The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 AM

Kyser
PROs: Owned several Kysers and never once had an issue with it losing tension. Kysers also are easy to repair and you can buy replacement rubber shoes and springs if one does lose its tension. Easy to apply and remove.

CONs: Since it doesn't have a tension control, it does have a tendency to pull strings hard.

G7th
PROs: G7th is a nice capo as well, holds the clamp and really cradles the neck. Doesn't pull sharp on pitch and the simple mechanism can be used to adjust the tension.

CONs: Bulky and expensive. Note, these are purely personal preferences, especially the former.

There are so many on the market, the Shubb is potentially the best bet. Readily available in stores, easy to repair, and since it is available, you can test drive it and see if it works for you.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 AM

I find more than anything else that the Kyser just gets in my way, so these days i only use shubb, it's a 12 string model and covers most things that i need, including classical.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 AM

I use Kyser capos and have no problem with the string going sharp. The reason is that I place it so the edge of the rubber pad is directly over the fret. It doesn't get in my way and being directly over the fret prevents it from pushing the sting down too much. I even tested this with a tuner just to satisfy my own curiosity. I would say that no matter which capo you use placing it as close to the fret as possible would be a good idea.

Last edited by antojado; 08-27-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 AM

My vote is for the Planet Waves NS capo. light weight, and adjustable.., IMO

the view from down at the crossroads.

a couple of guitars, a mandolin,bongo drums, some harps, a recorder, train whistle and a kazoo....
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 AM

Default Re-tune when using a Capo ??

Not meaning to get this thread off track here, but I was raised to believe that one should always retune working with a Capo no matter what the brand

So, anyway, I've been a Kyser user for many years and that's my protocol....Works for me
Old 08-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
Not meaning to get this thread off track here, but I was raised to believe that one should always retune working with a Capo no matter what the brand

So, anyway, I've been a Kyser user for many years and that's my protocol....Works for me
If the guitar is still in tune after the capo is in place, what is the rationale for retuning? I would not say one should always retune, I'd say, it is almost always necessary to retune unless, of course, one does not mind playing a guitar that is slightly out of tune.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Default If Using a CAPO.....CHECK the tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
If the guitar is still in tune after the capo is in place, what is the rationale for retuning? I would not say one should always retune, I'd say, it is almost always necessary to retune unless, of course, one does not mind playing a guitar that is slightly out of tune.
Sorry....I should have said Check the tuning, not necessarily Re-tune...

Thanks for the clarification !!

And yes, I almost always need to re-tune
Old 08-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Are the Dunlop capos good? Nobody seems to be recommending them, but I see them often in guitar shops.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
Sorry....I should have said Check the tuning, not necessarily Re-tune...

Thanks for the clarification !!

And yes, I almost always need to re-tune
Try making sure your capo is as close to the fret as possible. As I said in my post above, I set the edge of the capo directly on the fret and it doesn't change the tuning.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antojado View Post
Try making sure your capo is as close to the fret as possible. As I said in my post above, I set the edge of the capo directly on the fret and it doesn't change the tuning.

I'll give that a try

Thanks!! (I will still ALWAYS check guitar tuning no matter what though when using a Capo ...Just me)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion