The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-17-2022, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

They really are great guitars.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
A lot of us were in this boat for years. It all changed when they released the Historic collection in 2020. They’re wonderful guitars.
I bought my Historic 1957 SJ-200 when all the positive reviews started rolling in from NAMM in January 2020 when Gibson released this series.

Best comment overheard at the event ... "Where did Gibson find all these old guitars in such great condition?"

p.s. They come with a 'period correct' hard case too which is a cool touch by Gibson.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-19-2022, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I REALLY don'#t need another guitar, and I'm usually more attracted to pre 1934 Martin designs but I've looked at this model and it certainly does look cool!

However, every time I've tried to buy a Gibson flat top I've found them substandard, either in tonality or presentation or both.

I sincerely hope that you derive great joy from this good one!

I'm relatively new to acoustics, so my palate may not be quite as developed as some lol. But as they say...ignorance is bliss! I think it would be cool to get this guitar in your hands to see if you shared the same sentiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Whoa! I would buy a Jumbo if only because it has the best neck on any slope shoulder jumbo Bozeman offers. But as is typical of Bozeman when it comes to guitars with dates added to the model name while they get some things right, they also get some things wrong. For whatever reason they will not go the extra mile and build the Jumbo with the three tone bars and relatively un-tapered body the originals had, the combination of which set that model apart from all other slope shoulder jumbos Gibson built in the 1930s.
That is odd. I'm only learning more about the originals after purchasing this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Congrats Jdog, looks great!

I’ve heard that the body taper from neck heel to tail is fairly minimal on these guitars. Would one of you who own this model mind measuring the body depth at the heel and at the tail for me? Thanks
Just saw this. I'll get you a measurement when I'm home from work.
Old 09-19-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Congrats Jdog, looks great!

I’ve heard that the body taper from neck heel to tail is fairly minimal on these guitars. Would one of you who own this model mind measuring the body depth at the heel and at the tail for me? Thanks

4.5" at the heel and a hair over 4.75" at the tail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion