difference at all. It was marginal, at best, and I easily transitioned without really even noticing.

By the way, I walked out with a Martin Custom Shop HD-28V with Adirondack/Madagascar. Oh my...!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7 View Post
I played one earlier today and honestly, I don't see what the fuss is all about It felt like a nice neck to me. The dealer handed me 5 or 6 guitars one after the other - several Martins, Bourgeois - and I can't say I noticed a significant difference at all. It was marginal, at best, and I easily transitioned without really even noticing.

By the way, I walked out with a Martin Custom Shop HD-28V with Adirondack/Madagascar. Oh my...!
Y'all are killin' me !!!!
Congrats on the new Martin !!!
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
I believe that is true of modern J-50's, but I think the Gibsons in the 60's had very narrow (1-5/8") nuts. Original poster has a '61 model...
I had a 1966 Gibson J-50 that had the narrow 1 9/16 nut.
I'm pretty sure my 1961 has a 1 11/16 nut. It's definitely wider than the 1966 I had.
Thanks for all the insight everybody.
My quest for a D-18GE will begin in earnest very soon.
I'll keep everyone updated.
Chuck
2012 Martin 000-28H "Ambertone 1933"......"Rosebud"
(The 000-28H is actually my wifes..:-) )
2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
The V has a 11/16 nut while the GE has a 3/4 nut. The V's I've played seem to have just a little smaller profile, although I haven't played all than many. I'll let you know on Mon or Tues. Guess I'm gonna find out.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender69 View Post
The V has a 11/16 nut while the GE has a 3/4 nut. The V's I've played seem to have just a little smaller profile, although I haven't played all than many. I'll let you know on Mon or Tues. Guess I'm gonna find out.
Yes, right you are. I was hot on the trail of an HD-28V and had every intention of buying one until I stumbled upon a D-28 Marquis. I loved the wider nut - good for finger space - and have found it to be a handful when I barre, but I would not undo my decision. Have great times with your GE.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony7 View Post

Congrats I've owned two Martin Madis, the 000-42MEC and an America's Guitar. I really do prefer Madi over EIR but to be fair Martin's Madi models are more expensive than most standards, so maybe not quite apples to apples pricewise.

I love HD-28V's, had one for years but the thinner nut doesn't work for me. Your Adi/Madi custom should be a terrific guitar, enjoy!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion