The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurph1 View Post
just so I understand, Does this mean my 000-17SM is "forward braced"? And what does that mean tonewise? Thanks Scott
Not sure of the "forward braced" but with that added body length it sure gives that extra umph. Don't you agree?

Shame they took these SM off the assembly line.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:01 AM

12 fret cutaway with low profile heel is my favorite configuration. Gives at least as much upper fret access as 14 fret cutaway with typical chunky heel. I'm not sure if there's actually any tonal benefit to 12 frets, but it certainly looks more elegant having the bridge centered at the lower bout, and octave fret at the body joint.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Neck width matters to me. I spent 20 years on a D35 with a 1-11/16 neck, then bought a guitar with a 1-13/16 neck. I like the wider neck. Also, a shorter scale, say 24.5, is fine with me. I wondered if a 12-fret would accommodate both preferences.
That is a VERY short scale. However your description pretty much fits the Gibson L-1 - y'know the Robert Johnson style.

However the replicas made by Gibson have far too skinny a neck.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
12 fret cutaway with low profile heel is my favorite configuration. Gives at least as much upper fret access as 14 fret cutaway with typical chunky heel. I'm not sure if there's actually any tonal benefit to 12 frets, but it certainly looks more elegant having the bridge centered at the lower bout, and octave fret at the body joint.
Which companies build that configuration? Favorite example? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 PM

Everything's been said already. I can hear and feel the differences in 12-fret bodies and short scale guitars. Not that my collection's that big, but I have all and have no intentions on parting with any. Right now, though, I'm all about long scale and 14 fret. I've taken more to singing, so the capo's part of the equation. I'm messing around with open D and Dm tuning, so there's more slack on the short scale guitar when tuned down. It's noticeable to me.

If I went shopping for a guitar right now, I'd get the Martin OM-28A.

f-d
Old 06-22-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I do play up the neck, as far as 15th and 17th fret with some regularity, so I find a 12-fret version limiting, especially without a cutaway. I am firmly bonded with 14-fret guitars, and it takes a few minutes to recalibrate my brain when picking up a twelve-frets-to-the-body guitar.

But I understand the advantages of a 12-fret - giving warmer more "open" or mature tone, better compactness of feel and playing comfort, etc.
@Earl49 says it (with edits), so I don't have to repeat myself.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmist View Post
These are excellent answers, so I'm only gonna add that ever since I got my Larrivee OO 12 fret, 14 fretters sound thin and airy which is kind of a drag. I can't imagine buying a 14 fret guitar ever, which means an artificial constraint to my GAS pains since they're so hard to find.

I didn't notice anyone mentioning running out of frets playing higher up, so finding one with a cutaway is crucial if you play up the neck with a capo.

And one last kick in the shins to Taylor, who've done quite a lot to popularize the 12 fret, but I've bought and then sold 3 of them cause they were boring. I'm mystified why I couldn't bond with any of them despite being a Taylor owner for 30 years.

If you can find a Martin or Larrivee 12 fret to try out, that'll be the sound of a 12 fret. All my humble opinion, of course.
Hello just wanted to throw this in. My Gibson LG2 is a 14 fretter and I wouldn't describe it as "thin sounding". In reality to my ears it is focused and punches through a mix nicely. My 2 cents. Have a nice day.

"And I wonder, still I wonder, who'll stop the rain"?
Old 06-22-2017, 01:50 PM

Since I originally posted my comments over a year ago, I have acquired a inexpensive import Teton 12-fret parlor, and a 13-fret Blackbird Lucky 13 in 00 size. I still run out of room on the twelve fret when playing certain tunes, but not so much on the 13-fret. The Lucky has no neck heel, and I can easily reach up to the 17th fret, even without a cutaway.

I still gravitate toward 14 frets to the body in general, but I am trying to broaden my horizons......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion