The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2021, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a J45 Standard, J45TV, J15, J35 Reissue, J35V, and J35 Fuller's. The The J35 Fullers and J45 Standard were my favorites. The J45 Standards built today are consistently very good. If you like a 1 32/32" nut and a low-ish profile neck, that's where I'd put my money.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:48 PM

There have been so many variations in neck shapes that I would start there. Try enough to understand what dimensions are comfortable to you and start your search there if that matters to you. It does not much to me.

Next I would try to find a good used one. I have never bought a new guitar as older ones improve so much with seasoning and play, and have usually been cheaper. Cheapness is changing as more folks are seeking well seasoned guitars.

But if you are the sort that requires new and pristine, that is OK. A new guitar opens up a fair bit in a few weeks and a lot in the first year of play. Thereafter it gets better every time you play it, which is a fascinating process.

But I am elderly and have no time to waste. I must hurry, hurry. Old is good; old is reliable. Everything I own is old except for socks and underwear. - Stevo
Old 12-10-2021, 01:54 AM

My purchase of a 2019 J-45 Standard was the best decision of my musical journey. I have other nice guitars including a vintage lg-2 and a Waterloo but I reach for the J-45 about 95% of the time. It does everything. Good luck with your search!
Old 12-10-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
A 2006 just popped up on Mandolin Cafe.

I own a few varieties of Gibson Jumbo: a J45 Standard 2017, a J45 Standard 1949, and a Southern Jumbo 12-fret with an Adi top. The ‘49 clearly sounds the best, but the modern J45 can hang with them both. It’s warmer, but quieter, than the SJ with the Adi top.

I keep thinking about upgrading the Standard to a True Vintage, but I think I might end up missing the warm, round, Sitka tone.

The standard J45 is no slouch!

It’s funny how that works out… put it out in the universe where the wife can’t hear, and now there is a Legend available. [emoji848][emoji848]

I appreciate all of your responses. Sincerely. As a daily lurker, rare poster, I love this community and how helpful y’all are.

In general, I dont mind a chunky neck. I have both a 000 & D-18 (GE, both) and the necks on both are very full & comfy. What I hadn’t considered is how I’d feel about that warmer Sitka tone. I do love that focused adi tone… but the Sitka definitely brings its own to the table.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

When I gassed for a J-45 I went around playing every one that I could find. I had played one with rosewood back and sides and that was special, but out of my budget.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 12-10-2021, 09:34 AM

If I was looking to buy new I’d get the J45 studio with the walnut back and sides. I’ve played several and wanted them all. I have a 95 model and it’s great. There is a very nice one listed on here but it’s priced high because it’s not the typical model.
I was convinced I wanted a Martin d18 till I played a J45. My advice is just get one
Old 12-10-2021, 09:56 AM

I'm still gassing for a nice J-45 as well. At least I think I am. You see, several months ago I got a NOS J-15 walnut burst for a very, very good price. Over these last few months, my four Martins hardly get played at all as the J-15 is such a joy to play. I dare say I prefer the tone coming out of the J-15 to that of my D18, D28, D35 and SP000-16R, by a long shot.

So my dilemma. I keep looking at J-45's and wonder if the tone would be that much of an improvement over the J-15. So far I've played a few J-45 Standards and I can't say that I've been wowed by any of them. Either Gibson purposefully made J-15's to be outright killer sounding guitars, or I got a truly exceptional one.

But back to the J-45. I find I'm a sucker for the look/appeal of the belly up bridge and, of course, the burst. Silly, I know. But I'd hate to think that my only reason for wanting one is just for the aesthetics.

Anyway, here is a pic of my J-15. Sorry for the ramble. On wicked pain meds for sciatica...

Old 12-10-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch4me View Post
But back to the J-45. I find I'm a sucker for the look/appeal of the belly up bridge and, of course, the burst. Silly, I know. But I'd hate to think that my only reason for wanting one is just for the aesthetics.

Anyway, here is a pic of my J-15. Sorry for the ramble. On wicked pain meds for sciatica...

What a beaut!!! Holy cow! I completely understand where you’re coming from on the aesthetics. I didn’t think I cared about that at all, but my old man had an old es-125 Tobacco Sunburst around when I was a kid, and I think there is something about that burst calling to me. Could be I just want a new toy. Either way, I’m going to have to scratch this itch before long. [emoji57]
Old 12-15-2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakav View Post
Idon’t know if it’s holiday GAS setting in, but I’ve had a J-45 front of mind for the last two months. Lingering on the few Buy/Sell pages I visit, scanning for a new to me J-45.
In my searches, I’m coming across standard models, vintage, vos, true vintage, and reissues. I’m sure some of you have played all the iterations of the J-45. I have played none of them. If you were laying down your hard earned cash, which of the many models would you go with?
(Clubhouse leader at the moment is either a TV or the Banner Reissue, but that is a hefty chuck of change to put down, especially for my modest abilities… but also, I’m not a gear trader and would expect to hold onto any guitar for a good long while…)
I was doing the same thing… looking at J-45s obsessively for the past 2 months. I couldn’t resist. I sold some gear I wasn’t using and bought a barely uses 2020 J-45 Standard. I won’t lie: it’s really, REALLY cool 😎

Old 12-16-2021, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
I was doing the same thing… looking at J-45s obsessively for the past 2 months. I couldn’t resist. I sold some gear I wasn’t using and bought a barely uses 2020 J-45 Standard. I won’t lie: it’s really, REALLY cool 😎

Very nice! I like the burst on that one.

I did the same thing, mine should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Looking forward to adding a Gibson to my collection of Martin-style guitars.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:58 AM

I wasn't looking for a J-45 as I already had a J-15 and a '67 J-50....then a '19 standard J-45 popped up on CL less than 5 miles from the farm (and I live in the middle of nowhere).

Bought it, sold the '67, gig mostly with the J-15 but the J-45 is on the wall hanger beside my chair.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I had taken the pick guard off of mine when I first got it. I play finger style so I don't need the guards and I like the look.

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had taken the pick guard off of mine when I first got it. I play finger style so I don't need the guards and I like the look.
They look great with no pickguard, don't they? The pickguard that my 2017 came with was absolutely hideous, and it had the big chunky grovers that I hate. I replaced the pickguard with a firestripe terrapin guard and replaced the tuners with a more vintage-styled grover. I debated leaving the pickguard off, but I'm more of a strummer so I opted to put it back on.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 12-16-2021, 06:10 PM

If I were in the market for a J-45, I'd get the Eastman version. No question about it!
Old 12-16-2021, 06:45 PM

My favorite J-45s that I've played were the standard model from the mid-2000s — with no preinstalled electronics, gold decal headstock inlay, cream button tuners, bone nut, and the much-maligned over-the-rosette pickguard placement. I thought they were more lightly-built than the more recent standard J-45s that have the inlaid headstock logo and the black nut.

I'm all set in the sunburst slope-D/jumbo department, but if I were looking for a J-45 right now, I would probably center my search around the 50s model from their "original" series — if only because I prefer the more classic aesthetic. I might even go so far as to order one without the pickguard installed so I could go with the smaller, more traditional shape, but the larger guard wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me per se.

If I was after a J-45-style guitar at a lower price point, I'd look into the Guild DS-240 as well as the Farida J-45-size guitars that Elderly orders.

And if I were looking at spending more on a Gibson custom shop or vintage-spec J-45, I'd also want to be looking at some of the small-shop equivalents. My favorites have been Fairbanks and Collings, but I have no doubt they're all pretty great in that range.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion