The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2022, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

If your humidity is getting down into the low 30's or lower you should have a humidifier for your own comfort. As for your guitars, I've had good results using Kyser Lifeguard Soundhole Humidifiers. I'm not affiliated and I'm just saying that they've worked well for me for several years now but you have to look after them and keep them damp but if you use them as you should, your instruments will stay in good shape.
2011 Recording King ROS 626
2020 National NRP Tricone
Old 02-21-2022, 10:51 AM

The Venta (evaporative in nature) checks every box. (Except price)
No filters. I have had two of them for 5-years now in “dry as a bone” Minnesota so I can keep the fan setting on low or medium.
Zero degrees outside? Rh in music room is a quiet, white-dust free 45% Rh.
-I cleaned them yesterday. No need to fuss with filters ever. That aspect alone may justify initial cost in the long run. No need to buy Venta’s rather expensive chemical-cleaners. I just use toss a cup of citric acid and a few drops of blue Dawn liquid dish soap into the unit every month or so
Old 02-21-2022, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

The "white dust" thing is probably an issue for some places, but not here
in Oconee SC, I like my ultrasonics... it must depend upon your water.

If my buddy Kent put the stuff that passes for water that comes out
of his well in the low country in an ultrasonic, concrete would probably come out...

-Mike
Old 02-21-2022, 02:43 PM

I too live in Minnesota. This year, I bought a Honeywell tower style evaporative unit from Target. My music room (man cave) occupies the lower level of my home. It is approximately 800 sq. ft. The unit I bought has a built in Hygrometer and a 3 speed fan. I set the humidity level to 45%, and it does a pretty good job with the fan on medium speed. No white dust, but I do need to fill it almost every day. Not a big deal though as the tank is easily removed. I've chewed through a couple filters this year, but that is to be expected with the hardness of the water where I live.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 02-21-2022, 03:12 PM

If you have hard cases you can get the level of humidity where it needs to be in the cases, but it takes more than one device. I use a combination of two Oasis humidifiers and Humidipaks in every case. Depending on the temp outside you can easily over humidify the interior of a house or apartment and create mold problems.
Yamaha Pacifica 212VFM Flamed Maple
Old 02-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
3 of my acoustics are having humidity issues. The low humidity has caused the strings to just buzz when I play notes along say the high E or B strings. This only happens in the winter, and the winters are bad here in New York.

Which room humidifier should I get? Dampits for my guitars don’t really work, so I’m thinking I may just humidify the room. Thanks.
I lived in CT for many years and I used a digital warm mist humidifier (set it and forget it) 45% just refill every three days. The problem I used to run into was condensation building up on my windows, my music room/man cave had only two windows so I would just wipe the windows and sills down. I live out west now and just use a cool mist unit with distilled water and I don't get any white dust at all.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:30 PM

I use a large Aircare humidifier. It does have a control by both a humisdadt, and adjustable fan speed. I intentionally purchased one that was rated for over twice the square footage im looking to humidify. By oversizing the unit Im usually able to run the somewhat noisy fan speed down on 1 of 9 setting. Also by going overkill I get large tanks that don't need filling as often.
Old 05-09-2024, 04:04 AM

Sorry for reviving this thread. But is there an air purifier that helps prevent mold? Or do they all do that?
Old 05-09-2024, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Sumon View Post
Sorry for reviving this thread. But is there an air purifier that helps prevent mold? Or do they all do that?
I use a bacteriostatic/conditioner in ever other tank I refill.
Old 05-09-2024, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Sumon View Post

Mold in a humidifier or mold in a room? I don’t think an air purifier will prevent mold growing in walls and such. If there is mold growing, isn’t that too much moisture?
Old 05-09-2024, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Keep your RH under 60% and mold won't be an issue.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion