The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghostwriter View Post
...over time, maybe subconsciously, your technique in playing that song starts to drift until one day you realize you have a bad habit that's hard to correct.
That's called developing your style.

I was just going through some videos of a piece I'm working on -- one I know pretty well by now -- and I'll be darned -- none of those guys were doing it correctly -- not even the guy who wrote it.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

Regarding "bad habits," many people here on the AGF and elsewhere take the approach that if you learn something "wrong" that you somehow permanently imprint onto your playing style this bad habit that can never be removed or changed. In my own playing experience I have found that I have corrected various improper playing approaches when I felt like I needed to change. It's just a matter of making up my mind, drawing a line in the sand, and saying, from now on I'm doing it this new way.

Glenn
Agreed. I've broken so many bad habits over time, or replaced them with other bad habits, that I'm getting good at it. Either that, or breaking bad habits is easier than thought. Breaking a bad habit is just the same as learning something new. You break it by learning the new way.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 06-22-2022, 04:03 PM

I do this often. Somewhere along the way I start to deviate from the original song and have to revisit the transcript or tutorial. Then I have that ah..ha moment when I see where I went astray. I find that this is how I learn most songs. The more difficult the song, the more I have to go back and clean it up.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufjbn View Post
Paul McCartney has never sought my opinion on how to perform "Yesterday" properly. Why should I let him restrict the way I play it?
This pretty much sums it up for me as well. In my opinion, I improve every song I cover.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Yes, but since joining the AGF I've learned to call it "making it my own"
Bob, I want to thank you for this public service post, which I also endorse
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 06-22-2022, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile Interesting question

I am not sure if I even care what is “proper”…
All my fave artists do any covers their own way. Check out any cover by Willie Nelson!
Which version of Over the Rainbow is the proper one?
Besides, how do I feel at the moment I am playing a song, and who am I playing to?
Now I would be happy if I could just remember a few more of my “lost” originals…. Hahaha
To quote Duke Ellington again, “when it sounds good, it IS good.

Carry on and tune up often

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 06-22-2022, 05:32 PM

When ever I learn a song, I go back and listen to it again after three or four weeks. I'm always surprised to hear details come out that I didn't hear the first time.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:02 AM

I've been working on Miss John Hurt's THAT LONESOME VALLEY quite awhile as a way to develop that alternating thumb. When I get to the end I want to vamp almost incessantly just because I can, a habit I have to get rid of before I next play which my must partner because I am absolutely sure it would drive him nuts.
Old 06-23-2022, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Yes, but since joining the AGF I've learned to call it "making it my own"
Agreed, there was a time , it seems not so long ago. When I would toil over trying to emulate the record as closely as possible.

Today, I go out of my way to play things My Way.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
Bob, I want to thank you for this public service post, which I also endorse
Thanks Coler, my pleasure! Some of my favorite artists don't play their own tunes the way they recorded them, so who am I to chase perfection

Obviously, this can be taken to an extreme (see, Dylan, Bob), but at its core most of what I like has its roots in folk music --which develops organically over time, so our changes (aka hacks, work arounds, mistakes ) are just part of the evolution

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 06-23-2022, 07:25 AM

I've heard some people on forums complain about 'improper' renderings of the Star-Spangled Banner at big sporting events. It seems that some have stricter standards of propriety in this instance than they do in others. There's also that moment when Dick Cavett famously asked Jimi Hendrix to explain his 'unorthodox' (Cavett's word) version of the song at Woodstock.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:52 AM

I have always held that I am not a jukebox. If my listeners insist upon a note-perfect reproduction of a popular song, let them play the recording. I have often heard recording artists play their own hits differently from the recordings which made them famous.

I guess I always “make them my own.”
Old 06-23-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Agreed, there was a time , it seems not so long ago. When I would toil over trying to emulate the record as closely as possible.

Today, I go out of my way to play things My Way.
Unless you are in a tribute band this is the way to go, imo. It's already been done the other way, your version might be better! With solo guitar (or guitar and vocal) it really can't be exactly what was recorded in most cases anyway.

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 06-23-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghostwriter View Post
Say you learn a song well, and then over time, maybe subconsciously, your technique in playing that song starts to drift until one day you realize you have a bad habit that's hard to correct. Asking for a friend
Yes, more than once or twice or ….
And not only. It happens in our band as well. Some songs are great at the beginning, then we get sloppy and the songs don’t work anymore.

You can let your friend know that!
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 06-23-2022, 08:54 AM

Fingerstyle blues is my thing. There's no "properly". Most of the stuff has been played hundreds of different ways by hundreds of different players. That's what I like about it.

I

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion