The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2022, 09:13 AM

I guess I don’t understand the outrage. It might seem unfair, but since humans developed commerce, that’s how it’s worked. Buy low, sell high. Supply and demand. It’s not even close to being fraud - it’s simply, “I have this, and this is what it’ll cost you.” Back when the pandemic hit, I was in the market for a used pickup truck. Nothing fancy, just a working truck that I’d drive once a week or so. It’s something that I actually need, not a random purchase. Those are selling at about 40% more than they are worth now. I won’t pay a “pandemic surcharge” to anyone for a non-essential item, despite really wanting it. But the sellers are allowed to ask what they want - they are the vendors, and if they can make a killing, it’ll be from someone else
Old 04-14-2022, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

That ad has been on reverb for 24 days now, so at least the world hasn't gone completely off its nut.

I bought a WL-S Deluxe in late 2020 for $3,100. They are really nice guitars that fit perfectly into the music genre they were built for. I really like the look of the WL-S Deluxe, and the WL-S as well. They are just a sight to behold. But after 8 months of not getting much play time I realized I was hanging on to it mostly for eye candy and I wasn't going to be playing the kind of music it was designed for. Off it went.

Before I bought mine I was curious about the price history of the Deluxe and made this plot - solid dots are new, open symbols are mint or excellent used.

wls1.jpg

The point on the upper right is the one currently listed on reverb. So, yeah, opportunism.

I gotta think Collings understands how much love there is for the Waterloo line and that things will return to near normal.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-14-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Okay, some of those are overpriced. I see over pricing in all makes and models.

Waterloo guitars are different animals than most all other makes and brands. At any price! Today they are hard to come by. For those that get what Waterloo offers understand the high pricing. That's the point of this thread. You get the Waterloo thing but don't like what it takes to buy in. Realities are facts and take it or leave it.

It appears that they are now making Waterloo guitars again. I've seen a couple shipped lately. The times they are a changing.
Being made yes. They're fulfilling existing orders. Dealers aren't taking new orders. Believe me I tried.
Old 04-14-2022, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

They might be overpriced by some standard, but they are what they are and if someone owns one they can try to sell it for whatever they want as long as it isn't misrepresented. But in regards to fraud, overpricing a guitar that you are trying to sell in itself is not fraud, but buying it and then trying to insure it, I don't know. If you pay $7000 for a $3500 guitar, can you insure it for what you paid for it, or what that standard says it is worth? I think that if I bought a guitar for that kind of money I would want to insure it for that kind of money.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-14-2022, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

There is no law against waiting for a patsy. No law against being one either. This happens with boutique guitar pedals. They get good reviews, get back ordered two years, and people sell their $300 pedal for $1000. Strange times.

When a business sees products being flipped for a profit, you think they rethink their pricing? So you have someone like a tech worker who just got 40% of his annual income as a bonus not to leave, and he wants a Waterloo. He buys it. Boo hoo for the rest of us. By the way, the above just happened to my son in law. Not the guitar part, the bonus.

Funny story, his company, Cruise, just had a self driving car pulled over for not having lights on. The cops were surprised when no one was in the car. Then while they were standing there, the car drove across the intersection when the light changed and pulled into a loading zone. Instructions were to pull over at the first safe spot. So it recognized police lights and then followed the instructions. New world we are living in.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-14-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
There is no law against waiting for a patsy. No law against being one either. This happens with boutique guitar pedals. They get good reviews, get back ordered two years, and people sell their $300 pedal for $1000. Strange times.

When a business sees products being flipped for a profit, you think they rethink their pricing? So you have someone like a tech worker who just got 40% of his annual income as a bonus not to leave, and he wants a Waterloo. He buys it. Boo hoo for the rest of us. By the way, the above just happened to my son in law. Not the guitar part, the bonus.

Funny story, his company, Cruise, just had a self driving car pulled over for not having lights on. The cops were surprised when no one was in the car. Then while they were standing there, the car drove across the intersection when the light changed and pulled into a loading zone. Instructions were to pull over at the first safe spot. So it recognized police lights and then followed the instructions. New world we are living in.

And was there a Waterloo in the back seat?

Or a banjo?

BluesKing777.
Old 04-14-2022, 04:07 PM

To me, it’s just like real estate or anything else with a limited supply …. It’s worth what you can get for it. And along with that, that price will fluctuate day to day or minute to minute.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:49 PM

Well, I am off to play my ladder braced Waterloo WL-14L, possibly worth heaps, but I traded a Martin OM that wouldn’t sell on consign for it 3 or 4 years back.

What a great guitar for my fingerpicking, thanks Bill. Both my Waterloos X and L have that extra magic Bill wanted to give.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

There is now a Waterloo on the AGF for sale. What does everyone think about the pricing?
Old 04-21-2022, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

I see two Waterloos on Reverb. A WLK in Germany and a black WL12 in the US for about £2.5k each.

That is a little more than I bought mine for (new) in November 2016.

Under normal Circs one wouls expect used good to go for around 60-70% of new price, but hings aren't normal and we ae all experiencing high inflation rates, and supply shortages.
We know that covid shutdowns hit Collings hard with significant staff losses.
They have closed down the Waterloo and case building and leased it.

Waterloo builders are now building Collings guitars.

Yes, Bill's vision was sound. and met a need for New "vintage" style instruments.

I have a WL12. The sunburst is gaudy and the finish is a totally differnt philosophy to a Collings branded piece, but they ARE very good instruments with their own character and have Collings build quality.

"Unexpected success" maybe right. Unexpwcted aupply shortage - definately.

When you put up an item for sale/auction, you can always go down, but you can't go up ... unless it is a house of course.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:14 PM

Well, there goes my Waterloo purchase.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-21-2022, 02:41 PM

something is only worth what someone will pay for it -
Im not willing !
Old 07-20-2022, 11:24 PM

As a bit of an update, I see on Reverb.com today that the Waterloos for sale at extreme prices I mentioned in the original post have NOT sold.

No suckers found for a new price $4275 now - for used on Reverb.com $7500 Waterloo?

Good.

https://reverb.com/item/52341828-wat...r-natural-rare

BluesKing777.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:05 AM
Charter Member

Seems like no better time to buy a Gibson or Iris. Or any other guitar lol
Old 07-21-2022, 01:16 AM
Charter Member

Marc Cohn carried an entire concert with a fingerpicked WL-14, so I guess they’re nice guitars. Striking, though, to see them rocket up to Gibson and Martin price strata so quickly. Has that happened recently with other brands?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion