The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2022, 12:05 PM

I've been to local open mic nights where there are more people waiting to play with their guitars than there are audience members.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
Open mic night crowds and performers are very nice to one another. I've never seen one that wasn't.
I respectfully disagree...

Back in the early/mid-70's I was hitting the Greenwich Village musical open mics on a semi-regular basis, splitting the time between the stand-up comedy circuit with a young lady I met at work...

In the former case there was a very inbred little group, led by a then-young man infamous for his short fuse who served as de facto "gatekeeper" (if you know, you know)...

If you were a member of the club, you had it made...

If not, the frosty air when you took the stage was palpable - regardless of talent...

Oddly enough, we re-encountered on a live-recording session about 20 years later - I came to do what I was hired to do, he did what he did best...

There's an old saying about fine wine improving with age...

It's a far different story for fertilizer...
Old 08-23-2022, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

We have a good one that just opened back up after a 2.5 year hiatus. Nice stage and lights, great sound system.

The sound man runs it. He's kinda grouchy until you get to know him. He likes my old Guild.

The patrons are always kind and supportive. Lots of musical talent in this little town of mine.
2022 Taylor 712ce
Old 08-23-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

The monthly open mic in my town is run by a thoroughly lovely couple, who are also in a long-standing six-piece band. Beautiful folks. They hold the events either at a nice, intimate performing room behind a high-end guitar shop, or else outside at their gracious farm-like property. Great environments. The audience has grown up around the events and is made up of players and their friends. Everyone observes the standing rule that you stay to the end to make sure every performer is heard. There is no warmer or more appreciative audience than this group, supportive of everyone who gets up.

What’s not to like?

You only get one song, or two for a duo. At the last event, which was outside in the evening, my guitar went out of tune while I waited for my slot. I couldn’t get the darn thing right when my turn came. It was all I could think about, and I quickly got out of the head space of the song.

I opted to skip it. The hosts went out of their way to try to help me, but to say I was disappointed is an understatement. I had come ready to debut a new song I wrote and had practiced down to a T. Music is an emotional medium. Putting your own original song out there is fraught with emotions of its own. I’d have to say I took it hard, and have passed on signing up for the last two months’ events.

I suppose I should look into how to keep my guitar in tune.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 08-23-2022, 12:45 PM

Never been to one; there are none around here that I am aware of and every 'jam' session I've ever been to ended up being a cutting contest to see who had the loudest amp and who could play the most boring blues.

Am I correct that most open mics are aimed at singers - no instrumentalists allowed because nobody wants to hear them?

In 50+ years of playing in front of audiences for money, I've never, ever played a venue that had anyone running sound and none had a PA that they would let you use if they had one (mostly Bogen or Radio Shack amps).

We have sort of a tourist/beach based economy and most want to see Hawaiian shirts and hear Jimmy Buffet music at their favorite waterside restaurants/bars.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
Open mic night crowds and performers are very nice to one another......
My experience as well. Worst case (though rare) is indifference, which still makes for a good -& painless- learning/polishing up experience.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I respectfully disagree...
Yes. I've heard of those types of groups. The ones who are too cool to have me in their group. I grew up knowing who the "cool kids" were and how to avoid them. I mainly hung out with the stoners and motorheads until I joined the military. Pretty laid back crowd really (the stoners and motorheads- not the military). Anyhow, I'm just saying that the open mic nights I've been to recently here in my town have been with really cool people. Sorry you have had to deal with jerks. I would just leave rather than be around those kinds of people. I tend to enjoy being a hermit.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Hearing this from a pro caliber player like you Jeff, is hard to believe. I don’t think anyone would be hard on you after hearing how you play. Even a hack like me gets a moment of appreciation! 🎶
frank d.
I don't really do open mics, unless I'm asked to, like if a friend is running it or something...so my comment and my experiences are more with how I've seen other people treated...and I must say, the way I've seen other people treated is kind why "I don't really do open mics."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-23-2022, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Smile If it’s fun

If it’s fun, it is good. To paraphrase Duke Ellington…. Haha

More house concert/jams, I say

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-23-2022, 01:30 PM

At most open mics, both the audience and other players will be very supportive, no matter your skill level. If not, find another open mic.

IMO, open mics are the best way to improve your skills. I would suggest finding smaller, less popular venues to start with. This usually means you will have time to play two or three songs. Watch a learn from the other players and the host--they have all been first-time performers and are usually willing to help you.

BTW, I don't think any of the above applies to standup comedy open mics. I think they can be pretty brutal!

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-23-2022, 01:36 PM

I love open mics. Performing for any audience is a privilege. So I always enjoy the opportunity to do an open mic locally or when traveling. It’s a great way to meet people and other musicians. Being a good audience member while others are performing can be a challenge if the participants aren’t very practiced. But, you can sometimes be surprised by a diamond in the rough. I don’t remember thinking my time was ever wasted.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Open Mics

Open mics vary tremendously from venue to venue. There is much to be said either way depending on your expectations and experience. IMO they offer a way for hobbyists and aspiring professionals to get some stage time. Working musicians will often show up if it’s an off night for them. Folks have already made some great points and after hosting an open mic at a listening room venue for a number of years I’d like to offer a few thoughts. If you’ve never been to the venue arrive early and introduce yourself to the host. If you have any questions now is the time to ask not when you’re on stage. When it’s your turn to perform insure that 1.) You’re in tune and ready to go 2.) If you have an onboard preamp that uses a battery insure that the battery is good BEFORE you step on stage. If you have a gain control on your preamp please put it to about mid-range and don’t touch it after that. 3.) Do your best and enjoy! Open mic etiquette is just golden rule kinda stuff, don’t converse loudly when someone is performing, if it’s a bar or restaurant purchase something and please stay till the end of the night. If you bring a bunch of non-musician friends to cheer you on please ask them to respect the other performers. And I agree, open mics are not designed for ten minute set-ups, long stories, music stands, backing tracks or giant pedal boards. When you become a rock star you’ll get a long sound check in the afternoon and a chance to work with the FOH mixer and the Monitor mixer. At an open mic don’t be alarmed if your guitar sounds like a mandolin crossed with a tuba in the monitors. You can ask the sound person for “more guitar” or “more vocal” but that’s about it. Just get on with it and have fun. It’s a great learning experience.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:48 PM

Thin skin is not an attribute beneficial when doing an open mic. My view has been to use the experiences as a test bed, similar to stand up comics trying out new material on an audience. If I tank, I look at the failure and ask why. Just try a different approach at the next open mic. Laugh it off with your friends. You know what they say, it’s not for everybody. It takes a certain breed.
frank d.
Old 08-23-2022, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Open mics do not exist to make your sound perfect. It may sound better out front, just like every gig you are ever likely to do. Open mics do train you to hit the ground running. One of the joys of open mic is seeing someone go from awful to tolerable by sticking with it while surrounded by better players. I admire that. Make sure you have a fresh battery in your guitar, not the one that came with it four years ago.

There are open mics run by guys just for their friends. Move on. There are also open mics run by dedicated folks intent on good sound for performer and audience both. Most are in between. Some are rowdy, some are attentive. Have material fit for both. One long term open mic uses a banquet room as overflow for the restaurant and bar in front. If there is a birthday party for 20 going on, you'd better have some uptempo numbers. Pretty good gig training though. Folks may think you suck, no one will say it to you. One early hump to get over is to not let what people may think get to you. Just go do your best. Your best will get better once you get over the nervousness, and keep doing it and you will. Go often enough and you'll be playing for friends.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-23-2022, 02:35 PM

There's only one in my area I'm interested in, I've checked out the recordings they've been doing since covid, and it looks chill & receptive. We're actually going tonight in part because I want to gauge it in person. One downside, all the music there is amplified, it's a nice PA, and the sound guys know their stuff, however nearly all performers at the venue are playing guitars with pickups and my acoustic doesn't have that.

I figure it's unlikely to be worse than performing before an audience of 300, many of whom know or will recognize me. I've felt ok about those, both speaking parts I've written, and playing / singing covers that are on the complex side for me.

The main bar I need to hit before going for the open mic will be getting my own tunes & lyrics written.. work in progress there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion