The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-07-2022, 11:38 AM

Good save, I would have grabbed that as well.
Old 04-07-2022, 11:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

It almost looks like there is the same pattern inside the guitar as outside, if that is solid BRW, I nominate this the find of the year!!! I think you might have something there if it can be rebuilt. Good luck with that.
Clifford
Old 04-07-2022, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
It almost looks like there is the same pattern inside the guitar as outside, if that is solid BRW, I nominate this the find of the year!!!
Clifford
And you read it here first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
While BRW has become some sort of inaccessible Holy Grail to most of the guitar buying world, Brazilian companies would have ready access to the stuff. I'll stand by it being BRW if that is in fact a Giannini...
Old 04-07-2022, 02:20 PM

I'm not seeing the same grain pattern but if it's a laminate rosewood guitar that's fine too and will be fun to try and restore.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:07 PM

I'm not seeing the same grain pattern inside either, so probably a laminate. The outside grain pattern is also too figured and in random directions, so I'm not sure I would put in the effort to make a guitar with this box when new EIR is not very expensive, can be worked much easier, and would likely result in a better-sounding guitar.

BRW prices are because of the scarcity - not tone. At least it's not been my experience that BRW always sounds better than EIR when comparing guitars made by the same builder.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:29 PM

That back is probably a laminate combination of Brw on the outside and Imbuia on the inside. Who knows what's in the middle. Since the top is off, you can see if the sided are laminated by looking at the top edge of a side.

Might be solid sides and laminated back.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I would have picked that up too from the trash, even if it didn't have a top... and welcome to the AGF Rich.

Same here. In fact, I have. Absolutely almost unplayable classical guitar I brought home from a move out on the road my work was located. Cleaned it a bit, then taped up the sound hole. My 2 year old was very proud of it and dragged it by the strings everywhere.

It’s now buttoned to the ceiling in my garage with some others that are better appreciated up there.
Old 04-09-2022, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

It looks like Brazilian walnut, to me?

Don

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion