The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2021, 10:07 AM

It could be caused by something in the guitar’s case. Glue off-gassing?

_RP
Old 09-04-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Probably because you enjoy playing the EVO frets so much more -

Old 09-04-2021, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I have EVO on 5 guitars and stainless on 2. I notice absolutely no difference in string wear on either. The EVO sound exactly the same to me but the stainless were a touch brighter in the first few weeks but now I’m completely used to it so I no longer think the tone has changed, but I can only go by memory. If there is a change with stainless, it’s very minor, but the frets do feel slinky and I love it with Elixir nanowebs. I’ve had zero wear on any EVO or stainless guitar. They play as new everyday.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:29 AM

The only thing I can conclude based on the responses is that somehow my finger chemistry reacts to the EVO frets in some way to rust/corrode the strings faster. I thought my fingers weren't too acidic based on my history with nickel-fret guitars, but whaddayaknow...

Thanks for the feedback, all.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I have had no string corrosion issues with either EVO or stainless. As far as string life they last long time on both EVO and stainless. The fret material is harder than NS so the tech needs to make sure the finished fret job has no rough surfaces left over on the fret crowns. If polished up properly no issues for string life. I would never ever go with a NS refret job.
I’d even go further—I get longer string life on my SS fretted guitars, because of how highly polished they are. Both guitars are electrics, so the smoothness of the fret tops really matters for bends. EVO (which I have on one acoustic), is not quite as hard in this respect, but the frets still look better after 6 months of play than the NS frets on my other guitars a month after I polish them.
Old 09-07-2021, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Wolf View Post
I’d even go further—I get longer string life on my SS fretted guitars, because of how highly polished they are. Both guitars are electrics, so the smoothness of the fret tops really matters for bends. EVO (which I have on one acoustic), is not quite as hard in this respect, but the frets still look better after 6 months of play than the NS frets on my other guitars a month after I polish them.
Yes, I posted the same thoughts and personal experience in prior threads on the topic. EVO and stainless steel are
harder than NS and assuming the tech did not mess up the fret crowns will be smoother and will stay that way so
there is less friction on the strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-07-2021, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I have several guitars with Jescar EVO Gold fret wire and have not noticed shortened string life.

It's possible that there could be some galvanic reaction set up between differing metals in the strings and the fret wire, but you need more than dissimilar metals for galvanic corrosion. You also need the presence of an electrolyte to carry the ions from the anodic metal to the cathodic metal. This is where acidic oils from a player's skin comes into question because acids will supply H+ ions as the electrolyte. If a person has acidic skin, then maybe string corrosion might take place over time.

Here is some basic information about galvanic corrosion from Wikipedia.

Just a thought...

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-07-2021 at 09:39 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion