The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Pono makes a nice looking guitar. Congrats!

Bugles of the King's Musketeers:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHBone View Post
I love that wood combo...although I've only owned it in nylon string (cordoba). I bet it sounds lush. Congrats. I've never played a pono before...sure looks pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Pono makes a nice looking guitar. Congrats!
Thanks guys! John- It is very lush, it makes it fun to take the same piece of music and play it on englemann, sitka or cedar; and hear all of the differences/subtitles, not to mention the coloring of the back and sides paired with it.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:02 AM

That's a beauty! Congrats.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

What a classy looking guitar, Christopher! Great pics, and I like the group shot too!
Old 05-14-2017, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have a cedar/rosewood 00 that I love. It is not a Pono but I have a Pono parlor so I know the quality of those guitars. Congrats!

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-14-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post

How do you like your Pono UL-40SP - Englemann/Ebony? Can you even get them anymore?
????........
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Old 05-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
????........
Sorry, missed your post. I really like the UL-40, it adds a whole new sound to your guitar stable - great for song writing, adds a different dynamic to playing with other guitarists, and doubles as a great travel guitar. The englemann/ebony combo sounds great, I currently have it strung up with D'addario silk and steels. I'm also a big fan of the 1 3/4 nut & 2 1/4 strings spacing - it feels and plays like the other guitars in my stable. As far as if they're still available, I know Pono still makes the Terz models (a cedar/hog model was in the classifiesds not too long ago) but not sure if they will have the ebony or abalone available. I would contact John or Daniel via phone or email and just ask - hope this helps!
Old 05-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
Briluster- Pono's definitely have a signature tone, but I would agree with others here that they don't necessarily sound like Martins, Gibsons, Taylors or Guilds. I would say in general they sound more modern than traditional, and as far as overtones - that depends on the wood combo. The mahogany models I have are really woody/warm sounding, the rosewoods are very lush/bell like and the ebonies are somewhere in between but very defined.

I love having the picking variety, though I've been playing for just over 20 years, I'm still figuring out what body sizes, 12 or 14 fret, scale lengths, etc. that I like. So having this particular selection of great guitars is quite fun. I've been restringing all of the ladies this weekend, and going all phosphor bronze (tried some aluminum bronze on a couple previously which I liked), and setting up a couple in various tunings though mostly standard.

Thanks for your comment!
Congratulations! That is my end-game folk guitar, a Pono. I see that you have a lot of them. Thanks for the info on the sound. I have listened to a lot of youtube, but your opinion helps as well.

Did you buy them all online? Or did you travel to get yours? I am a little nervous about buying one without trying it.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:31 PM

First of all to Acousticjazz-Congratulations! That is a sweet looking guitar. I hope you enjoy that for a long time.

Quote:
Did you buy them all online? Or did you travel to get yours? I am a little nervous about buying one without trying it.
I was with the first Pono as well, but there's no need to be nervous about them at all. They really are wonderful guitars to play, just lots of fun. They sound just like the videos you've seen/heard in person.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticjazz View Post
Sorry, missed your post. I really like the UL-40, it adds a whole new sound to your guitar stable - great for song writing, adds a different dynamic to playing with other guitarists, and doubles as a great travel guitar. The englemann/ebony combo sounds great, I currently have it strung up with D'addario silk and steels. I'm also a big fan of the 1 3/4 nut & 2 1/4 strings spacing - it feels and plays like the other guitars in my stable. As far as if they're still available, I know Pono still makes the Terz models (a cedar/hog model was in the classifiesds not too long ago) but not sure if they will have the ebony or abalone available. I would contact John or Daniel via phone or email and just ask - hope this helps!
Great, thank you!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Old 05-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar. Beautiful! And that's quite a collection too. Enjoy!
Old 05-14-2017, 07:07 PM

Beautiful guitar. Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great, thank you!
Everyone that has one loves them. I've been following our members' posts about them for a couple of years. I don't like some of the "marketing" I've seen, but I don't hold that against the product. I've watched and listened to a lot of videos and sound clips of them and they sound excellent, as much as I can tell over the internet.

Bugles of the King's Musketeers:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

No more rosewood Ponos? My brace of OP Ponos, a six and a twelve string, while not being my major players, fill a nice niche in my collection and are very well built. The materials and build quality are first rate. Both are rosewood/engelman.

They are fantastic country blues and ragtime guitars. I really did not expect that.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion