The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-04-2007, 10:20 AM

First of, it'll take the fun part of hunting for a new guitar totally out of the picture . My first guitar ever I've bought without playing first was my '06 Kronbauer. It did go against my principle of buying a guitar. When I was offered an early slot for getting one, I did some research on the net and I did ask questions to some of the Kronbauer owners here in the forum (ljguitar & johnny5). Their positive feedback along with their skill as guitar player made me pull the trigger. I did not regret it so far.
My advise for anybody considering buying a guitar without playing it would be to do as much research as possible. Then, if you feel comfortable with that go for it. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it, because you already start with bad mojo...it's not healthy.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Mail Order Buying

Interestingly enough, each of our tastes vary so much that what I think of as a "dog", you may well think is fantastic. Case in point: I bought a used Breedlove RD about 8 years ago for a good price-over the internet. The guitar was in near new condition, Adirondack spruce top with ebony sides/back. I thought "how could this instrument possibly not sound fantastic", especially since Larry Breedlove handmade it. Imagine my disappointment when I got the guitar, carefully inspected it and finally laid my fingers on her........only to hear the most unbalanced tone ever! Thundering bass and tinkly trebles with almost no midrange-I hated it. I held on to it for awhile thinking that the sound would grow on me (it didn't). Six months later, I worked a booth at a local guitar show and sold it for what I had into it to someone who was thrilled to get such a fine sounding instrument. Aaah, that's what makes us so unique and why the thrill of the hunt will always continue.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

Smile Thanks!

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the helpful responses. I’ll really have to check the return policy on the vendor. I guess Johnson is still a relatively unknown brand. The line’s designed by Greg Rich, formerly of Blueridge.
I was looking for a 000 sized short scale guitar, a second line instrument to my Taylor, and this thing seems to fit the bill.
The Mandolin Store http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/default.asp sells it on their eBay store. Are they a reputable dealer?
I’ll let you guys know if I pull the trigger on this one.

Thanks again!

Last edited by banpreso; 03-04-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:39 AM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpreso View Post
Is that really dangerous?
I've recently been checking out a guitar called Johnson Carolina JO-27. It's an 000 sized guitar with solid Engleman, solid EIR and short scale, all for a great value. The problem is, I can't find a local dealer that carries it. I could however, get it pretty easily from online dealers (ebay). The Carolina line have been getting great reviews from both other forums and guitar magazines. What do you guys think? Is it a really bad idea to buy a guitar without being able to play it first?
Perhaps this will help. Type your zip code and....voila ! Best regards....Kabookie

http://www.johnsongtr.com/Local-Stores.18.0.html
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 03-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Perhaps this will help. Type your zip code and....voila ! Best regards....Kabookie

http://www.johnsongtr.com/Local-Stores.18.0.html
yup, I tired that, and called the local stores listed, and they don't carry them. Thanks for the heads up.
That's so wired that there's not that many sizeable independent guitar retailers in SoCal. Buffalo Brothers is the only one I know, and they don't carry Johnsons.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:39 PM

I've bought three guitars sight unseen and have yet to regret it. But like others, I always make sure they have a return policy that I can live with.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 03-05-2007, 04:26 PM

I have no problem with buying any music gear sight-unseen. For me, trying out a guitar (or an amp or a pedal) in a store has no relation to how that piece of gear will play out in the long run. There are too many other variables.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:44 PM

I personally strongly feel that when I buy a guitar its very much a touchy/feely kind of thing. A guitar is a personal thing, that you gotta touch, feel and hear before you can really know. BUT, I just totally went against this philosophy this weekend and bought a guitar off of Ebay. But then it was a Taylor, I have a clue about Taylors. They are consistant.

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/
Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM
Untitled Traditional

I haven't done it yet. But then, I'm very much into the feel of an instrument. And they end up being impulse purchases as much as anything.

But I'd do it in a heartbeat if the guitar was right.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Default I did it

I pulled the trigger. I called the store and got a great deal on it, and there's a 2 day return policy, with me paying return shipping. Not bad... It'll take 5 days to ship they said. Dennis at the mandolin store was very helpful .
We'll see....

Last edited by banpreso; 03-07-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM

well, i played my taylor 312 before i bought, but it took 3 months of playing at home to realize the short scale neck aint for me, makes me feel cramped. it took me 3 motnhs playing a lot, nearly everyday for an hr, to figure this out. cetainly i cant put inthis kind of time to buy a guitar, else the guitar i want would be long sold. less i ordered online of course. i guess, younever really know, but i will play it first before i buy....but it doesnt always end up wokring out like you envisioned it would while playing it for the first time.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 03-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
well, i played my taylor 312 before i bought, but it took 3 months of playing at home to realize the short scale neck aint for me, makes me feel cramped. it took me 3 motnhs playing a lot, nearly everyday for an hr, to figure this out. cetainly i cant put inthis kind of time to buy a guitar, else the guitar i want would be long sold. less i ordered online of course. i guess, younever really know, but i will play it first before i buy....but it doesnt always end up wokring out like you envisioned it would while playing it for the first time.
wow, good point, but I have small hands and can't strech and get some of the chords I wanna play cleanly, so I thought to give the short scale a try. If it doesn't work out, I think I'll have little problem passing this guitar off to someone else.
So that's why you were talking to your wife a bout a new guitar uh? j/k.
A few month ago before I got my Taylor, I couldn't understand why people would want other guitars once they've already have something really nice like a Taylor, but now I see what GAS is.

Last edited by banpreso; 03-07-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodruff View Post
hi woodruff
you have been writing in some threads you are not felling good with the short
scale, i think you need some pacience to get use... i play a 8 strings 2.5 inches
the other 8 strtings (ramirez) is almost 2 3/4 inches, then the 6 strings 2 inches and finally the small steel yamaha 1 11/16
i can tell you is just focus with each instrument, after a while i feel ok in all
this different axes, when a had my first 8, took me about 1 year to get use
i switched with a 6 strings, that is what you can do, when you get tired use
your long scale guitar!!
eblen
Old 03-07-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabalan View Post
hi woodruff
you have been writing in some threads you are not felling good with the short
scale, i think you need some pacience to get use... i play a 8 strings 2.5 inches
the other 8 strtings (ramirez) is almost 2 3/4 inches, then the 6 strings 2 inches and finally the small steel yamaha 1 11/16
i can tell you is just focus with each instrument, after a while i feel ok in all
this different axes, when a had my first 8, took me about 1 year to get use
i switched with a 6 strings, that is what you can do, when you get tired use
your long scale guitar!!
eblen
thanks for the advise, kabalan, it has only been 3 months. and i really love this guitar. will see....am in no hurry to move on from her at this point....will give it some more time....got a great plugged in tone too. i have played her in every position i can think of, now i am strapping it and raising it high up on top of my belly area. like the feel, but the pain is in the left hand, and i think tis cause my fingers are looking/wanting to widen or broaden out to reach the fres in a standard scale. and feels cramped. i notice/noticed shoulder pain in both shoulders too after about a month. bummer....but maybe/hopefully it is my body adjusting to years of improper posture with an old martin dread i used to lean on....

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 PM

I've bought new guitars online, from dealers I trust and brands I know, so suprises are limited.

As far as used guitars go, I guess it would be dependant on what the guitar was and who the dealer was. Care of instruments is so crucial that its better to purchase used guitars in person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion