The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBehindGuitar View Post
Okay so you love your mattress. How about your wife? Did you do similar research on her? Maybe you should go back and re-order your post, to something like,

After a spouse, I think two of the hardest things one needs to find in life are a mattress and a computer chair!

BTW what brand of mattress are you in love with ?

Bye
its a joke dude! I have a discontinued Nest latex hybrid. They changed it...still good. Not as good.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popguy View Post
its a joke dude! I have a discontinued Nest latex hybrid. They changed it...still good. Not as good.
Not to turn this into a mattress thread, but my Nest Alexander Hybrid is the most comfortable place in my entire house

I decided to order a Steelcase Gesture since it has the most adjustable arms of any high end chair. If I don't get along with that, I'll probably pursue a Herman Miller Aeron. Never thought I'd be spending this much on a chair, but I'm tired of being uncomfortable.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popguy View Post
Looking for a good chair to do recording on my DAW
AND also one the you can flip up the arms and comfortably play guitar. Good back support <back problems>
(not a big guy, 5/7)
I know a good computer chair can cost several thousand.
I am looking to spend under $300....or so!

any suggestions would be appreciated.
I went to Staples and sat in a few and picked one.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:40 AM

I bought an office chair without arms altogether. Not having a bad back or other issues, I find it quite comfortable for both doing what I'm doing now as I write this, and spun around 180 degrees with a guitar in my lap. About $100 from Amazon.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Lots of people are going to tell you what chair they use and most are not going to be very good for your back. I have back problems also and I was going through a chair every year or two for decades. I stopped playing that game about five years ago when I decided that owning a chair that helped my back was a lot better than owning a chair that my back would tolerate for a period of time.

Enter the Herman Miller Aeron chair, the most comfortable office chair I've ever owned. The chair has many adjustments that let you tailor it to your needs, including lumbar support which actually works. It also comes in three sizes, so if a regular sized office chair feels a bit big for you, you can buy the smaller size Aeron.

The chair doesn't allow you to flip the arms but it does allow you to easily lower the arms (so long as you order one with adjustable arms). When I lower the arms on mine, they sit at about the middle of my hips and don't interfere at all when I play guitar.

As far as cost, yes, it's expensive, but more than five years after buying it, my chair still looks brand new and is still as supportive as the first day I sat in it. A while back, one of the arm pads got a tear in it. Totally my fault but the Herman Miller company sent me a new arm pad under warranty. The company covers your chair for 12 years. I fully expect to get 20+ years out of this chair and if it should break down to the point where simply buying a replacement part was no longer feasible, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. When I consider that I'd probably go through a dozen cheap office in those 20+ years, the Aeron chair becomes no more expensive than a long string of chairs that are bad for my back.

Earlier this year I started a thread about the Aeron chair and was surprised to find so many others using it and swearing by it. Do your back a favor.

I appreciate all the info it might make sense to go all the way and get the best. Can you really play guitar in this chair? I want to use it for recording as well as for the computer (mixing, editing video, reading bad news about everything)....As one use who has the chair commented "he kind of sits to the front of the chair to play guitar" If that's the case it won't work. Maybe no computer chair is ideal for playing guitar. Although Tim Peirce on youtube (great session player) swears by his expensive office chair and does session work from his cockpit surrounded by vintage amps and every modeler and effects rack known to man). Do the arms really go down low enough? And also do you think this chair would be good for someone 5'7'' 130lbs.
Thanks!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
chair, computer, guitar, lumbar