The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2024, 01:47 PM

Well, that certainly appears to be a gap/space. It could just be on the side facing, and then the rest of the wood is touching, possibly, as you go further 'in' - but personally would ask them to try and slip a piece of paper under that brace, and I would also tell them that if they tell you there is no gap, and you get the guitar and there is a gap, then it is coming back immediately, full expense to the seller, because they would have sold you the instrument in a condition other than what was stated. I am assuming you are on Reverb.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-20-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
Did you ask them to try to slide a dollar bill or corner of a piece of paper in there to see if it passes through?

no i didnt. but thats a good idea. i'll do that tomorrow!
Martin LX1R
Old 05-20-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Gibson literally can't win here. If they decide to make a vintage reissue guitar modern and clean, the purists will claim that they aren't making it authentic. If they actually make the guitar like they were actually making them in the 40's, people who want a modern guitar will be upset that it looks sloppy.

not sure what you mean. purists sure arent looking for a sloppy built guitar construction-wise.
If you compare Martin Authentics to Gibson Historics there is a big difference in quality
Martin LX1R
Old 05-20-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
Well, that certainly appears to be a gap/space. It could just be on the side facing, and then the rest of the wood is touching, possibly, as you go further 'in' - but personally would ask them to try and slip a piece of paper under that brace, and I would also tell them that if they tell you there is no gap, and you get the guitar and there is a gap, then it is coming back immediately, full expense to the seller, because they would have sold you the instrument in a condition other than what was stated. I am assuming you are on Reverb.

thanks for the suggestion. i guess i'll do that.
And no i am not buying it from reverb but from a music store in germany. i have the right to send the guitar back within 3 weeks even without a reason. so thats safe.
Martin LX1R
Old 05-20-2024, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM7 View Post
not sure what you mean. purists sure arent looking for a sloppy built guitar construction-wise.
If you compare Martin Authentics to Gibson Historics there is a big difference in quality
I'm not sure of the ettiquette of linking to other forums, but there's a thread on another guitar forum titled "Vintage Gibson bracing library" that has a great many pictures of the inside construction of classic era Gibson acoustics. But the gist is, the 40s models they're reproducing were always built in ways that wouldn't be accepted on any high-end guitar today, and we even expect tidier builds at the mid-market level.
I don't think they're consciously trying to recreate that, and obviously they need to be structrally sound, but it does look like fastidious neatness inside has never really been a big part of the Gibson flat top building style.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-20-2024, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I'm not sure of the ettiquette of linking to other forums, but there's a thread on another guitar forum titled "Vintage Gibson bracing library" that has a great many pictures of the inside construction of classic era Gibson acoustics. But the gist is, the 40s models they're reproducing were always built in ways that wouldn't be accepted on any high-end guitar today, and we even expect tidier builds at the mid-market level.

I don't think they're consciously trying to recreate that, and obviously they need to be structrally sound, but it does look like fastidious neatness inside has never really been a big part of the Gibson flat top building style.

true. and i am absolutely ok with a good sounding not-neat gibson. i just dont want any major defects that affect the construction of the guitar...like a loose brace
Martin LX1R
Old 05-20-2024, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Keep in mind that actual WWII era Gibsons were built by women with little experience. The men were assigned to war effort projects. Women were hired to build guitars. The actual builders helped as much as they could. So these guitars were not built by the usual Gibson crew.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-20-2024, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gibson literally can't win here. If they decide to make a vintage reissue guitar modern and clean, the purists will claim that they aren't making it authentic. If they actually make the guitar like they were actually making them in the 40's, people who want a modern guitar will be upset that it looks sloppy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM7 View Post
...purists sure aren't looking for a sloppy built guitar construction-wise...
I agree....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-20-2024, 03:05 PM

Not only is the brace not glued properly to the top plate but the joint itself shows no sign of glue along the mated edge. At least it doesn't have the extra hunk of wood that Driftwood Guitars found glued to the top plate when they did their Gibby evaluation.
Old 05-20-2024, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I believe the gap under the bracing is intended to be historically accurate.
Nailed it!
Old 05-20-2024, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Sure they could.

All it takes is following Bill Collings idea of following historic design and making it a quality product. Sloppy joints, poor glue up practices, and sub-standard workmanship shouldn't be part of calling a guitar "authentic". These guitars are plenty pricey, so there's no excuse for that.

I haven't actually seen one of these in a shop, but I'm pretty sure there's no hang tag that states that you can expect poor quality as part of the "Authentic Experience".
Old 05-20-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Not only is the brace not glued properly to the top plate but the joint itself shows no sign of glue along the mated edge. At least it doesn't have the extra hunk of wood that Driftwood Guitars found glued to the top plate when they did their Gibby evaluation.
I've said similar elsewhere, but I do think that Driftwood video over-eggs it a bit. Yes, the glue work isn't particularly neat, and the way they end the braces is an unusual decision, but I don't feel it adds up to all the shock-face youtuber schtick that he lays on. Then he sits there with the guitar sounding pretty good to my ears, going "meh, plasticy, uninspiring" and has to admit that it actually plays nicely.
Seeing that did not put me off buying a G45, albeit an earlier model with the body binding and some bracing differences to the one he looked at. I liked the neck, it plays well and it just had a sound I liked that wasn't there in much else in my range, and I'd rather trust to my hands and ears than whatever the luthiery YouTube influencer tells me is worthy.
Though I would absolutely expect a 5k model to show some better attention to detail than those entry level models.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-20-2024, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I've said similar elsewhere, but I do think that Driftwood video over-eggs it a bit. Yes, the glue work isn't particularly neat, and the way they end the braces is an unusual decision, but I don't feel it adds up to all the shock-face youtuber schtick that he lays on. Then he sits there with the guitar sounding pretty good to my ears, going "meh, plasticy, uninspiring" and has to admit that it actually plays nicely.
Seeing that did not put me off buying a G45, albeit an earlier model with the body binding and some bracing differences to the one he looked at. I liked the neck, it plays well and it just had a sound I liked that wasn't there in much else in my range, and I'd rather trust to my hands and ears than whatever the luthiery YouTube influencer tells me is worthy.
Though I would absolutely expect a 5k model to show some better attention to detail than those entry level models.
I agree totally. I do think it's good to show the alternate opinion from influencers who might be more flavored to liking one brand or another. It does seem that they simply tried to call it like they saw it, but they obviously hit a sore spot with Gibby lovers.

There is more than one manufacturer who needs to up their game when it comes to asking folks to pay top dollar with instruments that consistently fall short of providing quality. Kudos to those influencers (and forums...) who tip us off to instruments that may hold surprises for us down the line.

I feel better if someone goes into a purchase with a bit of warning so they can make an educated gamble on their purchasing decisions.
Old 05-20-2024, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

The Driftwood guy makes it sound like everyone else makes crap guitars but him.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-20-2024, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Curious, what store is this? In my opinion, this is a pass. Brace should be glued properly to the top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion