The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 08:09 AM

Before choosing my Taylor 512ce (Englemann spruce top, mahogany back and sides), I tried the 612ce (Sitka spruce top, maple back and sides) and 712ce (Englemann spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides). How nice to have liked the sound of the (slightly) lower cost model the most.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:22 AM

I've got a perfect solution but it did take a while.

Get a classic example of each. Honestly, I'm convinced I don't have the desire to have so many or sell, swap, trade because I have rather archetypal examples in my acoustics and electrics. The delayed gratification is tough but now when I get the desire for a guitar I'll take what I have with when I shop and end up not so excited about a new guitar.

Otherwise I think the graphics and descriptions here do a good job. That said I think some models go beyond being labeled or put as a stereotype. My 00-18 for an example really works with any style of playing as an example.

Have fun shopping and playing!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
from that Taylor page: "That thick, present midrange sound is sometimes described in guitar circles as meaty, organic or even “chewy” — wherever a player digs in on the fretboard, they’re tapping into the core of the harmonic content of what a guitar produces. Those great midrange frequencies produce overtones that stack up and produce bloom, giving the sound extra girth. When one hears the resulting harmonics, the “chewy” tone serves up a big mouthful of midrange."

Replace 'sound' with 'taste,' and I would say exactly the same thing about the zinfandel I'm drinking.
Taylor shovels more crap than a team of muckers in a Rhino cage.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:30 AM

I love both and built my collection around both, very different to me.

I have indentical Martin dreads; Adi tops, same Adi bracing (size and placement), 1-3/4" nut and Mod v neck, ebony bridge and fingerboards, bone nut and saddles, buffalo horn pins, same strings, the only difference is binding/purfling and I don' think that affects tone.

One is a Hog, D-18GE and one Madagascar Rosewood, 175th Anniversary America's Guitar, they sound nothing alike. The Hog is more fundamental, warmer, slightly louder, less harmonics and overtones, it loves to be flatpicked. The Madi is brighter, more complex sound with harmonics and overtones, lush sustaining chords. Neither is better they are just different.

Many bluegrass bands, if they have two guitars, will have a D-18 and a D-28. The D-18 will be the lead guitar and the D-28 the rhythm, and the other thing I noticed with mine is they don't "step on each other" when played together like identical guitars do, they fill each others voids and together make a wall of sound. I don't need a bunch of exotic back/sides woods myself, hog and rosewood are good enough for the me with nice Adi/Carpathian tops.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 03-07-2009, 08:42 AM
strummin' an x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnantel View Post
Before choosing my Taylor 512ce (Englemann spruce top, mahogany back and sides), I tried the 612ce (Sitka spruce top, maple back and sides) and 712ce (Englemann spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides). How nice to have liked the sound of the (slightly) lower cost model the most.
rnantel,

My experience closely mirrors yours, right down to the 512ce.

I love mine.

Cheers,
Sarah S.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 AM

I think it's not just the backs and sides, and it's not just the tops. It the combination of the two, the body style and your style of playing. To me, all of those variables define a guitar's sound.

I currently have two dreadnaughts with rosewood backs and sides. My D-28 is, of course, spruce and rosewood. My Taylor 710 is cedar and rosewood. I had never considered cedar and rosewood before because you usually see cedar with mahogany. But, I love that 710. It's got a great sound.

This week I played a Taylor 314 (spruce/mahogany). I had forgotten how good that sounds. The guitar had a beautiful brightness and was a joy to play.

Now I've got GAS again!

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 AM

I have one of each. A 414ceLTD and a 514ce. For me, rosewood has a much darker tone with more overtones. Much better for strumming where Mahogany is a warmer more woody tone that is more suited for fingerstyle. I actually prefer mahogany over rosewood.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Here is how Taylor and Breedlove describe the difference:...
Thanks for digging up the charts. They confirm to some degree what I like and why. I have a personal preference for mahogany but am also pleased with the sound of what may be my next purchase, carbon fiber as its done by CA guitars.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion