The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgift View Post
Jeremiah, many many thanks. You'd think you could find this on the internet. You would be incorrect :-/

Again, I appreciate your help!
Well, hopefully now it will be on the internet.

I was planning on measuring it out for you tomorrow when mine shows up, I just don't have it yet.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:40 PM

Only 2 people try the SilverCreek Vintage Archtop Dread case? Anyone else have that much trouble with the smell? I have to have a case for my Cedar/Sapele OM. It has such a beautiful voice that I must protect it.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:45 PM

I have 3 of those cases, and while they do smell initially, it's certainly not a deal breaker and in my opinion there good cases for the price.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Jeremiah, I agree. But for the odor, it's a reasonable case, especially in view of the price. It's not as nice as the TKL case that came with my Martin, but that cost twice as much.

Thanks for posting the measurements when you can. I have a fan blowing on the Silver Creek case full blast, hoping to purge it of the chemical smell.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 09-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahB. View Post
I was actually editing my post when you were replying to add the measurements I remember. The only measurement I see with that case that may be a problem is the body length. Body length of mine was just a shade over 20" (20 3/16" to be exact).
I bet you're right. Darn!

Taylor 317

Old 09-12-2014, 03:00 PM

I ordered 4 Bedell guitars from Amazon on 9/10 thinking there was a good chance they could all be cancelled. The MB-18-G, TB-17-G, MHCE-17-G, and TBCE-28-G. All four originally said shipped but only two had tracking numbers. The MHCE-17-G and TBCE-28-G got cancelled but the other two shipped via FedEx and should be here next week. Anyone else get the TB-17-G red cedar over sapele dreadnought?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:22 PM

OK - turns out I was confusing some of the measurements with the TB-18G. OK - these are the measurements I have for the MB-18-G I received:

Depth at Tail Block - 4 3/4"
Depth at Neck Block - 3 13/16"
Depth at Waist - 4 3/16"
Distance from Neck Block to Waist - 7"
Body Length - 19 7/8"
Entire Length - 40 1/8"
Waist - 9 3/8"
Width at Upper Bout - 11 1/4"
Width at Lower Bout - 15 7/16"
Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
OK - turns out I was confusing some of the measurements with the TB-18G. OK - these are the measurements I have for the MB-18-G I received:

Depth at Waist - 4 3/16"
Body Length - 19 7/8"
Entire Length - 40 1/8"
Waist - 9 3/8"
That's right in line with my MB-17-G.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:16 PM

First time poster here. Thanks for the OP and all the members valuable opinions in this thread. I am happy and frustrated at the same time. Happy as I did received my MB18G and TB18G, my incoming MCHE-17G, 52G Jumbo (Blemish). Frustrated in that my order for MG28G and MBAC18G being canceled by Samash and SamDayMusic respectively,particularly on the later which state that the reason for rejecting my order is that I show an incline to resale the guitar. I only order 2 of each as each of my previous order have blemishes on the guitar, so by doing so I might have a slightly better chance of getting a good one.
Pardon my venting. I am wondering if anyone use Elixir nano/poly web light on these bedell guitars and how does it fair with diadaro phospur light?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Depth at Waist - 4 3/16"
Body Length - 19 7/8"
Entire Length - 40 1/8"
Waist - 9 3/8"
Jeremiah, many many thanks for taking the time to do this. I really appreciate it!

How do you like this particular Bedell?

I stopped at a GC to look at cases. Nothing really good at all. They had some Road Runner cases but the latches were just rubbish and an exercise in frustration, and not worth what they cost. The best of the lot was a TKL (which came with my Martin). It's nice but they didn't have the right size. I am strongly considering ordering one online now that I have the measurements thanks to you. I am definitely returning the Silver Creek. Even if the odor dissipates, the fake velvet-like stuff feels scratchy and gross, and if I'm going to be keeping the guitar in it for decades (one hopes) than another 50-60 bucks is worth it. It has no "loft" for lack of a better word. Too bad, because the exterior/latches are really top drawer.

Taylor 317

Last edited by Wildgift; 09-12-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:59 PM

Default Excellent case

Hello again gang.

Decided that the MHCE-17-G is worth the price of a case today. After I put some medium/light gauge DR Rares on it I had my luthier do a set up which actually didn't involve too much tweaking so he only charged me half price.

After reading about the noxious fumes from the Silver Creek I decided to hit the local Guitar Denter to find a case.

Like everyone here has already reported, typical OM cases will not be large enough. I found a TKL case that fits the Bedell OM like a glove. The model number is A4363/BL. I assume the /BL just means black. The listed retail on the case is $110 USD.

Cheers!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Hello again gang.

Decided that the MHCE-17-G is worth the price of a case today. After I put some medium/light gauge DR Rares on it I had my luthier do a set up which actually didn't involve too much tweaking so he only charged me half price.

After reading about the noxious fumes from the Silver Creek I decided to hit the local Guitar Denter to find a case.

Like everyone here has already reported, typical OM cases will not be large enough. I found a TKL case that fits the Bedell OM like a glove. The model number is A4363/BL. I assume the /BL just means black. The listed retail on the case is $110 USD.

Cheers!!!
Gangsta, thanks very much!!! Is your MHCE-17-G the same size as the MB-18-G cutout notwithstanding? (alphabet soup here!). A quick google shows that that case can be had for 90 bucks or so and is for an Ibanez AF75, FWIW. I'll be very interested to hear if your MHCE is comparable in size to the MB, because I'll just end the search and be done with it. I'm very happy with my Martin TKL case. I'm assuming that this TKL isn't odoriforous, right?

According to the GC website, this TKL measures:
Upper bout: 12"
Lower bout: 16"
Length: 43"
Depth: 5.5

So: it <should> fit the MB-18:

Depth at Waist - 4 3/16"
Body Length - 19 7/8"
Entire Length - 40 1/8"
Waist - 9 3/8"
Width at Lower Bout - 15 7/16”

According to its website, my local GC has one. The guy there had no idea they had <any> TKLs, so I think the plan will be to wait for the guitar to arrive, call GC to confirm it's in stock and bring the MB to GC to check once and for all.

I'm exhausted.

Taylor 317

Last edited by Wildgift; 09-12-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Hello again gang.

Cheers!!!
I once received a guitar (Samick Ct5CE) in a case that smelled powerfully of coffee (I noticed this before I opened the case....). Turns out the guy I bought it from packed a bunch of coffee beans into the accessory compartment to kill that "chemical smell". Claimed that it helped absorb and cover the odors. All I ever smelled in that case thereafter was coffee.

I ground the beans, but they made lousy brew.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 09-12-2014, 09:01 PM

WildGift

I tried out the case with all three of the Bedell OMs that I acquired in the blowout and they are all a perfect snug fit. However, the case does have it's own smell. I would not describe it as chemical or unpleasant even. My guess is it is the smell of the material used to line the case. If they have one at your Guitar Denter check the smell for yourself. In my experience, wood that is kept properly humidified will retain its smell and eventually the smell of wood will dominate the case. If you sniff your guitar and smell mostly glue then it may be getting a bit too dry. Of course, if the guitar is kept in a smoking environment...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
I once received a guitar (Samick Ct5CE) in a case that smelled powerfully of coffee (I noticed this before I opened the case....). Turns out the guy I bought it from packed a bunch of coffee beans into the accessory compartment to kill that "chemical smell". Claimed that it helped absorb and cover the odors. All I ever smelled in that case thereafter was coffee.

I ground the beans, but they made lousy brew.
Too bold, with notes of phosphor, bone and tolex

Taylor 317

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
all solid, bedell