The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I am always torn on how rigorous to get into a response and this is one time I guess I should have clarified more.
Hi Frank...

I've never been accused of being too brief, and this is a discussion forum not a Guitar Wiki site. I love discussions, details, ideas, theories and interaction.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Maybe if JT didn't use crappy guitars.

Wonder if he ever tried the Buzz Feiten system?

Also, check out sweetened tunings on Peterson and other high end tuners.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Maybe if JT didn't use crappy guitars.

Wonder if he ever tried the Buzz Feiten system?

Also, check out sweetened tunings on Peterson and other high end tuners.
Hi David...
Since the feiten system adjusts the nut (so does Ervana system) as well as the saddle, what does it help when you apply a capo?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-06-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Since I don't (yet) have an electronic tuner of any kind, are there any affordable small (clip-on or similar) tuners that have this "minute" calibration capability? I fear that I remain old school: by pitch pipe and/or ear against sample sounds online. I've used a clip-on tuner belonging to a guitar shop only once, and don't recall it having that kind of fine tune feature...just a color change when it gets in range of accurate tuning.

Thanks,

Dirk
If you have an iPhone, the app, Guitar Toolkit, from Agile Partners indicates the degree to which a note is off in cents. Its price is $10 and it offers other useful features such as a chord dictionary that plays the notes of the chord in unison or individually and a metronome.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM

I always tune to G E F B G ("good enough for bluegrass")

Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I think a lot of James approach is based upon expected use of a capo. After all, why tune ALL the strings flat if not to account for the capo stretch. One, at least should be on.

I tune to exact pitch, maybe cranking down the B a little to ear (the Snark still says it's on), and think I sound just fine, even when I capo 2 or 3.

But I don't have an Olson, just a lowly Lowden and Martin.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:11 PM

I've always tuned my B slightly flat, as well as my low E. That's how far I went and will go.
Maybe it'll matter more if I had a better guitar someday.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM

Just wanted to say this is a great subject.
'09 Taylor T3
'09 414ce Fall LTD
'10 GT-6
'11 GS-8

My Fenders:
'13 Fender/Roland GC-1 (Roland-Ready Fender Stratocaster)
...and an '82 Lead II that I just can't part with.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM

I suspect that the degree to which James Taylor's approach to tuning works depends on the idiosyncrasies of each individual guitar and one's specific technique. I haven't tried it yet but it is difficult to believe that my guitars would sound in tune if detuned that much.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Saguache....

It's pretty easy to fudge the Snark by watching how closely the note if bumping the green from either the sharp or flat side, and by seeing where the note settles after it vibrates a few seconds.

I also have Peterson tuners which read out in cents; but effective tuning is always a matter of listening and tweaking. And it changes with capos and playing in ensemble with people with variable instruments (about anything other than an electronic keyboard is variable).

Hey Larry, that's been my routine with the Snark, watch the dial then listen for what sounds right to my ear.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM

I tried this yesterday. In G, the tuning worked. In E, though, the guitar sounded a bit off.

The tips from James Taylor didn't sound too odd to me. From other guitar players I know, one told me that he tunes his B slightly flat and the other tunes his low E slightly flat.

I used to play at Mass using an Alvarez RD8 that always seemed off after using a pedal tuner (could have been the tuner I was using). I tried both the flattened B and the flattened E and it didn't fix the issue. The tempered tuning method on Kevin Ryan's website worked better for me.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:37 AM

I just live with the fact that when tuned properly certain chords don't sound good as others. I adjust tuning for the song I'm playing.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I suspect that the degree to which James Taylor's approach to tuning works depends on the idiosyncrasies of each individual guitar and one's specific technique. I haven't tried it yet but it is difficult to believe that my guitars would sound in tune if detuned that much.
What I was thinking. I do keep my low E a bit flat (due to an intonation issue) and I have to balance the D against the G a bit but couldn't tell you what I'm doing there. Definitely think it works on a guitar by guitar basis.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
I've always tuned my B slightly flat, as well as my low E. That's how far I went and will go.
Maybe it'll matter more if I had a better guitar someday.
My taylor 414 needs to have the B string a little flat or "D" note fretted 3 spaces up is too sharp according to my ear and a tuner. I play a lot in the key of D and it happens even if I fret carefully.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Very cool stuff you kind of know but have never put numbers to. Always lower my bass E to make up for the sharpness when fretted on a G chord. Guess when you play for a living you figure out a system. Very cool. Now if I only had his Olson. Maybe its just that crapy guitar that just cant hold pitch. Steve
Agreed, I always tune the low E note flat because of the G fret and the B note flat as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion