The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Great thread! Like TB and many of you, I prefer the comfort of a smaller guitar but still want to feel that resonance when I play. My recently acquired Northwood R80 OM Deep Body is (for me) "just what the doctor ordered".

All the Best!
Old 02-10-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

…..why not embrace something you’re not used to ….I think if you’re used to larger bodied big sounding guitars… owning something with a significantly different voice is worth considering….I find that having those different voices to work with is stimulating and its. delightful to play the same tunes on something different….

…..I think you should consider an even smaller than OM/000 sized guitar……for more contrast… some OM’s and 000’s can sound pretty darn big….but the smaller you go the less important overall volume and hugeness become….for me…the tone becomes even more important with a smaller guitar…..

….for myself I like to own one big guitar…..one medium sized guitar…..and one small guitar…..most of my repertoire gets played on all three of them at some time or another…..

…of course you could use an OM as a gateway to small bodies….I reckon that’s what I did about 25 years ago…

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-11-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:07 PM

I played a Collings 000-2H today as well as a Martin 000-28VS. If I had the cash, I’d be tickled pink with either. Phenomenal guitars. (Lowe Vintage has both if anyone is interested). Both are traditional 000 shaped (12 fret necks, longer body). They lacked nothing in the bass department to my ears.

I am exclusively an OM player now, and I love both, long or short scale. But my ears aren’t yours. I know they don’t have the bass of a jumbo, but they suited me wonderfully.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:24 PM

I believe a 12 fret and Adirondack tops can add to the bass response. YMMV

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 02-10-2022, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
The only reason I still own a dread is that an 000 really isn't going to produce the big sound. I own an 000 regardless because: (1) I don't always want/need the big sound; (2) the 000 is more playable than the dread; (3) the 000 fits in better with one of the ensembles with which I play.

But don't kid yourself; if you want the big sound, you need a big guitar. Otherwise, we'd all be playing parlors.
Yep, this is why we have multiple guitars.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-10-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Barry I have a Stephen Kinnaird Deep Body OM consigned to Will at Lowe Vintage if you have any interest...
https://lowevintage.com/item/guitars.../deep-body-om/

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-10-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I bet deep bodied OM and 000 would give me that sustain and volume I'm used to.
You guys are talking some big-league guitars that are beyond my experience. However, I do have a very deep bodied OM in a Yamaha that's my main player.

You may have seen me post that I think it sounds more like a bit better balanced, scaled version of a dread than traditional OM/000. You do get something that hints of the corresponding dread in similar tone woods. Maybe in the same ballpark but not quite out of the dugout so to speak.

In my opinion, there will be times you are going to want the big guy. I still find myself preferring the sound of a dread occasionally even on some fingerstyle works. In fact, I am looking to add another to complement the deeper OM.

Enjoy exploring what's out there. I know there's great sound in what's been mentioned.

Best,

Mac
Old 02-10-2022, 09:08 PM

A Goodall Grand Concert or OM will give you great sustain and volume, and both offer a lot of bass for a smaller sized guitar.

Both Santa Cruz OM’s and Collings OM’s will give you a lot of volume and sustain. If you compare it to a larger guitar, you may notice a loss of some bass, especially if you do back-to- back comparison. But if you just pick up an OM and don’t have some other larger guitar sound freshly in mind, they may sound ideally balanced and wonderful.

I have two jumbos: a Webber (which is more of a small jumbo size), and a. collings CJ-35. The Webber sounds pretty nicely balanced and is great for fingerpicking. The OM’s sound different than the Webber, but they dont sound anemic or “thin” compared to the Webber, and they are actually louder than the Webber. But the CJ35 is BIG and bold and has a rumbling thumpy bass that is impressive…the OM’s dont have anything like that.

Still, I actually prefer the sound of OM’s for solo fingerpicking. The solid thump of a dread and the deep bass of most jumbos are fun, and these larger guitars are what I usually reach for if I am jamming, but the balance and sparkle of an OM is VERY appealing for solo fingerstyle
Old 02-10-2022, 10:01 PM

Hey Barry! Some great advice given here.....I'll add in possibly a Bourgeois JOM (Jumbo OM).....these are guitars that seem to bring the "best of both" if you will. Lower bout is 15.5", and depth I think in the 4.5-4.6" range. While I've not seen too much cedar with these, Dana does quite a bit with redwood.

My own range is right at those specs, realizing over the years that anything too much larger is less of a good fit.
If you look into anything with an arm bevel, this can improve comfort on the larger or mid size lower bout.
Also, be sure if you look at 12 fret models that you find some to play. The shorter distance at the neck may cause you to adjust your playing hand position or the neck angle to get your desired tone if you've been used to 14 fret guitars for a long time.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 02-10-2022, 10:17 PM

Goodall TROM
Old 02-10-2022, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

I really like the dimensions of my Larrivee SD40. Nicely positioned between an OM and dread. They also make the fancier SD50 & 60.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 02-10-2022, 11:37 PM

Hi Barry. That Kinnaird would be a great buy; it is really well priced!

The Goodall suggestions above are worth looking into seriously if you don't want to buy used; I think you would sound really good on one. Matt at Eddie's Guitars is a great guy. Perhaps get in touch with him? They have this sitka/eir grand concert (OM size - 15" wide lower bout and 4.25" deep iirc) --

Link to photos etc.

Last edited by SingingSparrow; 02-11-2022 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:06 AM
Charter Member

You might want to check out a Larrivee “L” model. 4.75” depth. I believe he designed it pretty much for what you describe. Very popular, love my L-09.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:03 AM

My Larrivée OM-09 and Martin OODB sound great.
My Guild F-30 and Martin OOO-18 too.
Do they match my Taylor 510 (dread) : not so sure.
But, to me, it was a matter of comfort.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:13 AM

If you've never played a deep body OM, I highly advise you try before you buy. I was in a similar boat to you but came from the opposite direction, I had a bunch of OMs and stayed away from Ds due to their size being a little challenging for my frame. I too thought "hey deep body OMs will give my OM sound with near D volume".

Admittedly I only played a few deep bodied OMs as there aren't many out there, I tried two SCGC OMGs and one Martin 0000. I found both to be closer in volume to an OM than a D, and while yes they provided a little bit deeper/fuller bass and a smidge more volume, I found the three examples I played lost quite a bit of the clarity and note-to-note separation that the best OMs give. So I ended up not buying any of them.

Much later, I came across the SCGC 1934D which is a D body...but a tad shallower than Martin's traditional D dimensions. That gave me more of what I was looking for which was overall volume at/near a full D while the craftsmanship and tonewoods gave me the sound signature I was looking for.

I know OMG/0000 guitars have their fans, but to me, they weren't the "happy medium between an OM and a D" that I was looking for. They may be for you, but you'd only know if you try one out.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion