The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 12:52 PM

Even for a beater that looks like a high end guitar it wouldn't be worth it to support a counterfeiter. Especially not when you can buy perfectly good guitars (Guild's gad series, Epiphone masterbuilt, Yamaha, Seagull, etc...) for even less than what this seller wants for his knock-off.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:01 PM

I've seen these listed at dhgate.com, along with very convincing Gibson, Martin, and PRS acoustic guitar copies. These clowns are obviously only copying the most expensive guitars from these companies. The trick they use is to not show too many pictures and to never show a shot of the headstock. I wouldn't buy one, but for $300-$400, I can now see what the attraction is after looking at the pictures in this thread. Assuming the thing isn't going to fall apart and will stay in tune, that's a pretty darn impressive "campfire/travel" guitar for less than 1/15 the cost of the real thing.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
Im totally against bootlegs -
their ripping off non suspecting people who work hard for their money -
then the second buyer who thinks their buying american ,( who has no idea - maybe buying it used as an investment )
gets screwed even worse -its so wrong in 100 different ways -
its getting to the point almost everything is being copied in china -
we so have to ban these goods -
Im one who tries not to buy anything made in China -unless theirs no other choice !
I feel like in this case, though, no one was 'ripped off.' The seller told the buyers it was a Chinese copy and not the real thing, it's not like it was a rebranded low quality dread marketed as an original.
MIJ Vintage Squier
Hofner Ignition Series Bass
Takamine G-Series Acoustic Guitar
Fender CD160 Twelve String
Fender CD220 Acoustic Guitar
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterX View Post
I've seen these listed at dhgate.com, ....
I looked there and they have blatant counterfeits all over the place. And they even copy the manufacturer's spec from their website including the registered trademark symbol.

I despise everything about that, including the people.

We cannot impose our laws on other countries - if they have no law against counterfeiting and theft of IP that's their business. But we could make it illegal to market, sell and posess these in the US.

I heard that there was a crackdown on counterfeit Gibsons and the federal government confiscated any counterfeits.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-24-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobolo View Post
Stumbled upon this eBay link.

I know the Chinese made copies of guitars but always left some detail a little off just so it can't be said that it's an exact copy. But this one looks like a full copy with the actual brand name stamped. Is this even legal to import and sell?

Given the cheap price it sold and if it really has all solid woods and sounds at least as good as an Eastman, it would make a nice couch/beater.

That's a pretty amazing forgery. With that level of skill, much could be achieved preferable to simply copying others.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:59 AM

Yeah, as far as fakes go, that's actually pretty good!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
Looks like a pretty good copy to me. I applaud their talented art of copying. When I was younger my dad used to buy me counterfeit CDs where the songs on them were not sung by the original artists but were covers. Whilst these companies were making money illegally, it was all my dad could afford to bring joy to his son's life. Some people aren't able to buy their kids a 916ce despite working really hard, but they don't want to let their kids down. They buy their kids this and bring a smile to their faces.
I know it's WRONG, but if the Chinese can make a very close copy, to the point that they get sued. Maybe that tells people the major players are over charging ?
I purchased a Chinese Les Paul Black Beauty Copy, completely tore it apart and rebuilt it with Genuine Gibson parts. I do not intend to sell it, but I have a Gibson Black Beauty, for less than 1/3 the price. A guitar I truly love, but could NEVER afford an original. Since the photo was taken, I've replaced the pickguard with a Gibson.
Gibson Price for the BB I wanted, $4000.00, My Copy. Guitar price $325.00, upgrades $600.00 Under $1000.00.

Dan

Last edited by DanPanther; 07-25-2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Come on guys . Don't support forgers/criminals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion