The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl View Post
Is the same video where this guy really ran down Taylor guitars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHzwK...e_gdata_player

Wow...think ill just leave this one alone. This guitar is far from "crap"
I've seen this video before and I think this guy has an ax to grind about Taylor guitars. I didn't see anything that would classify that guitar as crap.
The action on a guitar is driven by playing style and personal preference. As you can see by some of the responses on this thread. If you play mostly aggressive strumming and flatpicking as in Bluegrass music then you will need a little higher action. If you play mostly fingerstyle then you will probably want a little lower action.
I've watched a series of videos by this same guy documenting a neck reset and I was unimpressed w/ his luthery skills. He seemed to be mostly dragging it out and making lame jokes.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM

Snug with a quarter on the low E string? ha.....

All my guitars are what I would characterize as medium-low action and they dont come close to "snug".
Old 02-06-2012, 09:48 PM

The "standard" string height at the 12th fret should be around 3/32" (low) - 4/32" (high) on the low E and 2/32" (low) - 2/32" (high) on the high e, according to the specs we used at school. I have noticed a number of people think 3/32" on the low E and 2/32" on the high e are way too high, but it can be a real challenge to get the action much lower unless the frets are perfect.

On acoustics, I measure at the 13th with the first fret capoed to take the string height at the nut out of the equation.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB View Post
The "standard" string height at the 12th fret should be around 3/32" (low) - 4/32" (high) on the low E and 2/32" (low) - 2/32" (high) on the high e, according to the specs we used at school. I have noticed a number of people think 3/32" on the low E and 2/32" on the high e are way too high, but it can be a real challenge to get the action much lower unless the frets are perfect.

On acoustics, I measure at the 13th with the first fret capoed to take the string height at the nut out of the equation.
I buy all my guitars used, and the flattops invariably come to me with what I would call near unacceptably low action. Not to say they play badly. The last guitar I bought, probably 18 months ago was a gorgeous Larrivee sunburst slope dread. Plays clean with mediums at a height of just a hair over 2/32nds on the low E. I've left it there because it's so brilliantly setup but dang. I like my high E at 3/32nds! But every time I play it I wonder how much richer it might sound higher, and how fun it would be to play slide on it. But it plays so clean and fast like it is for Celtic and Hawaiian I dare not touch it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion