The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 02:48 PM

The abalone inlays would be considered an upgrade over the simple dot inlays by most, but the relative aesthetic value of each is a subjective individual preference. If you don't like the inlays, then return the guitar and find one that has the style of inlay that you prefer.

Personally, I prefer the abalone inlays, and was especially fond of them on the Collings D2H that I once owned which is pictured below.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-13-2021, 05:34 PM

I am a “no bling” kind of guy. I much prefer a D-18 to a D-45, and I like the abalone too.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:40 PM

But how does it sound and play?
Old 11-13-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's the nature of abalone. They vary. Enjoy it.
Exactly, what I was going to say. Abalone is a natural material. They look well executed.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
But how does it sound and play?
What he said. Those are the important things.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:23 PM

I think you're way over thinking it, they look great, I like them a lot, makes me interested in that model haha
Old 11-13-2021, 08:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The pattern is the classic Martin pattern called "Diamonds and Squares Short Pattern"that is currently featured on the Martin Standard "Reimagined" series OM-28 and 000-28 models.

Taylor and Eastman have echoed it in "Diamond" and "Snowflake" patterns on guitars they hope to have a classic, upscale feel to them.

It is, of course, your choice of whether you like it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-13-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
I don’t care for abalone style fret markers.
What is abalone "style"? As mention a number of times above, abalone is a material that is frequently used for inlay work. In what way is that a style?
Old 11-14-2021, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_elliotsmith View Post
You don't think they look a bit shoddy and uneven? They seem to be quite faint also.
The pics may not show the detail that you see with guitar in hand.

I'm unclear if you simply prefer the dots (like you expected) or if you find the flakes to be poorly done ("shoddy") - which takes away from the appearance of the guitar.

If it is, in fact, the latter - I would (as others have suggested) consider how it sounds and feels. If there's no real chemistry when you play it ... you may never get past the "crooked wallpaper" effect - then why settle?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
That's the nature of abalone. They vary. Enjoy it.
I've never heard of abalone until now. It seems to be a kind of iridescent sea shell similar to mother of pearl? I had an electric guitar with a mother of pearl pickguard before. Never heard of abalone until people started mentioning it on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
Looks lika an upgrade to me. Does the label inside have DT-28H label?

Tell us what you think about the guitar apart from abalone dots.
Yes it does have the DT-28H label.

I've been playing with the guitar on and off over the last couple of days. The action is super high. It really hurts my hands. I'm hoping to buy a "guitar action gauge/ruler" and an allen wrench on Amazon tomorrow so that I can see if I can lower the action by adjusting the truss rod. I've never changed the action on a guitar before. I play a lot of finger picking type stuff and I tend to move across the frets quite fast so the action needs to be quite low. Here is a photo that I hope will show how high the action is: https://ibb.co/tZf8n43

I really like the Sitka spruce top and the herringbone trim pattern. I'm surprised at how much I like the finish also because I was thinking that the finish would have a cheap feel to it because of the price of the guitar. It feels great to touch and it sort of has this "patterned glisten" when you move it around in the light. Here is a photo of the top: https://ibb.co/bz84j1k

The neck is made of mahogany(I assume mahogany veneer with plywood underneath?). It has a satin finish. The satin will make it easier to move up and down the neck. Here is a close up photo of it: https://ibb.co/fxJSBDM

I really like the look of the headstock also. The front of it seems to be stained which gives it a nice dark tint. I'm very happy with that Martin headstock shape. Here's a photo: https://ibb.co/NVcJWQS

The guitar sounds quite good even though it really hurts my left hand and fingers to play it which I'm hoping I can fix. I can feel the sound vibrating inside of it while I play which is a new thing for me because I've been basically playing a 200 Euro Aria guitar for the last 20 years which I'm pretty sure has a laminate top. It definitely has a fuller sound and more bass than the Aria even though that might not be saying much.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I've never heard of abalone until now. It seems to be a kind of iridescent sea shell similar to mother of pearl? I had an electric guitar with a mother of pearl pickguard before. Never heard of abalone until people started mentioning it on this thread.

Yes it does have the DT-28H label.

I've been playing with the guitar on and off over the last couple of days. The action is super high. It really hurts my hands. I'm hoping to buy a "guitar action gauge/ruler" and an allen wrench on Amazon tomorrow so that I can see if I can lower the action by adjusting the truss rod. I've never changed the action on a guitar before. I play a lot of finger picking type stuff and I tend to move across the frets quite fast so the action needs to be quite low. Here is a photo that I hope will show how high the action is: https://ibb.co/tZf8n43

<<snippet>
Congrats on the Sigma. The truss rod is not used to adjust action but rather relief. I'm guessing you need a full setup, which may include filing the nut slots down and/or the saddle.

Do you have a capo? Put it on the 1st fret. Does it play easier? If so, filing the nut slots should help.

Take it to a guitar tech to have it setup. It's worth the extra money. Adjusting the truss rod won't accomplish what you're looking to do.

Your Action Pic... yes, it's high.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
There's nothing wrong with them (ie not shoddy) but personal taste is subjective. I agree they would be considered an upgrade.

How does the guitar play and sound (assuming it's the model you ordered, those are the real questions here)
It is definitely the model I ordered. I'm starting to warm up to the abalone after hearing people talk about it on this thread. I just wasn't expecting it. However the guitar is quite uncomfortable to play because the action is so high. I'm hoping I can fix this. It sounds quite good. It has a full sound and I can feel the guitar body vibrate when I play chords etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
The abalone inlays would be considered an upgrade over the simple dot inlays by most, but the relative aesthetic value of each is a subjective individual preference. If you don't like the inlays, then return the guitar and find one that has the style of inlay that you prefer.

Personally, I prefer the abalone inlays, and was especially fond of them on the Collings D2H that I once owned which is pictured below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Exactly, what I was going to say. Abalone is a natural material. They look well executed.
Yeah I'm starting to warm up to the abalone. I just didn't know what it was and was put off by the inconsistent nature of the colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The pattern is the classic Martin pattern called "Diamonds and Squares Short Pattern"that is currently featured on the Martin Standard "Reimagined" series OM-28 and 000-28 models.

Taylor and Eastman have echoed it in "Diamond" and "Snowflake" patterns on guitars they hope to have a classic, upscale feel to them.

It is, of course, your choice of whether you like it.

Bob
Oh right good to know. The abalone inlays seem to look the same in those Martins compared to my Sigma. Here are better photos of the inlays of my Sigma:

15th fret: https://ibb.co/S3Lkv3Y
12th fret: https://ibb.co/bPsy2Rk
7th fret: https://ibb.co/cNHDkv3

You can see that the one at the 12th fret is slightly crooked but maybe this is normal. I still feel that the right-hand inlay on the 12th fret is a bit messy but maybe it's normal?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:20 AM

Default The reason that it is different is......

that the ad is not a photograph, it's a drawing. What you received is much nicer.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats on the Sigma. The truss rod is not used to adjust action but rather relief. I'm guessing you need a full setup, which may include filing the nut slots down and/or the saddle.

Do you have a capo? Put it on the 1st fret. Does it play easier? If so, filing the nut slots should help.

Take it to a guitar tech to have it setup. It's worth the extra money. Adjusting the truss rod won't accomplish what you're looking to do.

Your Action Pic... yes, it's high.

Cheers for the helpful reply. I'm learning about these things as I go so I didn't realize that perhaps the nut slots and saddle may be the issue rather than the truss rod. I put a capo on the first and second frets and I was able to play much more comfortably. For some reason there is significant buzzing from the bass strings when I put the capo on the first fret but there is no buzzing on the second fret.

I have no issue with bringing the guitar to a music shop to get the action properly setup. Will it be expensive though? I'm starting to think that Sigma saved on expenses by not spending resources on making sure the action on the guitar would be of a certain standard? Maybe I'm wrong...

Also out of curiosity...if someone filed the nut slots down too much what happens? I assume you have to replace the nut itself and start over again?
Old 11-14-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Cheers for the helpful reply. I'm learning about these things as I go along so I didn't realize that perhaps the nut slots may be the issue rather than the truss rod.

I have no issue with bringing the guitar to a music shop to get the action properly setup. Will it be expensive though? I'm starting to think that Sigma saved on expenses by not spending resources on making sure the action on the guitar would be of a certain standard? Maybe I'm wrong...

Also out of curiosity...if someone filed the nut slots down too much what happens? I assume you have to replace the nut itself and start over again?
If you file the nut slots too low you'll either need to replace the nut or you can use the baking soda/crazy glue trick which adds substance to the nut slot that you can file down again.

If you sand the bottom of the saddle down too low (don't try to sand the top) then you need a new saddle or a shim to put under the saddle. You know if you go too low on either because you'll have fret buzz.

The cost will differ based on where you live but perhaps $75 if it's just nut slots, saddle, and truss rod.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion