The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-25-2023, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

A well-known concert guitarist I studied with briefly decades ago said some pieces he would work with for months before he felt concert ready.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-26-2023, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think all of us, except perhaps the most gifted among us, feel this to some extent.

I tend to get to a point and then just start playing it my way and not worry about getting all the hammer ons and pull offs and slides exactly the way someone is teaching it or was originally played. Who cares anyway? If it sounds good and you still like it, do you really think anyone is going to notice you did not do that pull off in the 3rd bar on the fourth beat? Life is too short.

Amen to this!

Mixing up those slides pull offs and hammer ons each time you play the song keeps it 'alive' and makes it your own.

Took me a while to realise this!
Old 08-26-2023, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I have, at best, average musical ability but I love learning and playing new songs. If it’s a basic pop tune, say most Tom Petty stuff, it’s not so much learning it as it’s just looking up the chords, then playing it.

But, if it’s a more complex fingerstyle song, Windy and Warm for example, by the time I work it out and get it up to speed, I’m a bit sick of it and lose any interest in playing it. lol

Anyone else experience this?
Just finished reading "Atomic Habits" by James Clear, and highly recommend it, as it is much more than the name implies, and most if not all applies to guitar playing.

He points out that no matter WHAT the field, the greats became great in large part because they overcame the boredom, where most of us get diverted or just plain give up when the rewards of our effort slow down or stall. The greats work through the boredom and reach levels most of us don't. That applies on large scales, and small, just the same.

I try to remember that, and power through the low times to get back to the highs. It usually works.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 08-28-2023, 11:32 AM

Same « issue » as stand up comic : Do not find the joke so funny when ready to perform.

Look at the smile(s) when you play before someone else.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:58 PM

Just think how the pros feel.

I heard James Taylor talking about performing Fire and Rain. The interviewer asked him how he continues to play that song (can you imagine how many times he’s played it?). He said that he just starts playing it and then the audience begins to react and it’s that response that keeps it going for him. He said he sometimes gets goosebumps from the audience’s involvement in the song.

So, once you learn the song well enough to get bored with it, share it with others and feed off of their reaction.

Roger

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write