The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsmith44 View Post
Hello everyone,

I've seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQMtXDkF9q4 and I'm wondering which guitar was used for the rythm part. I would say a vintage Gibson, maybe not a J45 but something smaller like a L00. There might be some post production magic of course.

I'm asking because I'm chasing this specific dry sound that I find on a lot of americana recordings but I can't find anything in store (I'm a lefty, so vintage stuff is absolutely anywhere to be seen and there is never something above 500$ available in store).

I know a lot of you have tried a tremendous amount of guitars so i'll my luck here

Sounds like a L00 Gibson with a little compression

https://youtu.be/cuxmpnIPwAY?si=sXIf8XXQOu1GhaKB
000JR-10E Shawn Mendes
Old 05-16-2024, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Wow! Love it! Is that the axe?
Old 05-16-2024, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1231 View Post
Sounds like a L00 Gibson with a little compression

https://youtu.be/cuxmpnIPwAY?si=sXIf8XXQOu1GhaKB
Definitely. If my ears don't deceive me, a 1940 ebony with aftermarket Wavery tuners.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:24 PM

I would agree with those who said it sounds like a small guitar with dead strings… a la the posting referencing Jeff Tweedy.
His is a 1930’s 0-18 in this video clip.
Jay
Old 05-16-2024, 08:32 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Wow! Love it! Is that the axe?
That is the model that I understand Grady was known to play... I was just guessing that was what Grady used to record on El Paso. So my guess is steel strings...
Old 05-16-2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbound View Post
They likely got the sound of that guitar through post processing. Id venture a guess that its got both low and high pass filters, more so than you'd normally put on a guitar
Exactly, this recording could have been recorded on anything from a cheap Yamaha to an expensive Martin/Gibson of any size. With the right processors and microphones, you can dial in the sound you want regardless of which guitar you put in front and the sound on this track tells you that you are going for a modern sound, so it wouldn't matter if you used a vintage Gibson.
Old 05-17-2024, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Definitely. If my ears don't deceive me, a 1940 ebony with aftermarket Wavery tuners.
I diasagree strongly. They don't sound like replacement tuners to me...
Old 05-17-2024, 03:09 AM

Found this on Colbert, described as Spaghetti Western tone in another search writeup ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjOLvXTUHi4

Musician is indicated as Connor Sullivan. Here's a Rick Beato's quick take on another Shaboozey top 10 song. Funny, he hears Wonderwall.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/GxK-9CQCK84

Last edited by Jimbo00; 05-17-2024 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:28 AM

Anyone with some decent recording experience should be able to get this sound. They have high and low pass filters on the guitar EQ, so the guitar takes up only very specific frequencies in the middle. Its also pretty clear there's some compression going on, with specific attack and release times set to give it a smoother sound. They've likely used a dynamic EQ like soothe 2 as well, and this will help smooth the transients on the guitar.
Old 05-17-2024, 09:31 AM

Well, since the creators of this recording probably all have telephones, I'd just call and ask how the sound was reached.

THANK YOU for this link to a very interesting set of performances. There's talent out there everywhere, but sometimes it's hard to find.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:20 AM

Get a really good Parametric eq pedal and dial in the sound as sound shaping with a parametric EQ takes on another level of precise. I would say not much boost but cuts to keep a more natural un colored sound.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

This guitar comes close, imo. If nothing else, a tutorial on how to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OopSoWoO9rc
Old 05-18-2024, 09:30 AM

It sounds to me like an all mahogany 000 or 00 size guitar that is just naturally very warm sounding, with slightly old strings on it. Part of the key of that sound is the player, his attack on the strings, and where in relation to the soundhole he is strumming. I don't feel like I hear all that much processing on the recording of that guitar, and I have heard many guitars that have that basic sound to them., especially when they have older strings on them where all the brightness, snap and sizzle has worn off of them.

Maybe you can contact him and find out what was used, or reach out to his fan base/fan club if he has one, and ask them.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 05-18-2024, 09:42 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

I agree, duff. The question wasn't about how to get that sound during recording, mixing, or mastering. The question was about finding a guitar with that inherent sound.

Many of us seem to agree on the type of guitar that you'd want to look for to try and get a similar sound. Finding said guitar they plays good, sounds good, and fits within the budget is the hard part.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:46 AM

Tim,

The danger of chasing someone else's sound is that, 1) it's impossible and, 2) it's never ending. Find a guitar you love, love..... love to play and get intimate with it. Know where to strum, what strings to use, what pick (or not) to play with..... to get the sound you want. No one on any forum can tell you (as you've seen) what guitar or strings will give YOU a particular sound. You may have to learn new playing, damping, muting, picking, strumming.... techniques but, in the end, it will be a rewarding payoff. and........IT WON'T HAPPEN QUICKLY. Be content on the journey.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion