The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-23-2003, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crowdedstr

on a side note, does anyone think the church in the gravedigger video looks a lot like the one that slash was soloing in front of during the november rain video???

i've not seen the november rain video for ages, so i can't decide whether or not i think it's the same church. i wanna say the gnr church was not as wide, but they look darn similar to me
Same here! I was thinkin Dave was about to put a tophat on and some leather pants, grab a les paul and go fer it!!

2003 314CE
2001 Gibson Les Paul
2000 Gibson Explorer
2000 Fender Stratocaster USA Std.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:18 PM

I'd wish he'd settle on one dang guitar...grrrrr....my wallet can't keep up with him
Old 09-23-2003, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by twostep
Same here! I was thinkin Dave was about to put a tophat on and some leather pants, grab a les paul and go fer it!!
ok, so i'm not crazy.......

just got done with my first listen thru the cd. i like it so far. a few tracks that i didn't care all that much for, but i always have to listen to dmb material pretty heavily before i can really form opinions. i mean, hell, i didn't like crowded streets when i first heard it

of course it grew and grew on me, and still to this day, i can't get enough of it!
Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 09-23-2003, 09:46 PM

I'm still waiting for mine. What the F***! I could've bought it at Best Buy for $9.99, Darn it. I better win that autographed thingy with my preorder.
Martin DM3MD (122 of 234)
Old 09-24-2003, 05:12 AM

It's a quite nice cd, although it's a whole lot different than I expected. The songs with the whole orchestra sounds cool! I allready had it last week
Old 09-24-2003, 06:21 AM

i seriously think this cd is best dave has put out since crash. i like songs 10 and 11. its a newness that he really needed. i hope some of these new ideas trickle over into the whole band and they try some new things as well and quit putting out the same stuff over and over again.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:25 AM

Another successful recording session for Dave and friends. Great tunes! I love it! Thanks Dave and friends too!!!

You'll need to check this CD out if your thinking about picking it up. Not too exciting for the guitar virtuoso but Dave's melodies are awesome and he's a lyrical genius.

Pick up Some Devil and you won't regret it.

Peace,

'02 301-GB
'02 314ce
'91 Gibson SG Celebrity
Old 09-24-2003, 08:44 AM

Listening to it now.....different for sure.

I'm enjoying it so far.

Old 09-24-2003, 09:10 AM

Ok, so can anyone tell me the whole "solo" thing? I mean, the band was already called Dave Matthews, and he is not really solo on this one. Plus, he got rid of some of the best musicians in the business, and got some other ones(that are still good). Whats the point? I love DMB, i just don't get it.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian 710CE
Ok, so can anyone tell me the whole "solo" thing? I mean, the band was already called Dave Matthews, and he is not really solo on this one. Plus, he got rid of some of the best musicians in the business, and got some other ones(that are still good). Whats the point? I love DMB, i just don't get it.
the band that is usually assosiated with dave matthews is not the backing band or influencing this cd. just his ideas coupled with guests. take for example your not hearing the typical sax and fiddle. i dont know if carter is doing any of the drum work on this or not.

big difference between solo and acoustic.
if you want an acoustic album go for the live at luther album with tim or pop in the free additional cd that comes with the some devil cd.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:19 PM

hey, thanks for the answer. However, i didn't ask what the difference was between solo and acoustic. It just still seems wierd that he wouldn't have his other musicians with him. Oh well.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:23 PM

Quote:
hey, thanks for the answer. However, i didn't ask what the difference was between solo and acoustic. It just still seems wierd that he wouldn't have his other musicians with him. Oh well.
Dave's answer to this question was that he felt several of the songs on this album would not mesh well with the sound of the entire original band.

I think I have to agree......I'm not sure how some of these would sound with fiddle and sax....and hardcore drums.

They do, however, sound AMAZING with Trey, Tim and family.

Some of the electric guitar licks Trey throws in there are great.....you really hear the Phish influence in some of the songs. And in my opinion they sound VERY good.

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 09-24-2003, 12:42 PM

Quote:
It just still seems wierd that he wouldn't have his other musicians with him. Oh well.
After eating New York Super Fudge Chunk ice cream day in and day out, sometimes it's nice to have a little vanilla.... or put it another way, even the best can develop a sameness, and you just want to do something different for a bit.

At least that's what Bill told me when he was explaining the whole Monica thing....

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 09-24-2003, 01:27 PM

Quote:

i didnt mean it like that. i was just saying that those choices would be something to go for if you were looking for a real solo acoustic sound. sorry to offend.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:53 PM

no offense taken, i was just unsure what you were talking about. Thanks for the info!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification