The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
I'm looking at buying a 2017 J45 Custom. The MAP is $3,099. I know the AGF sponsors who offer great prices on Martins. What about Gibson? Right now Musician's Friend has a 15% off Labor Day sale plus 36 months 0% financing.

That takes the J45 from $3,099 Map to $2,636.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
...so I would offer $2400 and would guess we would end up around $2600.
I am not a Gibson dealer, and couldn't comment if I were, but I think 15% off MAP is a very fair deal, and Musicians Friend is an excellent online source.

BTW, I don't know how the folks at Gibson feel about it, but many manufacturers frown on deep discounting, and if Gibson is one of them, than dealers might not want to be listed in threads like this, and would have asked their clients to be discreet about any discounts they received. Might be more productive if you called a few Gibson dealers yourself to get their best price.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I am not a Gibson dealer, and couldn't comment if I were, but I think 15% off MAP is a very fair deal, and Musicians Friend is an excellent online source.

BTW, I don't know how the folks at Gibson feel about it, but many manufacturers frown on deep discounting, and if Gibson is one of them, than dealers might not want to be listed in threads like this, and would have asked their clients to be discreet about any discounts they received. Might be more productive if you called a few Gibson dealers yourself to get their best price.
I actually tried going the "ask the dealer" route. Emailed two recommended dealers from Gibson website to inquire about inventory and price. Not a peep from either of them. I worked at a music store in college and understand A and B pricing. Realize everyone has to make a living and am not one of those guys that needs to crow about squeezing every last dime out of the deal.

I got an email flyer from MF today that offered 15% off and 36 months financing. Don't need another guitar but have been looking to add a Gibson acoustic. The guy on the chat helpline said I could get the discount and the financing option but I'd have to call. Before I did that I wanted to check with AGF'ers to get some opinions.

Ted, as always, offered a very reasonable observation, as did several others. That's why I enjoy this forum. Thanks for all the responses.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baimo View Post
If Sweetwater sales engineer is willing to give 60% off, I will buy everything from the. JK. Your numbers messed with my head

I believe you meant 40% off or you start by asking to pay 60% of MSRP.
Yes. Duh! Thanks for the correction.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 08-29-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:

Really? I was not asked to be discreet. Actually quite the opposite, they would like me to spread the word and get my friends to give them a call.
Guild GAD25
Old 08-29-2016, 09:44 AM

Make sure you get a trial window- Gibson consistency, even on the high end, is still a large range. I ended up going between 5-stars dealers here in LA to get my 2016 TV. Wasn't thrilled with the shop but the guitar is really something. Was able to get 15% or so off the tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eastman E20P
+ a bunch of electrics...
Old 08-29-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I actually tried going the "ask the dealer" route. Emailed two recommended dealers from Gibson website to inquire about inventory and price. Not a peep from either of them...
Note that I suggested calling, not emailing. Emailing a price can be considered advertising, as such, all they could email you is MAP. Not all manufacturers consider email quotes advertising of course, and some dealers are not concerned with violating dealer agreements, but as a general rule, to get the best pricing, it's best to pick up the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos View Post
Really? I was not asked to be discreet. Actually quite the opposite, they would like me to spread the word and get my friends to give them a call.
Word of mouth advertising is very different from asking folks to post your discount prices on a public forum. The former is a tried and true way of advertising, but the latter is seen as a way of circumventing MAP. I get the feeling that your Sweetwater salesman wanted you to tell your friends, not post prices on a public forum, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

When I was shopping for a 45 this year I found them to be pretty consistent, but at that price range I prefer to play the guitar for a while before paying.

Every 45 I played was good and the custom (rosewood) was really good too.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 08-29-2016, 11:33 AM

AGF classifieds.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Note that I suggested calling, not emailing. Emailing a price can be considered advertising, as such, all they could email you is MAP. Not all manufacturers consider email quotes advertising of course, and some dealers are not concerned with violating dealer agreements, but as a general rule, to get the best pricing, it's best to pick up the phone.

Word of mouth advertising is very different from asking folks to post your discount prices on a public forum. The former is a tried and true way of advertising, but the latter is seen as a way of circumventing MAP. I get the feeling that your Sweetwater salesman wanted you to tell your friends, not post prices on a public forum, but I could be wrong.
I wasn't expecting a quote but thought they might respond say they had them in stock or could get them and to give them a call to discuss. The musical instrument retail business is tough, as you know, I'd sure follow up on a lead in some form or fashion.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 08-29-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I wasn't expecting a quote but thought they might respond say they had them in stock or could get them and to give them a call to discuss. The musical instrument retail business is tough, as you know, I'd sure follow up on a lead in some form or fashion.
You are absolutely correct, a response is a must. Unless an email gets derailed somehow, I respond to all price requests asking folks to call me. Believe it or not, most never do, but those that do, end up buying the guitar from us.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:17 PM

I just purchased a J-45 Standard from Chicago Music Exchange. They had three J-45's and I was able to audition all three before choosing the one I liked. It was by far the best guitar buying experience I've ever had. Great selection and instruments that were well cared for. I was glad I didn't have to settle for a beat up floor model.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I've bought Gibson's from Wildwood, Music Zoo, both great.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I bought both my Gibsons from Music Villa, the 5-star dealer located in Bozeman just a few miles from the mothership. Great folks to deal with.
I'll second this recommendation. Of course, they're somewhat "local" to me (they're the closest Gibson dealer, even though they're 3 hours away). Good shop, good people, and great service.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Well I don't think the deals I get at SW are much different than you can get at other places ... basically you just have to ask. And again, I was never asked to be discreet. The 60% of mfg list price has been posted on this forum and other forums many times in the past. I would hardly call it a secret.
Guild GAD25
Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM

Default No Deal

So, to bring this discussion full circle, I called Musician's Friend to order the guitar and they said they would NOT apply the Labor Day discount after all. I mentioned that I had an extensive discussion with one of their reps on their chatline that morning but to no avail.

I should have at least printed out the transcript of the chat. Would think that if you could show where a salesman actually told me it was a go then MF might honor it.

A case of GAS abated...
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Emerald X20 Woody
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion