The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You could always put it toward another place to live?
You beat me to the punch !
Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Martin 000-42

Martin 00028EC Clapton Signature
Martin D18 Retro
Gibson J45 Custom
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster Ltd Relic Esquire
Fender Custom Shop Eric Clapton Strat
Fender American Professional Strat
Breedlove Pursuit Nylon
Taylor Big Baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taylor Big Baby

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Old 03-18-2017, 11:37 AM

First - have you changed your Facebook status? Next, this is really a personal purchase and you have narrowed it down to a few great guitars. You don't state where you are but, as someone already stated above, I would take a weekend road-trip to play as many of the models you are interested in. To me you can't go wrong with almost any 000/OM-28, 000-18 especially the new 000-18's which are spectacular.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahurst2001 View Post
So I recently got divorced and she had to buy me out on our house. This will most likely be the last time I will have a significant enough amount of $$ that I can put a little extra towards a guitar and have enough to put into savings, that I wont have buyers remorse. I also figure I deserve to get something positive out of the marriage, other than my son, of course.

I am a flatpicker and have a Martin D-18V that I rarely touch.... why you ask? Because I am lucky if i get to play with others once or twice a year. Last year I decided I wanted a smaller body guitar and picked up a Larrivee OM40-RW, which I think is a pretty sweet guitar at its price point. As I mentioned, this will probably be my last opportunity to upgrade.

So..... I am debating another OM or maybe going down to the shorter scale 000 for comfort. Keep in mind I do 99% of my playing alone on the couch. I have the D18V if I ever need something that can hang with a larger crowd or compete with banjos and mandos. Unfortunately there are no 000 currently in my town for me to demo. For those of you that have both an OM and 000 or at least experience between the two, do you notice a major difference switching between the two scale sizes? I definitely require some adjustment time switching between the different nut sizes, so I assume I will notice the scale difference, but how drastic does it feel? I suppose if i did go with a 000, it would be my primary guitar and that scale length would become the new norm. Anyone out there who flatpicks a 000, let me know your thoughts? Do you notice a significant comfort difference between the 25.5 and 24.9? I am getting older and every little bit helps.

Specs in consideration.... None are 100% necessary but have to start somewhere with decision making.

1. V neck, or similar modified version ( I like the neck on my D18V much more than the low oval on the Larrivee)

2. Adi top (never played one but I believe most would consider it an upgrade from Stika)

3. Possibly a more exotic Rosewood. Cocobolo would be the front runner. I have never played a cocobolo guitar. This is all based on reviews, recommendations, and looks

Here is a quick list of guitars I am considering as of now.

1. Martin 000-14 Cocobolo with Swiss Alpine Spruce top (24.9 scale length) - $3000

2. Martin OM-28 Marquis (USED) -has v neck, adi top, and GE bracking, i believe. - $3100

3. Martin OM-28V Cocobolo Custom Set - From Maurys. I am no familiar with Maurys. from what I can tell they speced out a handful of this model specifically for sale on their site. It has the Modified V, although the neck material is listed as select hard wood, which i find odd they wouldnt spec out a custom 28V with out a mahogany neck? - $4,200, which is pushing out of my range.

4. Martin OM-28 Custom shop with Adi top upgrade - $3000

5. Standard OM-28.

I would say my budget is around $3000.

So there you have it folks.... I would appreciate any feedback, input, recommendations, words of encouragement.... ha! Help me sort out some of my questions. Give me some feedback on the guitars I am currently considering. Offer up a different model I have not thought of? Help me find a good Divorce Celebration Guitar!!

Thanks to all who took the time to read this novel of a post!!
Just sent you a PM. :-)
Old 03-18-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #GoKingsGo View Post
Martin 000-42, Martin 00028EC Clapton Signature ......... Taylor Big Baby...
How do you jump from the first two to the last? Just asking from a budget aspect nothing else suggested.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 03-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:48 PM

The new Taylors are really impressive to me! You may want to pick up an 814-DLX. Has an armrest and bracing of the 900 series (I know some other minor differences), but without the crazy bling.

Also, the Private Stock PRS Angelus are supposed to be amazing, and you can find a few used ones in that price range.

Good luck in your search, it's like a black hole with that money haha. I'd say check out Carbon Fiber as well, (I really liked the Composite Acoustics GX). As well as random brands you have heard about. (ie. Stonebridge or the like). Enjoy the search!
Old 03-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Martin View Post
Of the ones you're considering I'd go with

1. Martin 000-14 Cocobolo with Swiss Alpine Spruce top (24.9 scale length) - $3000
That'll work!
Old 03-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
1. I notice a difference between short and long scale but don't have trouble switching. It's not the reach but the tension and the tone.

3. Are you dead set on a Martin? And are you set on buying new? Your budget could bring you something used from Collings, Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton. . . . I'm not saying those are better, just that there are other options.
Can you elaborate on the tension and tone? I know the tension is less. did you find it more comfortable? do you flatpick or finger? I have a Taylor GS mini and the scale length is drastic to a standard. I cant deal with it. I figure the OM and 000 is minimal enough that it wouldnt bother me and I would love easier work on my fretting hand. How would you describe the tone variation?

I am not dead set on martin. I just have one and the models so its easier for me to search around and know how the specs vary between the different levels of a given model. There is no way for me to get my hand on any of the smaller shop guitars to even know where to begin. All I have seen online used are still a good little price jump.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
That'll work!
still never played a 000. trying to find one locally to see how the shorter scale feels. Also never played a coco before. My interest is all on reading, recommendation and just how nice it looks. For the same price the OM28 marquis seems pretty hard to pass by though.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:14 PM

You desire short scale comfort? Then you've got to try a Yamaha f310.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM

With your proclivity for Martins, your just-cause, and your enviable budget, you should call up Jon at My Favorite Guitars and see how far your grudge might take you.

There never was a law firm named "My Favorite Divorce Attorneys."

Greg Rappleye
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM

From your choices I'd pick Martin OM-28 Marquis - a really nice guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Depends if you are on the "buy it once and be done" or the "buy several guitars until you work your way to the top of the food chain"

I subscribe to "be patient, buy it once and move on to the next high end guitar.

To each their own. For me, the 000-42 is next

Martin 00028EC Clapton Signature
Martin D18 Retro
Gibson J45 Custom
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster Ltd Relic Esquire
Fender Custom Shop Eric Clapton Strat
Fender American Professional Strat
Breedlove Pursuit Nylon
Taylor Big Baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Taylor Big Baby

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Old 03-18-2017, 02:59 PM

A custom might be in order. Lots of good forum sponsors to work with.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
As I'm sure your aware, Murphy has a way of knocking on the door at 3 AM when you've got a nasty hangover and Montezuma just came to the party ; I've seen a couple old buds go through some really ugly crap down the line, just when they thought it was long since over and their lawyers had dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's - and since you've got a couple nice guitars already I'd keep the GAS in check and hang on for a while, until you're absolutely sure...
we wrote our own divorce papers and are on good terms. im sure there will always be need for more money. why i said I could spare a grand or two and sitll have plenty to put away for down the line.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion