The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith View Post
Only been playing since march, practice at least 6 times a week for at least half hour, now that ive learned the cowboy chords as people call them ive seemed to have lost interest in learning anymore. I wanted to learn all i could at first and now that i can play some songs i dont want to play near as much. This happened to anyone else?
To answer your question, not really other than sporadically through the years. In those cases, I laid off until I wanted to start again. Also, it may just be that this isn't a long-term hobby for you and that there's no need to do special things to motivate yourself.

I'd say walk away for a while and see what happens.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

I forgot to put The Beatles and Al Petteway on my "wannabe" list. The whole idea is to have goals, but don't make a job out of it (I did a bit when I was a kid, you can lose touch with real people, )

Bottom line is find a sound you'd like to emulate and give it a try, then something else, etc, etc. It'll keep you moving "forward" in a way. Most of all have fun doing it.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 08-14-2022, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Learn some songs.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:48 PM

I can relate. I need a good teacher and some friends to hang out with and just play. That's a tall order in Sheridan, WY. I'm not a drinker/smoker/drugs person, so that may make it tougher.
Old 08-14-2022, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Smile PS

Johnny Cash said he wrote all his hits with 5 chords and a capo.

Three and the truth will do.

Just sing it like you mean it!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-14-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post

If you want to learn, surround yourself with better musicians.
…. Yeah sometimes better musicians might want to play with players who are not yet in the same league…..but in reality most accomplished players want to play with other accomplished players…..unless they’re teaching….in which case there is often payment involved….

….I do however recommend finding playing partners that are close to your own skill set so you can learn from one another and keep your musical interest alive….
Old 08-14-2022, 03:35 PM

I've been primarily influenced by the great Americana singer songwriters - John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark, Robert Hunter, Robert Earl Keen, Lucinda Williams, Gram Parsons, Slaid Cleaves, Rod Picott, Eric Taylor, Steve Goodman, Steve Earle, Steve Forbert, Jeffery Martin, Joe Pug.....many more.

There's more material from these folks than I could ever learn and I've been at it over 45 years. Most of this uses the "basic" chords, but man, what these people can do with a few basics!

I never get tired of learning new songs. What kind of music, which artists do you like to hear? Learn their songs, transposing as needed to fit your voice and style.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:45 PM

The dreaded 'plateau.'

Where what was fun and engaging becomes 'so what?'

This will most likely occur over and over in your life as long as you play, so coming up with your own approach on how to handle it NOW is important.

There was something that inspired you. What happened to it? Can you regain it, or do you need to 'start over' to find the excitement?

My suggestion is justinguitar or something similar. Use a process and get some structure into your learning.

As well, set a couple long term goals, and then define short term objectives that support the goals.

Do you have songs you would like to play if you were more accomplished? Put them on the list of objectives.

Very few of us can learn anything significant without some sort of structure.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 08-14-2022, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Only been playing since march, practice at least 6 times a week for at least half hour, now that ive learned the cowboy chords as people call them ive seemed to have lost interest in learning anymore. I wanted to learn all i could at first and now that i can play some songs i dont want to play near as much. This happened to anyone else?
Try to learn some of your favorite songs that will help motivate you.....Well that has worked for me.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I have been playing now for longer than I care to remember, but what I do recall is exactly as you described. In my case I remember initially being absolutely in awe of anyone who could get a tune of a guitar, yet once I could do it myself (to a certain degree), I struggled to be motivated , the total mystery of how it was done was "solved" , my fingers could make basic chord shapes and were no longer sore. Nothing seems to quite match the thrill of first being able to play a recognisable song, and it can be hard to drive yourself after that. I remember losing interest, selling my guitar after not touching it for weeks and didn't miss it....... for a few days! Once it was no longer an option to play, I realised that it was something I wanted in my life and quite quickly bought another.

I have no easy answer, the guitar may be something that you feel you have tried, "mastered" (in as far as getting a tune out of it) ,and feel ready for something else instead. Or maybe just a break for a while before the next stage of learning. We only really compete with ourselves here, and it can be hard to be motivated after that first rush.
In my case, my love of the music, and the urge to learn some of my favourite (and more complicated compositions) pushed (and pushes) me ever onward.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 08-14-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:44 AM

Explore alternate tunings!
It took me decades to finally take the plunge, and I'm sorry I wasted SO much guitar time on just standard tuning.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 08-15-2022, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

MORE INFO :

Do you sing and play or play instrumental only ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-15-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
By learning basic cowboy chords you have placed your foot in the doorway to prevent the door from closing. It's entirely up to you to decide if you want to come in.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Sometimes I will look at chords in a different shape to get a different voicing. Just to try and keep things fresh.

So far it's worked. I started playing at age 10 and now I am 63.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 08-15-2022, 09:48 AM

We all hit plateaus. Not only in guitar playing, by the way. After 13 years of playing, I broke my left elbow (at my daughter's 4th birthday party). The resulting cast and immobility made it nearly impossible to play, so I put aside my guitars -- for years!

I came back after a while out of sheer ennui. I've been playing ever since. Some people, I think, never do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion