The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Slacker View Post
Not to take away from SCGC strings (have used them and they are good), but Straight Up Strings are as good. Buy a 6 pack for a discount as I remember. Roger Siminoff is a great person to deal with and if you have a question will get back to you personally.
Beyond "as good" ever being in the eye of the beholder, SUS are not treated, and of the treated strings I've tried, SCGC last longest.

I like SUS, however not quite as well as I do the Santa Cruz strings, part of that is SCGC last me more than twice as long, I also think they sound better (on my SCGC OM, not on my om-28).
Old 05-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I have no problem with a Santa Cruz guitar, $45 picks, but the SCGC strings? Can't do it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-15-2024, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
Any better places to buy SC strings then from their site????.

I went to their site and you can only 'subscribe' for strings which is sort of silly....Its like BMW charging a subscription fee for their seat heaters...Just sell me the strings!!!

I play elixir Phosphors most of the time and they are 'pretty darn good' but I like that sort of Piano chime from the SC low tensions...but not at 30+ bucks a month for a set. They want 24+ tax + 5 bucks shipping per set....I don't mind paying extra, but paying 5 bucks PER SET seems a little steep on shipping, thus why I'd like to buy maybe 5 or 6 sets at once and not get nailed on that extra $$$

OR is there a similar string out there? I like the way those guys feel 'fat' under your fingers...and of course the tone....Uber balanced and loud.
Maybe there is something out there the same or similar in quality???

Idea's? Thanks
CME sells them for the same price and offers free shipping. They also advertise as available in multi-packs.

SC Parabolic low tension strings for acoustic 6 string guitar
Old 05-15-2024, 03:25 PM

From my experience, I think SC strings sound best on mahogany guitars. I don't use them on rosewood.

Jerry
Old 05-15-2024, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeecham View Post
From my experience, I think SC strings sound best on mahogany guitars. I don't use them on rosewood.

Jerry
That might explain my 'meh' experience with the first set...it was an Eastman Rosewood OM that I wasn't falling in love with...that was a last attempt at salvaging the relationship. We finally broke up.

But, as you just pointed out, on my already awesome sounding OM18 they make it even more amazing...clear hoggy American in-your-face-ness, but just BOOMing Chords.. I would like to put a set on my 00-18 that is my outdoor everyday songwriting guitar to give him a little more 'oomph'. My 28 already sounds like a Piano, but I might try them once just to see if they outlast the Elixir PBs..

I do like the fatter feel on the strings...and as someone pointed out up the thread, YEAH...they do feel like classical strings in a way....you can wiggle all that fatness!!

I did just check CME and they are less on shipping, but not 'free'shipping...it was like 5 bucks but for three sets....and Thank you for the heads up about the Xmas time deals...

I am actually totally in zen with my guitars, but I do like different feels and string tones. Sometimes I even still throw on a set of Martins for that ultra dry Ameircan flat picking sound...they just never last more than a week and half of playing...and I play a lot so I try to get a month out of each set/guitar

PS WEIRD !?!!??? when I clicked in from the link you guys posted, it was gonna charge me shipping...then I went in from the 'front of the website' link, and it says 'this item ships free?" So I clicked 'buy', went to check out...and it added shipping!!!!

HUH?

Last edited by baseball; 05-15-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have no problem with a Santa Cruz guitar, $45 picks, but the SCGC strings? Can't do it.
Ironic to me, because SCGSs save me money. They last so much longer than everything else that they are, by far, the most cost effective strings I've ever used.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guitar View Post
You can buy them on Amazon, but I don't know that the price would be any better.
Yes $24 and some sets have free shipping if you're a Prime member. e.g., 3 paks of low or medium tension are $72 ($24 per) with free shipping. Also, they usually go on sale around the year-end holidays (eg., buy 2 get one free)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
...SCGSs save me money. They last so much longer than everything else that they are, by far, the most cost effective strings I've ever used.
My experience as well, and they're among the very best IMHO (although Martin Kovar Luxe have recently turned my head, haven't had them n long enough to judge longevity.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ironic to me, because SCGSs save me money. They last so much longer than everything else that they are, by far, the most cost effective strings I've ever used.
Hey, it's ironic to me too, hence I was poking fun at myself. SCGC guitars were too expensive for what they are, then they weren't. No pick is worth $45, now I have ten or so. I'm sure I'll cave on the strings at some point.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-16-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, not saying saving money like time but the steel tempering seems really good like the new era D'Addario but nicer impact, feel and tome to my acoustic guitar.

Maybe I'd think differently if were like a period when I was going to weekly jams and 2x a month playing outside for free beer. That, summer heat and humidity meant being dissatisfied with strings fast.

Also, I haven't bought these in more than a year with one set left. Maybe current prices are much worse?
Old 05-16-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeecham View Post

Jerry
I use them on my rosewood Taylor and they are fantastic. Just ordered another set from Amazon.
Old 05-16-2024, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Amazon has the Santa Cruz parabolic tension strings - 6 pack for $144 with free Prime shipping and $288 for 12 pack with free Prime shipping.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-16-2024, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Hey, it's ironic to me too, hence I was poking fun at myself. SCGC guitars were too expensive for what they are, then they weren't. No pick is worth $45, now I have ten or so. I'm sure I'll cave on the strings at some point.
I hear you. I was vocal about SCGC stings being overpriced and wouldn't buy them. Then, I had a guitar with them and realized the sound wasn't changing.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

Maybe I'd think differently if were like a period when I was going to weekly jams and 2x a month playing outside for free beer. That, summer heat and humidity meant being dissatisfied with strings fast.
I never thought about the heat and humidity. I have been sitting outside playing every day and I seem to be unhappy with my tone sooner...I wipe 'em down and even use some string cleaner as they are nearing their 'dead' tone, but I didn't realize that might be contributing to their early demise.

I contacted CME about the 'free shipping'..it is on anything OVER $75 bucks so that would be 4 sets of SGGC strings (@24 each)....

But I bought a new guitar today for the first time in a long time, so I'm gonna break it in with the Elixirs I already own..wouldn't want to give it an unfair advantage (LOL)...defintely gonna get more SC's, just need to ease up for a minute on the $$toy funds
Old 05-18-2024, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
I never thought about the heat and humidity. I have been sitting outside playing every day and I seem to be unhappy with my tone sooner...I wipe 'em down and even use some string cleaner as they are nearing their 'dead' tone, but I didn't realize that might be contributing to their early demise.

I contacted CME about the 'free shipping'..it is on anything OVER $75 bucks so that would be 4 sets of SGGC strings (@24 each)....

But I bought a new guitar today for the first time in a long time, so I'm gonna break it in with the Elixirs I already own..wouldn't want to give it an unfair advantage (LOL)...defintely gonna get more SC's, just need to ease up for a minute on the $$toy funds
There's several places that sell them for $24 w/ free shipping. You don't need to buy multiples.
Old 05-18-2024, 09:57 PM

Quote:
There's several places that sell them for $24 w/ free shipping. You don't need to buy multiples.
Where at besides amazon? I canceled prime after I had multiple things that said 'next day' or 'two days' take over a week+ w/no explanation. Things that were little that I would have bought local except for the 'convenience' of having them delivered.

I use 'Aliens and Strangers' for most elixir purchases, but they don't carry SCGC's...Just the meat and potatoes kind of stuff

Also wonder if anybody knows where to get Elixir PB HD's in bulk? Like 3 packs or discounts on a half dozen

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion