The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2023, 05:46 AM

brainfertilizer,

You did everything right on Imgur. However, you needed to click on the yellow icon with a mountain and then insert the link in the dialog box that opens.

It would have then posted your image without the link....
Old 09-30-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleser View Post
Do you know what strings are currently installed?
I believe Emerald uses high tension Optima strings, which actually sound pretty good; but admittedly the treble on both my x7 and x20 nylons are rather subdued when played opposite a quality built wood classical.
It is a more subdued sound to my ears, not bright. You may consider replacing
/ experimenting with the trebles to bring out more of the sound you are expecting.
They definitely FEEL much more high tension. I'll try that.

I have no experience in buying classical strings. I also am a cheap *******. Got any decent cheap recommendations?

Would the cheap Chinese brand Alice's classical strings be lower tension?
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 09-30-2023, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
brainfertilizer,

You did everything right on Imgur. However, you needed to click on the yellow icon with a mountain and then insert the link in the dialog box that opens.

It would have then posted your image without the link....
I did click on the mountain, that resulted in the "broken picture link" symbols in the first attempt (attempted again here):

(...and it will probably work this time)

Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well I don’t wannabe “that” guy, but you know what they say.....first impressions/bonding with a guitar, yada, yada, yada. Good find, because even if you move it along you are cured of FOMO.
I get that, but from my experience with electric guitar churning, I'm not that way.

I don't always know which guitars will end up being my favorites until I've played them for months.

There are some things I like about this guitar.

That being said, this *might* be the one time I embody that rule. I have 44 days to decide.
Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
People often say that CF guitars don't sound like wood guitars. IMO the difference is minimal with steel strings, but nylon strings somehow seem emphasize that difference.

Your description matches my experience with the X20 nylon. Emerald nylon string guitars just don't sound like other/wood nylon string guitars. In my book that is not a bad thing if you can appreciate them for their unique tone.

What I like less is their lack of volume. I managed to increase the volume of my X20 by using Thomastik KR116 rope core strings. However, that makes the guitar sound even more like a steel string.

Actually the tone of my X7 nylon is somewhat closer to what one would expect from a classical guitar. Still, it is not quite there.
And in spite of being smaller its perceived volume is higher than that of my X20 (before I put on the rope cores).
I think I can deal with the lack of volume, but the tone is a higher obstacle.
So it's good to know that chasing volume will take me farther from the tone I want.

Interesting to hear about the X7. I wonder if it's the shallower body that keeps it from swallowing up the trebles I want to hear?

I'll have to check out X7 clips. Maybe someone would be up for a trade...
Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 09:04 AM

Yeah, the X7 is more what I'm looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVrF-FcXC-g

...but maybe even more, the X10 slimline nylon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyr54FYIU00
Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
I did click on the mountain, that resulted in the "broken picture link" symbols in the first attempt (attempted again here):

(...and it will probably work this time)

It still didn't work.

In Imgur you need to open the image and "Copy Direct Link" (Not Image Link). Then paste that link into the Mountain Icon for the image to automatically upload in the post.

Last edited by dgaemc2; 09-30-2023 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Updated content
Old 09-30-2023, 02:17 PM

Default test

Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 02:25 PM

Default Finally Found the "Direct Link" option

Thanks.

Help me figure out a little more what I have here.

1) No controls in the cavity. Just some wires from under the bridge to the output jack.
Is that an LR Baggs? If it isn't a Baggs setup, in the case is a K&K external pre-amp. The guitar amplifies without it, but, obviously, I have no controls on the guitar.

2) I *think* the "inlays" are stickers. I don't see anything like them on the website and on the higher fret inlays, you can see a black circle around it.

3) What's the advantage of the open headstock over the traditional, other than aesthetics?

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering one of the in-stock X10 slimline nylons instead.

The blue one has a ghost piezo. I'm probably weird, but I like the natural classical pingy sound, yet *don't* like the piezo pingy sound. Even though they are similar. I've tested it on both the Godin Multiac and the Cordoba Stage...I like the sound better when I don't use the piezo pickup.

So am I more likely to happier with an LR Baggs than a Ghost Piezo?
Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

1) No controls in the cavity. Just some wires from under the bridge to the output jack.
Is that an LR Baggs? If it isn't a Baggs setup, in the case is a K&K external pre-amp. The guitar amplifies without it, but, obviously, I have no controls on the guitar.

2) I *think* the "inlays" are stickers. I don't see anything like them on the website and on the higher fret inlays, you can see a black circle around it.

3) What's the advantage of the open headstock over the traditional, other than aesthetics?

The reason I'm asking is I'm considering one of the in-stock X10 slimline nylons instead.

The blue one has a ghost piezo. I'm probably weird, but I like the natural classical pingy sound, yet *don't* like the piezo pingy sound. Even though they are similar. I've tested it on both the Godin Multiac and the Cordoba Stage...I like the sound better when I don't use the piezo pickup.

So am I more likely to happier with an LR Baggs than a Ghost Piezo?
Responses to your questions:
1. Not sure what pickup? I believe all Emerald pickups have at least 1 wheel in sound hole.
2. Not an inlay offered by Emerald...so yes stickers.
3. All Emerald nylon strings have slotted head tuners to my knowledge?

I've never played any Emerald nylon guitar so not much help about your questions about X10 Slim Nylon.

I think I would prefer an X10 Nylon over X10 Slimline Nylon simply for it likely sounding better acoustically.

Good job on posting the full picture!

Last edited by dgaemc2; 09-30-2023 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-30-2023, 03:04 PM

Here's one in-stock that has the non-slotted headstock.
https://emeraldguitars.com/product/x...mline-nylon-8/

The one in this video also is non-slotted, and I like the tone better than on mine.

...then again, it's amplified, so maybe I should explore mine amplified more...

Cordoba Stage
Old 09-30-2023, 03:20 PM

brainfertilizer,

I stand corrected about all nylons having a slotted head stock. That's good because slotted head stock is a big cost adder!

My X10 slimline with Krivo and Ghost pickup is really cool but intended to be a plugged-in amplified guitar while playing with a band.

I don't think the X10 Slimline Nylon will sound better acoustically than your X20 Nylon based on my experience with the steel string versions of both.

Btw, the video link didn't work. Follow the same procedure as with uploading pictures, but paste the link after clicking on the "Chain Link Icon".
Old 09-30-2023, 03:26 PM

Here's a rare clip of X10 Slimline Nylon where he starts out unplugged but must be plugged in when outside. Sounds great but don't know what he is using to amplify it outdoors....

https://youtu.be/XuxdJFG4l3Q?t=85
Old 09-30-2023, 03:43 PM

If I were to get a nylon string guitar my preference is the paddle head - I'm not a big fan of slot heads AND they cost considerably more. You've already broken with classical tradition by going CF, so why choose a slot head? If that is your preference, fine with me.

[Enabler mode ON] One nice thing about buying from stock is that you do have a decent return period and would only be out return shipping. Then you could plug in the pickup that it comes with and give it a good test drive though your system.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Based on this, I’m going to guess that you have an aftermarket K&K install, especially as the matching preamp was included. I may be wrong, but standalone K&K installs typically don’t have onboard controls.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, emerald, nylon acoustic, x20